Salted Dark Chocolate Fudge Donuts.
Guys! GUESS WHAT this week is?!
National donut day!! Salted dark chocolate fudge donuts to the rescue.
Only the best day to ever exist. Really. It is.
National donut day is the first Friday in June and it might be a holiday created just for me.
So – I have had dark chocolate sea salt donuts on the brain since we went to Maine last summer and had Holy Donuts. The dark chocolate sea salt one was insane, and while there were other amazing flavors like sweet potato and pomegranate and toasted coconut and… and… and maple bacon, the chocolate sea salt was my favorite by far.
I was sure that it was because I was super pregnant with Emilia at the time and salty sweet things tasted amazing. BUT. The combo has never left my mind.
And obviously, I’ve had salted chocolate things before. I say THINGS which makes me sound real fancy and knowledgeable, huh? Impressive, I know.
By these THINGS, I mean desserts. Cookies and brownies and treats like that. But this combo was so fantastic that light that I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
Let me tell you about them!
Because I’ve made chocolate fudge donuts before. Even just last year.
These are different though. I went with a recipe from King Arthur and basically, I should call these BROWNIE DONUTS.
They are delicate but fudgy. When I say that, I mean that you must let them cool completely before dipping them. They are so light and fudgy that the chocolate icing can weigh them down and cause them to crumble, so process with gentleness!
The donut itself is fabulous and with the icing? So rich. Then we add salt and I just die.
If the rich salty chocolate isn’t your thing, I have soooo many other donut recipes for you. Strawberry sprinkle, lemon cheesecake, tres leches coconut, chocolate pistachio, blueberry donut muffins, chocolate donut holes, chocolate glazed cake donuts and last year’s puff pastry peanut butter chocolate donuts.
Donut overload, I tell you.
That’s definitely not a problem for me though.
Every year I post my donut recipe ON national donut day, but the thing is that if I do that, you might not have time to make them for a celebration! So I’m sharing them today so you can hurry hurry hurry and make these babies for Friday.
Yep yep get to it.
Salted Dark Chocolate Fudge Donuts
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk whole or 2%
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, espresso powder and salt. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, oil, milk, vanilla extract and vinegar until combined. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until they are just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the donut pan about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until the donuts are set. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip onto a piece of parchment paper and let them cool completely.
- Once cool, dip the donuts in the chocolate fudge and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!
chocolate fudge icing
- Add the chopped chocolate to a bowl. Heat the cream in a saucepan over low heat just until bubbles appear around the edges and it’s warm. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 30 seconds, then stir continuously until it’s smooth. Stir in the butter and set aside until ready to use.
That stack gets me.