Grilled Salmon Club Sandwich with Charred Scallion Mayo.
This grilled salmon club sandwich is perfect for summer! Topped with juicy tomatoes, crunchy bacon, lettuce and the most delicious charred scallion mayo – it is a hit all around.
I have such a crave-worthy meal for you today!
I am always looking for new and exciting ways to enjoy salmon and this sandwich hits the spot. It’s crunchy, flavorful, super satisfying and everyone in our house really loves it. The mayo is fabulous, the salmon is buttery and flakey, the summer tomatoes are ripe and juicy and the bacon is so crunchy and savory.
Basically the best sandwich of life.
If you’re looking for a way to switch up your salmon game, I cannot recommend this enough.
And – If you’ve been here for a while, you may remember when I made salmon BLT sliders years ago. Like a decade ago! I can’t believe it’s been 10 years. That is a combo that I love to throw together, especially if we have leftover salmon from dinner one night. Instead of reheating it and eating it the same way – we do a lunchtime slider and change it up.
For this salmon sandwich, I love to do my blackened seasoning. I’m sure you’ve noticed that I use this on chicken and salmon constantly. It is incredible and so easy to make – but makes a huge difference. We all love it here, and sometimes I’ll leave out the crushed red pepper just to make sure the kids don’t get any spicy bits.
I also love to grill this salmon – and I like to grill the bread too. There are few things in this season better than grilled sourdough. It is a Sunday staple for us – whether I do it for dinner or even breakfast toast. So while the salmon is on the grill, I also throw the bread on. Super simple!
If the salmon has skin, I grill it skin-side down with the lid closed. I do not flip it. If the salmon does not have skin, I use a grill pan and spray it with a nonstick spray. I usually don’t flip it here either, unless I’m working with thinly sliced salmon filets and it’s easy to do. This method has been foolproof for me for years.
The salmon ends up with that charred and smoky flavor, but is still very buttery and soft.
I know that a club sandwich technically has layered bread, but since the salmon is thicker, I find that no extra bread is needed. I stick with the classics of tomato, lettuce and bacon – along with a fancy mayo to keep things exciting.
Oh my word.
This mayo might just be the best part. I love charred scallion anything, but whipping it into this mayonnaise – WOW. It’s so simple but packs such a flavor punch.
While the salmon and bread are on the grill, I throw the scallions on too. They only take a minute! Once they cool, I slice them and then stir into mayonnaise. You can also do this with softened cream cheese too for bagels. It is SUPER good.
The whole sandwich is so crunchy and wonderful. I am not a huge sandwich person, but this makes me a sandwich person. I love how tender and buttery the salmon is inside the sandwich. It is perfect against the crisp bacon.
Crisp and refreshing and savory and everything you want a sandwich to be!
Salmon Club Sandwich
Grilled Salmon BLT with Charred Scallion Mayo
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- 2 pounds salmon filet
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 6 scallions, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 head of romaine or green leaf lettuce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Note: you can cook the bacon however you’d like! You can do it in a skillet or in the oven. I like to do this first (or even the day before, store in the fridge) so the bacon is ready to go.
- Preheat your grill to 400 to 450 degrees F.
- Pat the salmon dry with a towel. Stir together the paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle all over the salmon.
- Place the salmon on the grill. Close the lid and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until it’s opaque and pink. Remove the salmon and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- While the salmon is on the grill, you can also throw the bread on and the scallions. I grill the bread until grill marks appear - about 1 to 2 minutes per side, if that! I grill the scallions for about 5 minutes, turning them once or twice.
- To make the scallion mayo, slice the scallions once they are off the grill and stir them into the mayo. You can make this a bit ahead of time too!
- Then it’s time to assemble! If you have a large salmon filet, slice it into equal-ish pieces that fit your bread slices. Spread 1 tablespoon of scallion mayo on each bread slice. Top one slice with lettuce, the salmon, tomato, bacon and another slice of the bread. Slice and serve! Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Summer in a sandwich!
7 Comments on “Grilled Salmon Club Sandwich with Charred Scallion Mayo.”
Looks so good! To make this even easier and keep my house cooler I’m going to grill my bacon too :)
this looks sooooo incredibly good. wish I was eating one right now. thanks for sharing!
The easiest and least messy way to cook bacon is in the microwave. Place 2 layers of paper towels on a microwavable dish. Place on the bacon slices. Top with a single of layer of paper towels. Depending on your microwave and the thickness of the bacon, cook them for about 2 minutes per slice.
I’m sorry, I missed the directions to make the charred scallion mayonnaise. Looking forward to making this sandwich. Thank you!
Onion powder on the Salmon?
Hi Jesse, So I made this but no scallions, instead I had cooked bacon, I crumbled it and put it in the mayo with garlic and lemon…whoa!
My husband loved it…he ate 2 sandwiches!
The best method to cook bacon according to ATK is to place the bacon on a sheet pan along with a ¼” of water and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes