Pomegranate Roasted Carrots with Feta and Brown Butter.
Alternate title: I Don’t Know How To Serve Anything Without Cheese.
Alternate title #2: Or Brown Butter.
Alternate title #3: But Why Would I.
Let’s talk about pro tips from a brown butter aficionado!
First, learn how to brown it and second, put it on everything. How’s that for being concise?
So, the crazy thing about growing up and hating vegetables is that I never liked the simple ones. Carrots, no. Celery, hell no. Peppers, not really. Everything else, meh. And as I’ve grown and
forced taught myself to like certain ones, it’s always the super weird varieties that I end up enjoying – like brussels, kale and cabbage-y things. Ones that aren’t usually faves. You know? My mom still can’t believe I eat brussels on the regular.
In order to stop that madness, I’m really tryyyyyying to make myself enjoy the easier ones. Eh. Well that’s a lie. The real reason is that I love feeding Max all kinds of different things and watching him try new foods. Plus, rainbow carrots are like a Lisa Frank-loving, 80s girl’s dream. It was meant to be!
Also, major obsession this year already: pomegranate molasses. I’ve used it before (in cake!) but have almost finished an entire bottle this season. I’ve roasted tons of vegetables with it and it’s similar to a balsamic vinegar with that pomegranate punch. LOVE.
The verdict? Eddie is already a huge fan of carrots so he loved ’em. Max seemed to be a fan too, though you can often find him shoveling leaves, toy train pieces and cardboard books in his mouth. And the wildest thing is that even I liked them. Whaaaaaat. But you could probably smother anything in brown butter and cheese and I’d eat it. What does that say about me?
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced length-wise
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter browned
- 3 to 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the carrots on the sheet and toss with the olive olive and 3 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes then toss, roasting for 10 to 15 more, or until they are caramely and soft and golden.
- Remove the sheet from the oven. Drizzle the last tablespoon of molasses on top and sprinkle with herbs. Drizzle the melted butter, cover with feta and serve!
Maybe it was the rainbow-ness? Probably.