Cauliflower Potato Soup with Chipotle Bacon.
This cauliflower potato soup is everything! It’s so cozy, comforting and loaded with flavor. Top it with crunchy chipotle bacon and fresh chives for the ultimate bowl.
Another winter day, another soup!
I can’t be stopped. Soup forever please!
This soup is a perfect blend of cauliflower and gold potatoes, whipped until silky smooth and rich, then served with crunchy spicy bacon on top and a shower of fresh chives.
It’s dreamy and creamy and one of those nourishing soups that warms your soul.
Okay, so this might be one of my favorite soups EVER. The mix of cauliflower and potatoes together – so hearty, so smooth and creamy, it’s just a delight.
Growing up, I LOVED potato soup. Any variety – but a loaded baked potato soup was a sure favorite. My mom introduced me to it at some point, most likely because she loves bacon more than just about anything.
And I fell.in.love with that soup.
I have a classic loaded potato soup recipe here on the blog. I even have a potato cheddar and leek soup. And I have a creamy cauliflower soup, a cauliflower chowder and a buffalo cauliflower soup.
Needless to say, I love both soups.
But this! This is cauliflower and potato soup in ONE. A mix. It’s wonderful. So rich, so silky, so light all at the same time. Is that possible? Probably not, but it is here.
This soup is decadent but not heavy. It’s satisfying but doesn’t feel like you’ve eaten a bowl of cream. And it’s topped with the crunchiest chipotle bacon and is filled with so much flavor that you’ll crave a second bowl. It’s so delicious!
This soup comes together FAST.
It starts with the basics: onion and garlic, of course.
Add the potatoes and cauliflower, then add the stock. Boil until tender!
Blend it, because that’s how it gets creamy. You can use an immersion blender but it never gets creamy enough for me. So I use a regular blender – carefully.
Once it’s back in the pot, add the touch of cream. Taste and add more salt and pepper.
Serve it, finishing it off with the best bacon ever.
The chipotle bacon might be my favorite part. I’ve used this chipotle bacon on pizza before and even on smashed potatoes. I knew it had the perfect zip for this soup, adding a touch of heat with the crispy crunch and of course, lots of savory flavor.
Exactly what you want to eat on a cold wintery night!
Cauliflower Potato Soup
Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 garlic clothes, minced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (1 small to medium whole cauliflower)
- 4 medium gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ cup cream
- fresh chives, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add in the onion and garlic with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened - about 5 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Pour in the stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, cover and cook until the cauliflower and potatoes are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, make the bacon. Heat the bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat. Sprinkle on the chipotle chili powder. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Carefully transfer the cauliflower soup mixture to a blender. You can also use an immersion blender, but I like to use a regular high powered blender because it gets so silky smooth. Cover the blender with a towel and carefully blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat over low heat. Stir in the cream. Taste the soup and season with more salt and pepper - you most likely will need ½ to 1 teaspoon more of salt, maybe more depending on the flavor of your stock. Heat the soup until warm.
- Serve in bowls topped with the chipotle bacon and fresh chives. YUM.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
12 Comments on “Cauliflower Potato Soup with Chipotle Bacon.”
Jessica, my dad loved inventing things to use up leftovers. He called it, “trip around the kitchen” lol. One time he actually came up with “mashed potato cauliflower soup”, and we thought it was the best! It is one of his inventions I have always remembered fondly. Definitely trying it again because of your recipe. Thanks for the memories ♥️
oh i love that so much!!! thank you for sharing! xo
How do you feel 1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk would do as a sub to the cream to keep it dairy free?
i think it would be great!
I will give it a try and report back :)
U shoulda used a potato ricer my dude. A blender or stick blender is gonna mess with the potato starch molecule gloopiness. Makes it sticky in your throat. Also why you don’t blend mashed potatoes.
You’re an asshole
Great recipe! I couldn’t fine chipolte chili pepper, so I used regular chili pepper, paprika for the smoke and a little brown sugar to tame it. Also used coconut milk. The family loved it!
Please correct CLOVES of garlic!!
Try this soup, it’s delicious! Perfect dinner on a cold, rainy night.Thanks for sharing Jessica.
Made this last night for dinner. So freakin’ good. It’s the perfect soup for a cold winter day.
Outstanding recipe! So easy and so delicious! Restaurant quality! I didn’t have bacon, so I fried some shallots for a topping. My husband, who doesn’t love soup, raved about it! Thank you so much!