Flaming Hot Cheetos Hot Dogs. Um, Hello!
These flaming hot cheetos dogs are a fun, indulgent spin on a grilled hot dog! Cotija cheese and crushed flaming hot cheetos take these to the next level – especially if you’re looking for a crazy treat over memorial day weekend or for summer cookout.
Just in time for the unofficial start of summer, I present to you: the most trashed up, delicious hot dog of life.
I’ve wanted to make a flaming hot cheetos hot dog for a year now. I just didn’t know what route to go. When I google it, what comes up are versions of flaming hot cheetos corn dogs. Which frankly sound incredible at nearly nine months pregnant but also sound like way too much work. Especially as we head into no-cook season with high temperatures and cooling foods.
I’m no stranger to a trashed up hot dog – remember the hot dog bar I shared a few years ago?! There are some wild and wacky flavors in there that we experimented with. And ultimately found the best ones we loved!
Except we didn’t do a flaming hot cheetos dog. And last year, I figured that 2020 was such a trainwreck that WHY NOT make flaming hot cheetos street corn (I first had it on a book tour for The Pretty Dish) and go with it.
So I did. And even though I’m not a huge flaming hot cheetos person, I suddenly became a huge flaming hot cheetos grilled corn person.
Seriously, it is SO good. While I would not be someone to snack on flaming hot cheetos alone, something happens when they are crumbled up and added to your favorite food. I mean, something other than turning your entire mouth bright red and doing who knows what to your insides.
It’s worth it for a fun little indulgent treat.
These hot dogs went through a few rounds of testing because I couldn’t figure out how to nail the flaming hot cheetos in the perfect way. After trying to reinvent the wheel over and over, I realized that basing them off the grilled corn may actually be perfect.
And it turns out it is.
So here’s what you get: a grilled hot dog with a drizzle of mayo. It’s creamy and even a little cooling. I add a sprinkle of cotija cheese, which just adds such a nice savory, cheesy bite. THEN come the crumbled flaming hot cheetos, and they stick right on top!
Finally, a few fresh herbs. I like chives and/or cilantro.
While this junk food masterpiece isn’t for everyone, I can’t get over how much we all loved it. I mean, it is so good with crunchy, creamy flavor and the spice. We LOVED it.
Also! If you like the idea but know not everyone would go for these (for example, my parents would NEVER), use the toppings on a hot dog bar! Add a few crushed flaming hot cheetos, some cotija cheese and mayo or even guacamole. Just something nice and creamy and savory for everything to adhere. Then people can build their own!
TOTALLY WORTH IT.
Flaming Hot Cheetos Hot Dogs
Flaming Hot Cheetos Hot Dogs
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 brioche hot dog buns, preferably grilled
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese
- ⅓ cup crushed flaming hot cheetos
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives or cilantro, or both
- Preheat your grill to the highest heat setting. When ready to grill, turn the heat down to medium-high so the temperature is around 450 degrees F.
- Place your hot dogs (and buns if you wish!) on the grill. Grill, rotating the hot dogs often, until grill marks appear and they are somewhat slightly charred, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the hot dog and immediately place it in the bun. Drizzle the top with the mayo (as much or as little as you wish), then sprinkle with cotija cheese. Sprinkle with the crushed flaming hot cheetos. Sprinkle with the chives and/or cilantro.
- Serve immediately!
Not sorry one bit.