Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus, Olives and Feta.
That time when you make the roasted cauliflower that you like to eat at the mall.
Yep. It happens.
If you follow me on Instagram, then you see that every few weeks we do a big mall day. It sounds so 90s (okay, it is so 90s), but there is more to it, I swear!
Growing up, every Friday, my mom, aunt, Lacy, Mother Lovett and I would go shopping and spend the ENTIRE day out. Sometimes our brothers would come but most of the time, my grandpa would watch them and it would be a girls’ day. I even remember doing this in kindergarten, when I only had school for half a day. We did it forever!
It was so fun and I swear it ingrained mall shopping in me at a young age. Yes, I realize how seriously ridiculous that sounds. But it wasn’t about buying things, per se. It was really just about the routine or… dare I say it, the ritual of us all going together.
The reason this even matters at all (okay maybe it doesn’t but INDULGE ME) is because this cauliflower dish is my version of the one served at Nordstrom café and it.is.wonderful.
Like so good.
Frankly, it’s not much to look at. Roasted cauliflower (beige) with hummus (beige) and Kalamata olives (eggplant-ish?) does not the most vibrant plate make.
The flavor is insane. It’s so much more than you would expect.
The thing is that I have made plenty of recipes that are super delicious but that don’t translate well to photos. They end up being ugly or unappealing.
And I sort of felt like this was one of those, but I couldn’t help it. Because this is so freaking good and I must tell you about it.
There is a richness from the roasted cauliflower, a briney bite from the olives and it all comes together with this creamy hummus. Topped with tangy feta and some herbs or microgreens. Ugh. Totally going to make it again for dinner tonight because it’s addictive. And it works perfectly as a meal, a side dish, lunch or even an app!
Just how much do I love it? A few weeks ago my mom and I were starving after being out all day and not eating. Nordstrom Café was closing but we could still get takeout – and we got this in a takeout box, then I promptly stood over my kitchen sink at home and devoured it. Even though it was cold by that time, it was excellent. These flavors together are dreamy!
Now you know.
Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus, Olives and Feta
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the cauliflower head into large pieces or simply break it into florets. Place it on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the cauliflower. Drizzle with the olive oil. Season the cauliflower with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Roast the cauliflower for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and toasty. While the cauliflower is roasting, make the hummus.
- Once everything is finished, spread some hummus on a plate or in a bowl and top with the cauliflower. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil if desired. Sprinkle with the olives, feta, herbs or microgreens. Serve!
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, the lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in your food processor. Puree until the chickpeas break down and the mixture starts to come together (it probably won’t be smooth at this point!). Make sure to scrape the sides with a spatula. Drizzle in the ice water. Blend it for a minute or two – just let it go! Once the water is in, the hummus should really start to get smooth – if you need a little more water, add it 1 tablespoon at a time. Drizzle in the olive oil. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
I mean, it’s my kind of mall food.