Side Dish Sundays: Avocado Citrus Salad.
I’m hoping this avocado citrus salad can bring us out of dreary January.
Because it’s the longest month ever! Right? In other words, we need something bright.
This week we’re going out of the box! An avocado citrus salad to bring us some sunshine.
Juicy, tart citrus. And then, creamy avocado. Tangy pickled red onion. Finished with a honey lime vinaigrette to bring everything together.
As a result, this salad is super refreshing. It’s light, bright, tart but sweet from the vinaigrette. And super easy to throw together in these winter months.
When it comes to salads, there are entrée salads and starter salads.
And then there are crazy salads that don’t have any lettuce and a rely on a base of juicy citrus!
Admittedly, this salad is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. But if you want to celebrate all that citrus season has to offer, it’s perfect. I love it so much with lighter chicken dishes, but it’s by far the best with shrimp and fish/salmon dishes.
If you want to serve it for someone who might be like “what the heck” come dinnertime, I suggest starting with only oranges and avocado. You could do cara cara or blood oranges, heck you could even do mandarin oranges drained from juice. It’s definitely a way to get someone interested when the grapefruit or meyer lemon may freak them out.
I absolutely love that you can make this dish sweeter (blood orange, meyer lemon) or more tart (grapefruit, lime!). It’s customizable to your palate. And if you’re feeling it, you can throw the whole thing over some greens to bulk it up too!
Here are just a few of the dishes I love with the avocado citrus salad:
Avocado Citrus Salad
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 meyer lemon, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- quick pickled onions, for topping
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- The key here is to use the citrus that you love most! No need to follow this recipe exactly.
- Layer the segmented citrus, avocado slices and pickled onions on a plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle on the honey lime dressing.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Drizzle it over the salad and serve!
So bright it makes me happy.