Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chip Crust.
This classic zucchini bread is lightly spiced, tender and incredibly flavorful. The chocolate chip crust on top makes it extra special with a hint of sweetness. Love it for breakfast or a quick snack!
This is my all-time favorite zucchini bread and you need to know about it.
We are already seeing an abundance of zucchini around here, which means it’s time for zucchini bread! I wanted to share this recipe with you early enough in the summer so you could have it in your arsenal. Something to make when you grab a ton of huge zucchini from your garden, or get a few from your neighbor and aren’t sure what all to make.
Add this to the list!
This zucchini bread is so perfectly tender and moist, very lightly spiced and covered with mini chocolate chips that make up a sweet chocolate crust. We can’t get enough.
If you’ve ever made my favorite banana bread, this recipe will seem very similar. Because it IS quite similar, using sour cream (or greek yogurt) and sprinkling the top of the batter with mini chocolate chips. That banana bread is foolproof and close to perfect, which is what I was aiming with here.
Plus, we’re swapping out banana for a vegetable sooo… can I get some veggie points here?
The topping made of chocolate chips is my favorite way to do quick breads. There’s not a ton of chocolate IN the bread, so it’s not overly sweet. Instead, you have a chocolate chip-like crust that gives you a bite when you want the chocolate, or the plain bread when you don’t. It’s perfect and I love it. Also the mini chocolate chips get a little crunchy. But when you bite into them, they are soft.
Other than the chocolate on top, my bread doesn’t have any add-ins. But let me tell you that it’s a great base for nuts or even more chocolate. See, I am not a nuts-in-my-desserts person and just can’t get behind it. If you want to add chopped walnuts or pecans, go for it. You could also sprinkle chocolate chips into the batter which works for some more chocolatey flavor and sweetness.
I personally really love that this is just a “plain old” zucchini bread. It’s actually a fabulous snack and let’s be real: an excellent excuse to eat dessert for breakfast. Since it’s not overly sweet, you can get away with it for sure.
As a note, if you’re looking for a not-so-simple zucchini bread, here’s a blast from the past for you. My coconut zucchini bread is also absolutely wonderful. I based it on a zucchini bread we had at brunch one day in 2014. And I can still taste that bread, remember that exact moment – it’s crystal clear.
I came home and recreated that bread the next day. I love that recipe, but it does require some ingredients that not everyone has on hand and it also is made with lots of coconut. So I wanted to make a version that was more traditional and classic so here we go!
This is amazing served warm with salted butter and really, you can’t go wrong.
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh grated zucchini
- ½ cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the sour cream until combined. Stir in the zucchini until combined.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips in a single layer over the batter.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before inverting and slicing.