Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad with Gorgonzola Vinaigrette.
This grilled chicken pasta salad is loaded with cherry tomatoes, crispy pancetta, green onions and a delicious gorgonzola vinaigrette! It’s super satisfying, easy and delicious served warm or cold.
We’re kicking off the summer season with a perfect pasta salad!
This grilled chicken pasta salad is filled with so many delicious things – cherry tomatoes, crunchy pancetta, lots of fresh herbs and the best gorgonzola vinaigrette that makes everything delicious.
It’s no secret that we are huuuuuge fans of grilled chicken pasta salads over here. My lemon artichoke chicken pasta salad is a huge favorite – of yours and ours!
I love them for multiple reasons. First, they are delicious served warm or cold. Second, they can pass for a full meal, like a pasta dish instead of a pasta salad. You know? Third, the leftovers are always fantastic and it makes for an excellent lunch the next day! And finally, they are so customizable – you really can add almost anything you wish. It can even be a clean-out-the-fridge dish!
We use this mostly as a party side dish – a good old chilled pasta salad. And boy is it incredible. The chicken is grilled to perfect with that charred, smoky flavor. The tomatoes are juicy and sweet, the bacon is crunchy and salty, the green onions give you that little zing that you need and the gorgonzola vinaigrette?
OH MY GOSH. It’s wonderful.
I first shared my blue cheese vinaigrette recipe in Everyday Dinners. It’s one of my favorite vinaigrettes of all time. I also shared it here with our favorite grilled steak salad. I love how the dressing becomes slightly creamy from the cheese, but also remains tangy and briney. Plus, it’s like eating marinated cheese which is one of the best things ever!
The dressing works double duty to not only coat the pasta salad, but to also add cheese. Of course you can always add more cheese if you wish, but I find that this dressing mixed in gives the perfect amount.
This is how it comes together!
I marinate the chicken in a simple mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic. This is such a simple marinade but one that is very flavorful. After the chicken marinates, I grill it and cut it up!
The rest of the ingredients are simple. Cooked pasta (any short-cut variety works), some chopped cherry tomatoes, sliced green onions and crunchy bacon or pancetta.
I toss everything together and drizzle it with the gorgonzola vinaigrette! The vinaigrette is made with white wine vinegar, honey, dijon, garlic and fresh herbs like dill and chives. And the crumbled gorgonzola of course.
Like most pasta salads, this gets better as it sits. So you can totally make it ahead of time which is also a big bonus.
The mixture of flavors and textures here is what makes this so incredible. A mix of grilled, smoky ingredients with fresh produce and herbs, all tossed with tender pasta and tangy dressing. You can’t ask for more in a pasta salad.
Oh and some grilled vegetables throw in also work. Asparagus! Peppers! Zucchini! Can’t go wrong.
Hello summer of salads! LOVE.
Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad with Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
- Marinate the chicken first. Place the chicken in a resealable bag or dish. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or even overnight.
- Right before grilling the chicken, cook the pasta according to the directions. You can also fry the bacon at this time! Cook until crispy then drain any excess grease on a paper towel.
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting. Remove the chicken, letting the excess marinade run off, then place it on the grill grates. Grill for 5 or 6 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F internally. When the chicken is done, let it rest for 10 minutes while you combine the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, tomatoes, bacon/pancetta and green onions. Chop the chicken and place it in the bowl too. Toss everything together. Make the dressing and pour it over the pasta salad. Toss well so everything is coated. If desired, add more gorgonzola. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Whisk together the vinegar, garlic, chives, dill, honey and dijon with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stream in the olive oil while whisking until emulsified. Stir in the blue cheese. This stays great in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.