Your Holiday Greens Salad is Here! This Pear, Gorgonzola and Sweet and Spicy Pecan Salad is Everything.
This pear gorgonzola salad is about to take you through winter!
It’s crunchy, savory, slightly sweet and loaded with major flavor.
This year, I wanted to give you guys salad ideas that could be used for any meal. Or should I say – FESTIVE salads that could be the starter for any meal. I don’t know about you, but we always have a big salad at every family party or gathering. While that tends to consist of the same ingredients over and over, I wanted to come up with some recipes that would be super seasonal – a perfect greens salad for the season!
I started with my pomegranate greens salad last month. That’s more of a fall/Thanksgiving starter salad, but also works great for a dinner side salad on weeknights!
So today, we’re going with a pear greens salad, complete with crumbled gorgonzola and sweet and spicy toasted pecans. OH YUM.
These flavors are so delicious together. They are also common pairings this time of year, so I wanted to give you a way to throw the whole thing together yourself!
Crunchy pears cut into matchsticks provide the best crisp sweetness. Gorgonzola adds that creaminess we all love. The pecans add more texture along with a bit of sweet and spicy. And then a champagne vinaigrette finishes it off with a bit of acidy tang that is so necessary with greens.
And I wanted to make sure you had it now, to carry you alllll the way through December and the holiday season. Make it for a work lunch potluck. Make it for Christmas dinner! Or make it on New Years Eve, served in cute little cups along with a bunch of other bite sized snacks.
You can prep all the ingredients ahead of time and then chop the pears and toss everything together when it’s time to eat.
I’ve made a bacon brussels, pear and blue cheese salad that is a bit more filling than this and more like a meal. It’s more high maintenance since you have to cook the brussels. But the point is that I love these flavors and they can’t be beat!
Pear Gorgonzola Salad
Pear, Gorgonzola and Sweet & Spicy Pecan Salad
- ¾ cup whole pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cups spring greens
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 pears, any variety, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Line a plate with parchment paper. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add the sugar and cayenne. Once it starts to melt, add in the pecans and toss well to coat. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the pecans, placing them on the parchment. Separate the nuts so they aren’t in one big chunk. Let cool completely before using.
- Combine vinegar, honey, lemon juice, dijon, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk together. Stream in the olive oil while constantly whisking until the dressing comes together. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Place the greens in a large bowl and season well with the salt and pepper. Add in the matchstick pears, the pecans and the crumbled gorgonzola. Drizzle on the dressing and serve.
Going to eat a bowl of this every night.