Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries.
I’ll hold on a minute while you grab a defibrillator.
Just have a bite! One trashed up bite. We can do it together. It won’t be bad.
I have wanted to make homemade cheese fries foreVeR. Really forever. My favorites are found at Shake Shack and since we don’t have a Shake Shack here, I only eat cheese fries maybe once a year. I love those ones so much, no need to waste a meal or snack or 2am treat on any others.
Unless it’s my own! Obviously.
This is pretty much my dream casual party appetizer. Certainly for the Super Bowl, but also maybe for a random Saturday night.
There is no need to make your own fries – we’ve had great ones from the freezer section! – but if you really want to and don’t have tons of time, you can roast wedges.
I’ve done this before with my crispy roasted buffalo oven fries and it’s as close to a fried fry as I can get. Plus, it can totally be dinner too. Since it’s not… a “fry.”
Can somebody tell me… why oh why oh why is the buffalo chicken flavor combo so freaking fabulous?! It’s not like I’ve been eating it my whole life either… maybe come high school and college? So it’s not a nostalgia or sentimental thing (which I am always guilty of, always), it’s just a holy-cow-this-is-dang-good thing.
If there’s any question to where my buffalo love lies, let’s check it out:
stovetop buffalo chicken shells and cheese
crunchy buffalo chicken salads
buffalo chicken grilled cheese
It’s clear that I HAVE A PROBLEM. The proof is in the repetitive (buffalo) pudding. Apologies?
Beer cheese fondue! This is how cheese fries should be done. Cheese fry goals, right here.
Oh hello meltiest cheese that I ever did see.
So since I’ve talked about these flavors ten million times, I’ll spare you that. This is clearly the most decadent comfort food. No, I really don’t think you should eat it for dinner but yes, I absolutely think that you should make a plate to share with friends.
PLUS, you’re making it at home, so you know exactly what is going into it. I mean, it’s practically good for you when you look at it that way.
Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries
- 4 russet potatoes, thinly sliced (peeled if you like)
- canola, vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce + extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime wedge
beer cheese fondue
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup beer
- 10 ounces freshly grated white cheddar cheese
- To make the homemade fries, slice the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit for one hour. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil in a large pot fitted with a candy thermometer. Once the oil reaches 350 degrees F, add a handful of potatoes and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and place them on a paper towel; repeat with other potatoes. When they are all finished frying once, you want to fry again. Add a handful of fries again and fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove and place on a new paper towel to drain.
- To make the chicken, eat a large skillet over medium-high heat and the add olive oil. Toss chicken with salt and pepper, then add to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Once cooked through, add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in buffalo wing sauce and butter. Stir to toss and coat.
- Place the fries in a bowl or on a plate – or leave on the baking sheet! Cover with some of the cheese sauce, then a drizzle of wing sauce and some chicken. You can do the fries in layers too. As as much cheese sauce as you’d like, all of the chicken, lots of extra drizzles of wing sauce and crumbled gorgonzola. Cover with green onions, chives, cilantro and a spritz of lime. If desired, you can also add a drizzle of ranch on the fries.
beer cheese fondue
- To make the beer cheese sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until golden and fragrant and bubbly. Add in beer, whisking well to combine, then reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until totally melted and smooth. Keep over low heat and stir every few minutes until drizzling over fries.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
This is enough of a touchdown for me.
48 Comments on “Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries.”
Ha! Ha! I love your logic that made at home = good for you. I suddenly feel super healthy with all those cakes and cookies I’ve been devouring.
But before I get too excited I need to think about being able to zip up my pants (sad face). Hmm. . .perhaps I should be thinking about it more as being good for the soul when it needs an occasional boost. . .nothing wrong with that, right? And can I say that these divinely comforting fries are definitely good for the soul. Why. . .they could put a smile on anyone’s face.
These are the fries of my dreams!!! The buffalo chicken flavor combo will never get old. I will be slipping into my fat pants and enjoying every last one of these on Super Bowl Sunday!
GIRRRL. this is so buff to the bone I can’t even handle it.
There is NOTHING better than buffalo anything… These are life right now :-)
Oh my goodness, everything I love on top of french fries!! This… this is all I want for my Bachelorette Party. Sending the link to my maid of honor now!
Oh em geeee! Seriously?? I just finished a workout and checked your blog to find these! I want all the cheese fries. These look tremendous!
Looks so yummy!
The road to heaven is paved with these fries, I just know it. I’m obsessed! These look so totally bomb.
Well, these totally can be dinner because there’s chicken and any time you add protein to something…it instantly makes it an acceptable dinner. At least that’s how I’m going to justify it when they pop up for dinner sometime in the next week.
These are completely out of control and I cannot think of a single thing I would rather eat at this moment. oooooo emmmmm geeeeee please come to Chicago and make them for me!
Fondue fries? Enough said. This is dinner!
Thank you for helping us plan our Super Bowl party menu! These are to die for!
Fondue fries? How is this a thing I’ve never had in my life before???’
Pingback: Fun Football Foods! | Rodelle Kitchen Blog
This looks like the most delicious thing I’ve ever seen!!!! Omg the cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)
Jessica, Oh my, those look amazing! Like you, I don’t know what it is about buffalo anything. But I am hooked too.
I’m a newbie to blogging, it’s almost my first anniversary. Yay! I am so glad I came across your blog last year, I love your writing style, your food, and that you write often. =D You have been a behind the scenes example to me.
Keep it coming,
GOODNESS! This is my heaven in recipe form! Love love.
I mean, are you kidding me right now? This is everything good about food all on one plate. Unbelievable!
Looks really good, now I’m hungry :)
Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries – Imvges
Looking at this post at 7pm was a bad idea! x
these look amazing! Do you use store-bought sauce? Is there one you’d recommend? I’ve never made buffalo anything at home and I think that needs to end with these fries!!
If I could, I would name a street after you for making this. All my fav flavors and then some!!!
Pingback: Spicy Margaritas + Roasted Poblano Corn Dip - Twin Stripe Blog
Pingback: Thursday Thoughts - Raising Chaos
Pingback: Food on Friday # 18 Appetisers and Snacks | JackCollier7
Pingback: because, game day ?. – 23rd Sense
Shake Shack over Potato Patch?? For me, nothing beats waiting in the sun for 45 minutes for a nice greasy helping of Potato Patch french fries smothered in cheese and seasoned salt. That’s the official PGH start of summer in my world!
So I am a SERIOUS buffalo-lover and I know I have a kindred spirit in you – so when I am craving buffalo I ALWAYS come to this site. Perhaps…..you should make an entire buffalo category in your recipe index? Not that I don’t have fun stumbling over other delishiocities while I’m on my buffalo hunt. I do.
Pingback: 4/20 – Faded in Ferragamo
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall - Buzz And Gossip
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall | 8Gossip.com|All Gossip News
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall – Spectaculapps
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall – Amra Media
Pingback: 15 Candy And Savory Methods To Prepare dinner With Beer This Fall | GetUsaNews
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall – FetchEgg
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall | My Fads
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall – Gossiprity
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall | socibuz
Pingback: 15 Sweet And Savory Ways To Cook With Beer This Fall – News To Be Shared
Pingback: Thrive at Five Meal Plan Week 36 - Kleinworth & Co
Pingback: 125 of My Favorite Recipes for Football Season! Football Food! – Fruitide
Pingback: 12 Tasty Snacks for the Big Game - The Ibotta Blog
Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Pizza - Guacamole Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Pingback: Guacamole Buffalo Chicken Pizza. – Fruitide
Pingback: Guacamole Buffalo Chicken Pizza. - Proper Health Today
Pingback: 8+ Snacks + TV Shows Pairings for Your Netflix + Hulu Binge Sessions – Painting your life!
Pingback: Poutine Poulet Buffalo – Le Marché Esposito