Chipotle Bacon Blue Cheese Crispy Smashed Potatoes.
These crispy bacon smashed potatoes are topped with melty blue cheese and chipotle bacon. Green onions finish things off for the most amazing texture and flavor!
I’m always searching for incredible side dishes that we adore and these really fit the bill. They have SO much flavor and are such a fun spin on the original.
Okay so it is noooo secret how much I love smashed potatoes. Like, love love love!
First, I have a super classic garlic butter chive version in Everyday Dinners. They go with EVERYTHING! I also have a crispy smashed sweet potato version in the book too.
I’ve shared plain old crispy smashed potatoes here. And buttered rosemary smashed potatoes with burrata. I’ve made chipotle cheddar smashed potatoes. I’ve even done a crispy smashed potato salad!
To say we’re into smashed potatoes would be an understatement.
I also absolutely love the chipotle bacon + blue cheese combo. I also use this combination for a savory dutch baby in Everyday Dinners.
The mix of the crunchy bacon with a touch of heat combined with the creamy, tangy blue cheese is out of this world. Add the crispy smashed potato texture to that are you have a side dish that everyone flips over. It’s unreal.
I love to prep my smashed potatoes ahead of time. I usually par-boil the potatoes then stick then in a resealable bag in the fridge until I use them. This is SO easy and such great meal prep, because they are a wonderful side dish that usually takes longer to make. They aren’t difficult to make, they just take a bit of time since you have to boil AND roast them.
While the potatoes roast, I do my chipotle bacon. I cook the bacon with chipotle chili powder in a skillet until it’s super crispy and crunchy.
When the potatoes are done, I top them with a bunch of crumbled blue cheese then a few pieces of the bacon. YES. I stick the whole pan back in the oven just until the cheese melts. Then serve.
I mean, I could eat an entire plate of these for dinner. I LOVE THEM.
If you’re looking for a main dish to pair with these, let me tell you that they are incredible with my beef tenderloin for something super fancy. If you don’t want to do the entire filet, I also make these seared filet mignon with blue cheese butter, so that kind of pulls everything together.
You can also pair them with my prosciutto wrapped turkey breast or this parmesan chicken and arugula.
Honestly my favorite way to eat these (aside from straight off the pan like a psycho) is just paired with a big salad. I love for these to shine because of their incredible savory flavor and crunchiness.
You must try!
Chipotle Bacon Smashed Potatoes with Blue Cheese
Chipotle Bacon Blue Cheese Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled or a block, crumbled yourself
- 2 green onions or chives, thinly sliced
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Simmer the potatoes until they are just barely fork tender. Strain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. You can do this ahead of time and store the potatoes in the fridge this way.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the potatoes on the sheet. Use your hand or the bottom of a glass to smash them once, trying to keep them in one piece.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the bacon. Place the bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat. Sprinkle all over with the chipotle chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to drain excess fat.
- When the potatoes are done, top them with a crumble or chunk of blue cheese (add however much will fit on the potato!). Stick the pan back in the oven for a minute or two until the cheese melts. Remove and top with the crispy bacon and green onions. Serve!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
5 Comments on “Chipotle Bacon Blue Cheese Crispy Smashed Potatoes.”
Jessica, these look delicious! I plan on making them this week. (That’s 4 slices of BACON diced, correct?)
I think you meant to say 4 slices of bacon when you said “4 slices diced, chopped”. Recipe looks amazing and I can’t wait to make it!
yes! 4 slices bacon!
This looks amazing! Do you think they would work with larger Yukon gold potatoes, but quartered?