Maple Marshmallow Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes.
These maple marshmallow twice baked sweet potatoes are a lovely Thanksgiving side dish! Whipped sweet potatoes are filled into crispy potato shells, then topped with melty marshmallows and cinnamon. So good!
Magical marshmallow sweet potatoes coming right up!
I am giving you one more potato recipe for your Thanksgiving table because who can pass up potatoes?! Not me.
Especially when they are TWICE baked. Especially when they are sweet potatoes! And when they involve maple syrup and melty marshmallows.
Fun fact: potatoes were my favorite food as a kid. Every version, but I don’t mean fries. I mean mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes – you name it, I loved it.
Growing up, twice baked potatoes were at the top of my favorite dishes. My grandma would make them every Christmas Eve and I thought they were MAGICAL. It was the only day we’d ever really have them, and they tasted fantastic. The filling was so whipped and creamy and cheesy. I couldn’t get enough!
I’ve made a traditional version before – my greek yogurt twice baked potatoes are delicious. I’ve even made a sweet potato version before using pumpkin. They are more of a savory twice baked sweet potatoes.
But I knew I wanted to do a sweet one! With flavors that reminded me of my lightened sweet potato casserole… oh yes.
And ones that also remind me of my s’mores sweet potatoes in The Pretty Dish.
That sweet potato casserole is an oldie but goodie. SO super popular. But in case you don’t feel like making that and want to make some single serving potatoes… do this. Make twice baked sweets and top them with all the goodness.
To make these, I bake the sweet potatoes then slice them and remove the potato. The potato gets whipped with butter and salt and maple syrup until creamy and fluffy. Then I stuff them back into the skins and top with marshmallows and cinnamon.
Super easy. Nothing groundbreaking. But something so, so delicious. And crowd pleasing!
I know there are two camps of sweet potato lovers during the holiday season: the sweet and the savory. And I am in both! I love to enjoy both for different meals or depending on what else we’re eating. If I want savory sweet potatoes on the actual holiday, I may make something like these twice baked ones for dinner one night with chicken or steak.
It’s simple as that!
Now just grab a spoon and dig in.
Maple Marshmallow Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Maple Marshmallow Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- cinnamon and nutmeg, for sprinkling
- flaky salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place them on a baking sheet and bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly, then slice them down the center lengthwise. Gently scoop out the sweet potato flesh, leaving the skin intact so you can stuff it.
- I like to spray the skin with olive oil, sprinkle it with salt and pop them back into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes so they really crisp up. It makes the skin so delicious!
- Place the sweet potato in the bowl of an electric mixer. (Note: you can mash it with a fork, but I find that whipping it in a mixer makes it super silky and fluffy!) Add the salt, butter and maple syrup. Mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Scoop the mixture back into the sweet potato skins. Top with the marshmallows. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are warmed through and the marshmallows are melty. Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle with flaked salt. Serve!
- Note: you can bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time and store in the fridge until you're ready to use!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
That fluffy spoon.
2 Comments on “Maple Marshmallow Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes.”
GENIUS!!! i’ll be making these this year – adding my normal pecan crumble on top of the potato, thennnnnn adding the marshies. yum!!!
These delicious Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows are a fun alternative to a classic Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole! Sweet potatoes are baked. https://www.mythdhr.net/
Then mashed with orange juice and brown sugar, refilled, and topped with vegan marshmallows and brown sugar pecans. Every bite is crispy, fluffy, caramelized and delicious!