Crispy Smashed Chickpea Tortilla Wrap.
This smashed chickpea tortilla wrap is loaded with delicious ingredients and toasted until crispy and golden. Roasted red peppers, feta, avocado and chickpeas come together with fresh spinach for this filling and satisfying lunch!
I’m here with lunch!!
As usual, I’m a million years late on the trend, but I have the most delicious crispy smashed chickpea tortilla wrap for you today. It’s loaded with veggies and so, so filling – perfect for lunch or a quick and easy dinner.
And it’s crunchy. Super textured. And so seriously flavorful.
I love it!
This tortilla wrap is filled with so many delicious ingredients, folded and toasted until crispy in the pan. It’s warm and crisp and ridiculously satisfying, no matter what you stuff in it. This has been all over tiktok and instagram for a year or two now. And I’ve made a few versions at home for us, whether it be for lunch or dinner. Nothing seemed exciting or new enough to share with you here.
Until now! I’ve found the best veg-focused wrap fillings that I not only love, but come together quickly, are unique and delicious and will make for an exciting new lunch for you to try.
Here’s the quick rundown for what’s inside:
Chickpeas, smashed perfectly.
Lemon and garlic, for said chickpeas.
Roasted red peppers.
Crumbled feta cheese.
A touch of red wine vinegar.
Lots of fresh spinach.
I make two quick mixtures for this wrap.
First up, roasted red peppers and feta. I like to chop up roasted red peppers then toss them with a bit of the olive oil from the jar, some crumbled feta and crushed red pepper. This is the perfect flavor bomb. Simple, but really packs a punch. It’s sweet, savory, tangy and creamy. I could eat this on just about any sandwich or salad.
Next, avocado smashed chickpeas. I adore this too. You can make this alone for a quick toast topper or croissant. I mash the avocado and canned chickpeas with some garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. You can mash it as much as you’d like or leave it chunky. I prefer it somewhere in between. I love the texture of smashed chickpeas and the avocado helps hold it all together.
For this tortilla wrap, I only fill three of the four quarters. In testing the recipe I found that this was best, because it didn’t make it overstuffed, especially when toasting in a skillet. Since the smashed chickpeas and the roasted red peppers have a chunkier texture, the tortilla is PACKED. I do fresh spinach on another quarter and if you really want, you can add in pickled onions or another spread or dressing in the fourth.
I fold this up, toast it in a hot skillet with a little bit of olive oil. The entire thing is warmed and crispy. It’s such a delicious combo.
I serve this with some quick pickled onions – you can also do a balsamic glaze (so good!) or even a ranch drizzle. A vinaigrette, sauce or more hummus would work too.
And now we can look forward to lunch!
Smashed Chickpea Tortilla Wrap
Smashed Chickpea Tortilla Wrap
- ½ cup diced roasted red peppers, from a jar in olive oil
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ tablespoon olive oil, from the jar of roasted reds
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- ½ avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced and zest freshly grated
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach or greens
- 2 large burrito-size tortillas
- In a bowl, combine the roasted red peppers, feta cheese, oil from the jar, vinegar and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, mash together the avocado and chickpeas. Add in the lemon juice, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place the tortilla on a cutting board. Cut one slit from the center down to the end of the tortilla. You now technically have four quadrants for the filling of your choice. This filling makes enough for 2 wraps, so divide it evenly between the 2 tortillas.
- Spoon the roasted red peppers and feta on one quadrant. Place 1 cup of the spinach on another quadrant. And finish off with the smashed avocados and chickpeas on a third. Fold the bottom left side up, then over to the right, then down to create a triangle wrap.
- Heat a drop of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the wrap and cook until crispy and golden on both sides. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Crispy cheese on the outside is all mine.
One Comment on “Crispy Smashed Chickpea Tortilla Wrap.”
I saw this recipe and totally had to try it because I like everything in it and it did not disappoint! It was awesome, thanks!! It made a great lunch!!