Sheet Pan Pesto Salmon with Lemon Thyme Potatoes.
Sheet pan pesto salmon is the easiest dinner ever!
This meal is so satisfying. It comes together pretty quickly and it’s light but filling all at the same time.
We eat super seasonally in our house. I find that this is the perfect meal for Monday or Tuesday night, especially if I’ve made pesto over the weekend. It’s a great way to use up leftovers.
You can also totally use prepared pesto from the grocery store – whatever works for you!
My herbs are incredible this year! Well, aside from a few basil plants that got demolished by japanese beetles. I’ve been making a batch of pesto each week to use on all the things. I haven’t shut up about this, so you probably already know.
My secret for sheet pan meals is to add things in stages. I always start with the vegetables or potatoes, especially if I’m using seafood. I tend to prefer the veggies or potatoes extra roasted and almost caramely.
In this recipe, I toss the potatoes with lemon zest and thyme then roast them on the sheet first. I like to roast them until they are almost done – all golden and crisp on one side. Then I remove the pan from the oven and push the potatoes to the side to make room for the salmon.
Then we coat the salmon in a layer of pesto and throw it on the sheet pan! Roast it for a little longer and boom – it’s finished.
I mean, seriously. How easy is that?!
By doing it this way, the potatoes are crisp on the outside and fluffy in the center. The salmon stays buttery and super flakey – the perfect texture. And it’s loaded with flavor from the pesto too.
Who else steals the most golden potatoes first? YES PLEASE.
Sheet Pan Pesto Salmon with Lemon Thyme Potatoes
Sheet Pan Pesto Salmon with Lemon Potatoes
- 1 pound fingerling or baby yukon gold potatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound salmon
- ¼ cup pesto
- chopped herbs like basil or parsley, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl. Toss them with the olive oil, lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper until each potato is coated. Spread them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until they begin to get golden and caramely (larger potatoes may take a bit longer - 5 or 10 minutes more). Remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to push the tomatoes to the edges.
- Place the salmon (if it has skin, place it skin-side down) on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the top with the pesto. Place the sheet back in the oven and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the salmon is opaque and flakes with a fork.
My kind of happy meal!