Grilled Chicken Tacos with Key Lime Slaw.
These grilled chicken tacos majorly glow up with key lime slaw!
Okay so who is ready to eat ALL THE TACOS next Tuesday?
Raise your hand if a margarita is included.
We have tacos at least once a week. I’m always looking for a new taco recipe or idea, something that isn’t like the boring old beef tacos that I grew up on in the 90s. I mean, I still love those kind of tacos. But in my can’t-ever-be-bored millennial brain, I always want something new!
Something that we haven’t eaten ten million times.
Grilled chicken tacos may be the furthest thing from that, because grilled chicken sounds pretty darn boring. But! The marinade here is really delicious – it gets more flavorful as it sits, obviously. And the slaw.
Oh my gosh. THE SLAW!
It’s safe to say that I am obsessed with this slaw. We are a very pro-slaw family.
Eddie loves all kinds of slaw. He especially loves it on tacos, but he likes coleslaw too. The classic, next to a plate of pulled pork or something.
While I’ve never been a coleslaw fan, any kind of vinegary and briney slaw is my DREAM. I mean, I will eat it alone. All by itself!
The crunch is fantastic. The flavor is so good. It adds texture to any sandwich or taco and really takes things over the top.
This slaw is extra special because we’re making it key lime flavored. Lime zest, lime juice, a pinch of sugar and salt. As it sits, he develops this incredible tangy, ever-so-slightly sweet lime flavor.
It’s absolutely PERFECT on the grilled chicken tacos because they aren’t complicated. The whole flavor profile works together – neither takes away from the other.
The rest of the taco depends on whatever you have/want on top.
I went with avocado – of course. I like the plain sliced avocado on this instead of guacamole. Then a little sour cream drizzle. You could do mayo or a crema of your choice (I have about a million crema ideas in my taco section) – or even something like an avocado drizzle instead!
Then thinly sliced radish for more crunch and that little BITE.
Then crumbled cotija cheese!
Oh my gosh. Absolutely.
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Key Lime Slaw
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 key lime, zest freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 12 corn or flour tortillas
- for topping: sour cream, thinly sliced radish, cotija cheese, avocado
- 3 cups shredded green, napa or savoy cabbage
- 2 key limes, zest freshly grated and juiced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar, (or honey!)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Marinate the chicken first! At least 30 minutes ahead of time (or even the night before), combine the chicken with the olive oil, lime zest, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Place in in a dish or resealable bag and stick it in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to grill, remove it from the fridge about 30 minutes before. Preheat your grill to the highest heat for 10 minutes.
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grates. Grill about 5 minutes per side, until golden and charred and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, make the slaw. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, lime zest, shallot, garlic and cilantro. Add the lime juice and olive oil. Sprinkle on the sugar, salt and pepper. Toss well, mixing over and over to make sure everything is combined. Let the slaw sit while you finish the tacos.
Once the chicken rests, chop it up. Fill the tortillas with the chicken and if you wish, some avocado. Drizzle with sour cream. Top with the key lime slaw, a few radish slices and cotija cheese. If you want, sprinkle with a bit of tajin or smoked paprika. Enjoy!
But why are tacos so amazing?