Marinated Christmas Cheese! It’s a Thing.
It’s time to make this the merriest Christmas with marinated cheese!
I know. I get it. It sounds weird.
But I’m coming in with a special Tuesday post to get this appetizer from my computer screen to your kitchen. So you can get everything out of it for the next seven days!
I’ve seen my friend Molly share on instagram that she makes this for parties, and I’ve always been intrigued. I’m a sucker for marinating things like beans and having them in the fridge for meals during the week. So, obviously, the idea of marinating CHEESE is right up my alley.
Not that cheese has to be made better, but like… I’ll take cheese if it’s even better.
Of course I will.
Here’s what I did!
The original recipe calls for cream cheese, but I just can’t get behind… bites of cream cheese. You know? Don’t get me wrong, I live for cream cheese – on bagels, in frosting, in dips and all that jazz. But I don’t want a big bite of JUST cream cheese, even if it’s marinated.
So I went with goat cheese!
Some of you may be like… um, that’s basically the same thing. I personally think it’s better than cream cheese, so I’m rolling with it. It tastes like heaven, even more so when marinated!
The combination of sharp cheddar and creamy goat cheese here is ridiculously flavorful. Only made more flavorful by adding this delicious marinade to it. Yes, I’m telling you to soak your cheese in dressing for 24 hours before serving it. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
A jar of roasted red peppers is your new best friend. Combine that with some red wine (or apple cider) vinegar, olive oil, lots of herbs and spices and you are all set. That means you can make this waaaaay ahead of time to prep for a party. And you can easily take it with you too!
You can serve it completely alone (with toothpicks for serving) or serve it with crackers and bread and olives.
I absolutely LOVE this recipe because the leftovers (if there are any!) never go to waste. The kids enjoy them, you can throw them on top of salads or even eat them as a midday snack.
Not to mention that it’s absolutely delicious! Such a huge crowd pleaser because it’s embarrassingly easy to make. And who doesn’t love cheese?!
There you go.
Marinated Cheese for Christmas!
Marinated Christmas Cheese
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces goat cheese, cut into pieces
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 14 ounce jar roasted red peppers in oil, drained and peppers chopped
- Place the cheddar and goat cheese in a large container or plate that has a lip - something that allows you to cover it in the marinade. Alternate the pieces so the cheddar and goat aren’t all in on spot.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, green onions, garlic, basil, parsley and dill. Stir in the chopped red peppers.
- Pour the marinade over the cheese. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or even overnight. Serve with crackers or baguettes.
Let’s just call it merry cheesemas.