My 2018 Summer Reading List.
What a way to kick off Memorial Day weekend!
I kind of can’t stop singing “it’s the most wonderful time of the year” in my brain because there is NOTHING better than reading all summer! Sharing my summer reading list is one of my favorite things to do. If you even knew how much time went into crafting this list of things I want to read? Um, an embarrassing amount of time.
And it’s just books I personally want to read. It’s not books I think everyone should read or anything – it’s all the books I am truly interested in reading. Woohoo!
For many years – and I mean MANY years – my favorite thing to do was head to Barnes and Noble in May and just stand in front of the fiction & lit aisle and look at the new releases, or the books displayed to see what I wanted to read for summer. Back then, I read the inside flap to decide if I really want to read it, but the color and cover are what largely determined my choice. Now with reviews? It’s so easy! I’ve been compiling this list for months and am so excited because last year’s summer reading list was everything. I still go back and reference it, along with the comments!
If you’re new around here, you should know that I’m a crazy unapologetic fan of most types of women’s fiction (and yes of course chick-lit!). Light, fun, beachy reads are my fave. I read to escape, to get lost in the story, to feel like the characters are my friends. And I actually love the day after I finish a great book and can’t even stand to start a new one because I’m mourning my new (character) friends. I know some of you get me!
I don’t want to read super sad or scary or depressing books, no matter how great they are. Occasionally there is an exception or two, and when there is I have to read about 45 happy books after it to counteract the one. Some thrillers are okay, just depends on my mood.
So, these are what I’ve picked down below! We’re actually going to take the summer reading list a little further this year, but stay tuned until next week for that.
I can’t WAIT to hear your recommendations in the comments, what you’re reading now and what’s on your list!
1. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I started this (twice!) but admittedly just didn’t get to finish it with the book tour these last two months. Dying to really get into it and enjoy. My mom loved it and can’t stop talking about it.
8. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. I love a book that I can’t put down, so this one definitely seems to fit that.
10. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. This is one of the “older” (as in, not released this year) books on my list, but last year after Bear Town, so many of you told me to read this. I never did, then my mom read it for her book club and just loved it. So I’m in! Doing it.
11. Sisters First by Jenna and Barbara Bush. You guys know I am obsessed with presidential history, so whenever there is a book like this, I’m all over it.
23. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I’ve heard so many mixed reviews on this (my mom loved it though, my cousin thought it was slow to start, etc) but I think I have to bite the bullet and read it.
Edited to add – here are a few books that I’ve added since initially posting:
The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen
Us Against You by Fredrick Backman
I can’t wait to hear your list! And be sure to check out last year’s list for a list of my favorite authors and more books. xo