Asparagus Grilled Cheese with Brown Butter and Dijon.
If we put asparagus in our grilled cheese, does that turn it into a superfood?
That is the question.
But I probably really don’t want to hear your answer, unless it’s OH HECK YES.
This sandwich might look a little plain or boring, but I can assure you that it is anything BUT.
This grilled cheese gets bonus points because it’s toasted with brown butter and spread with a bit of Dijon before grilling. The flavor seems simple but it is crazy insane! The brown butter and Dijon give it a caramely kick that it wouldn’t have otherwise.
The funny thing is that we really love asparagus over here! 99% of the time, we don’t trash it up in any way. We either roast it or grill it. I don’t even add bacon! Sometimes I drizzle on balsamic glaze or use a touch of parmesan cheese, but other times it’s just olive oil, salt and pepper. That’s how much we enjoy it.
So WHY must I go do things that make me love it even more? Like stick it inside a grilled cheese? Seems very unfair to the poor little asparagus who just want to be part of a healthy meal.
Orrrr… maybe they don’t. Maybe they secretly love being blanketed in melty cheese and crunchy toast.
While I’m loving these for lunch or dinner with a salad or soup, I’m really into the idea of making mini baguette versions and serving them for appetizers while entertaining friends! How cute would that be?
So here’s the deal. You want to make the brown butter first – even ahead of time so it’s on hand and solidified! It will look sort of funky. Maybe like bacon grease. But it is LOADED with flavor.
The asparagus is pan-roasted first, super quick, just so we’re not eating raw asparagus and all that. In the same pan, we cook the grilled cheese that has been spread with the brown butter outside and some dijon mustard inside. Tons of cheese stuffed inside, the most meltiest (yep, it’s a new word) havarti ever. Then finished with a parmesan sprinkle. Because the only thing a grilled cheese needs is more cheese.
Asparagus Grilled Cheese with Brown Butter and Dijon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter browned
- 12 asparagus spears woody stems removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 6 ounces havarti cheese freshly grated
- finely grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Toss in the asparagus and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper, stirring often, until the asparagus has softened and looks a bit roasted. Remove it and set it on a plate.
- To assemble the grilled cheeses, spread the insides of the bread with the dijon mustard. Spread the outsides with the browned butter. Fill the insides of the bread with the grated cheese, placing the asparagus spears in the middle. I find it imperative to have cheese on both sides to act like “glue” and hold the sandwich together!
- Once golden, toasty and the cheese is melted, remove the sandwich from the heat and sprinkle with parmesan. Slice and serve!
Bonus points for green stuff too!