Our Favorite Banana Bread.
This is our favorite banana bread! Sour cream banana bread is made with brown sugar, two bananas, butter and sour cream. I love to top it with chocolate chips for an extra treat!
Oh my gosh, do we LOVE this banana bread.
This is by far our family’s favorite banana bread recipe. We make it constantly – I’d say it’s been in the rotation for nearly two years now. I actually photographed it last year to share and never got around to it. Instead I ended up sharing our favorite banana muffins. And pumpkin muffins!
When it’s not the holiday season, we love to make a batch of muffins or a banana bread on sundays for the upcoming week. The kids love it for a snack, Max loves to have a little piece in his lunch and it makes me so happy that my kids love to bake.
I also always wanted to be the mom who have a delicious snack on the counter a few days a week, so here we are.
Enter our favorite banana bread!
Now yes, I do have a bunch of other banana bread recipes. None as classic as this though. We do love this banana bread with espresso glaze. And this whole wheat coconut banana bread. And this almond butter roasted banana bread! All of them are super delicious.
But this one is more of a simple, traditional banana bread version like my mom still makes. It’s easy and straightforward. Plus, a little chocolate on top makes everything better.
Here’s a few reasons why this banana bread is our favorite.
- It only requires two bananas! Maybe three. Or two and a half. You only need one cup of mashed bananas, so it’s not super banana heavy. It also means you don’t need a whole bunch of bananas in order for this to work!
- The sour cream makes the bread super tender and moist. You can also use plain greek yogurt! I’ve made it probably hundreds of times using both sour cream and greek yogurt. It’s interchangeable!
- The sprinkle of chocolate chips on top brings the perfect amount of chocolatey sweetness. I like it this way better than sprinkling chocolate chips in the batter. When they are on top like this, it’s almost like you get a chocolate crust on top of the bread. Just make sure they are in a single layer, otherwise they will mostly sink into the center!
- This is a classic banana bread that isn’t spiced at all. No nuts either. I’m strictly team no nuts in (most) desserts.
Is this a dessert though? Let’s be real – banana bread is just an excuse to eat cake and dessert for breakfast. And I’m not mad about it.
Of course – feel free to make this your own in a way that works for you. Add some nuts, leave the chocolate chips off or stir them right into the batter.
It’s the perfect treat to make this weekend!
Sour Cream Banana Bread
Our Favorite Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Whisk in the mashed bananas.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the sour cream until combined.
- Pour in the loaf pan. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips in a single layer over the batter. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before inverting and slicing.
That chocolate crust gets me.