Mr. How Sweet came home with some Easter flowers today.

I love this time of year.

I killed about a dozen oranges this afternoon making Mother Lovett’s famous orange cake.

Then I had to frost and store it on a pizza sheet because I have no other way to transport it tomorrow.

Must buy cake carrier. Must also stop raining so my pictures don’t appear to be taken in a dungeon.

I also attempted the brownie pops I told you about the other day. Just what I need. More sprinkles.

Let’s just say they were sort of a… DISASTER.

I don’t know why they were so difficult to dip, considering I dip cake balls and oreo balls all the time. Oh wait, yes I do. I’m the most impatient person in the WORLD. But besides that, I’m pretty sure it’s the low-quality chocolate I used – the melting disks by Wilton. Pretty, but a mess.

Eventually I got a handle on it.

Now we are off to see Water for Elephants since I won’t shut up about it. And maybe some egg dying too!

50 Responses to “Easter Treats.”

Rebecca — April 23, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Oh, please tell us how the movie was! I’m so anxious to see it, but worried it won’t be as good as the book!

Rebekah @ Making Miracles — April 23, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

That cake is gawwwgeous and those final brownie pops are absolutely adorable! :) Can’t wait to hear about the movie!

Ashlie — April 23, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

I love your site – recipes and commentary alike :) And I agree, sprinkles make everything better. Haven’t left a comment before, but decided to today! Enjoy your movie date. :)

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — April 23, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Cute cute cute.

It was in the 90’s here this week. I’ll trade ya! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 23, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

The cake looks beautiful! Enjoy the movie and have fun dying eggs!

Kristina @ spabettie — April 23, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

you’re going to love the movie! I hope you brought tissues – I needed them anyway! :D the brownie pops look great to me!

Amy — April 23, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

I LOVED WATER FOR ELEPHANTS! so cute. :)

The Teenage Taste — April 23, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Mmmmmm…those brownie pops look fabulous!

Luyi — April 23, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Your flowers are beautiful!! And your cake pops are so creative, love the sparkly colors.

Christina — April 23, 2011 @ 9:17 pm

Ahhh Water for Elephants!! I can’t wait to see it next week when my hubby finally stops studying! Cute pops, sprinkle love.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 23, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

They dont look a mess to me! Far from it!!

The cake, the flowers, the cake pops…all beautiful! Have fun at the movie!

And I had a zillion ppl tell me on my site they want to make your smores in a jar. You’re famous. On my blog. lol :)

Jen — April 23, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

I use the Wilton discs for my cake pops all the time… I learned (after a few disasters of my own) to add a little bit of vegetable oil and to be very patient when letting them drip. Bakerella’s tutorial on Amazon was what really helped me in the end. If only I wasn’t so cheap, I’d invest in higher quality dipping chocolate…

Laura — April 23, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

Mmm the coconut cake looks sooo tasty :(
    I have had some bad luck with wilton melting chocolates and oreo balls before, so I feel your pain!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — April 23, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Your grandmother’s handwriting is so beautiful!

And if you don’t want those brownie pops, I’ll take them out of your hands ;)

Erica — April 23, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

The cake looks just perfect! Hope the movie is good. Happy Easter Jessica!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 23, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

That cake looks amazing!! I love anything with coconut. And we’re egg coloring tonight, as well!! Can’t wait just so the smell will be gone from the refrigerator.

Debi — April 23, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I must have that cake! It looks amazing. So, how was the movie?

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 23, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Either way I’m sure those brownie pops tasted amazing!

Taryn — April 23, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

My cake for tomorrow is currently resting on a pizza sheet too, because I STILL don’t have a cake carrier! Somehow I never remember to get one until the next time I make a cake and then it’s too late. But your cake looks beautiful, and delicious!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 23, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

That orange cake looks amazing…I think that would be perfect for Easter breakfast ;)

Kristi — April 23, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I want to see Water For Elephants.. hopefully I’ll get to the movies before it’s out of the theatres.

sasha — April 23, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

water for elephants was FAB! there was a departure from the book, but i still enjoyed it!! i have trouble dipping ANYTHING in chocolate, so your pops look fine to me! i’d love any and all tips on how best to dip oreo balls or pops, so mine don’t look so homemade/ugly :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — April 23, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

The easter-y pastel colors are fabulous. You always have great colors on all of your treats.. making them a million times more satisfying to they eye (we already know how great they would taste!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — April 23, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

Be thankful you don’t have a dog. My dog would devour that cake without it being in a carrier or cake stand.
    She wouldn’t even think twice about it, I know this because she’s done it before. ;)

Kelly — April 24, 2011 @ 12:30 am

Sorry to hear about the dipping troubles. If you are getting a lot of rain i also wonder if humidity might be to blame.

Kasey — April 24, 2011 @ 12:31 am

That cake looks delicious! Is there a printable recipe for it?

Becky — April 24, 2011 @ 1:28 am

Wow, the cake looks incredible!

Ok, there seriously had to be something up with the humidity today because I made cake balls and they are still sort of soft. My dipping was awful, too. It was my first attempt, and I probably put way too much icing in mine, but let’s blame the humidity! ;)

Kelly — April 24, 2011 @ 5:03 am

I tried making brownie pops too, and I couldn’t get them to stay on the stick. I ended up making brownie eggs and put them in cupcake liners. Not as cute as on sticks, but it ended up being much easier. I too used the Wilton chocolate, but it didn’t give me too much trouble.

megan — April 24, 2011 @ 8:07 am

that cake looks like my dream come true…oranges, frosting, coconut…please tell me you’re going to share that recipe??? Pa-leasssssseeeee??? (My 4 kids have helped me perfect that beg :))…

Now, you say the Wilton chips are junky for pop dipping? I just printed a couple recipes of those to make for my kids party and was all set to get those discs since my daughter wants a Peacock theme party with EVERYTHING purple and turqoise…what would you use instead of those discs, that had better success??? AND, do you think it’s cause the brownies are heavier than cake or oreo balls?

Happy Easter to the Sweets!!

elle marie — April 24, 2011 @ 8:10 am

That cookbook is nostalgic. I hope you will have a terrific Easter today my friend! I’m back on the wagon tomorrow after a few days of birthday eating and easter desserts.

Theresa — April 24, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Jessica, I would really be grateful if you’d share your grandmother’s orange cake recipe. There’s just enough visible to make me think I could wing it on the rest, but then I see coconut isn’t even mentioned on the page, and the baking instructions can’t be complete! I hope you are willing to share the love…. hand-me-down recipes are the best. Thanks!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — April 24, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Looks like you had fun! :D I love decorating eggs! :D

Gen — April 24, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Ohh I want to see Water for Elephants! :D
    Hope you have a happy Easter! That cake looks delicious!

Erin — April 24, 2011 @ 10:30 am

That cake is so beautiful! I love it. I have no food carrying devices. It is always quite interesting when I attempt it.

Salah@myhealthiestlife — April 24, 2011 @ 11:24 am

I want to see Water for Elephants sooo bad!!! Those cake pops look amazing!

Jen — April 24, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Great book so sad when it ended. Hope you will post your thoughts on the movie. enjoy your day!

Rachel Wilkerson — April 24, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

“and now we are off to see Water for Elephants since I won’t shut up about it…” same thing in this household too…except I can’t shut up about the book! Trying so hard to finish so I can drag Mr. Rachel Wilkerson to see it too.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 24, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

Please tell me that you loved the movie (when you’re back of course). I’m slowly reading it because I want to see the movie!

Paige — April 24, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

Those brownie pops sound like such a good idea!!
    Hope you like the movie – I want to see it but I’m only 3/4 the way through the book.

Dalila G. — April 24, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Cake looks sooo yummy! Are you willing to share the recipe? PLEASE!?!
    Cake carriers are pretty handy, but sometimes I wind up using pizza trays, my oblong baking sheets or large cookie boxes.
    Hubby always points out that my shelf has a bunch of new carriers….why did I buy them if I’m not using them. *snort*

Brownie Pops look pretty and also tasty, no complaints from me!

A group of our friends went to see the movie, said it was pretty good, hope you like it too.
    I haven’t seen it yet, maybe this coming week.

Have an awesome Easter!

Kate — April 24, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

I love Mother Lovett’s recipe. There’s something about handwritten recipes that just makes me smile. :)

Alaina — April 24, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

I hope you had a wonderful Easter! The day was beautiful up here in MA. :-)

How was the movie??

Allison — April 25, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Cake looks amazing, well worth the orange carnage I’m sure. And even if your brownie pops didn’t turn out how you had hoped, they still look like they were perfect for Easter! Love those pretty pastel colors.

Ken Topham — April 25, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Beautiful cake Jessica! Funny you were thinking Orange and Coconut. I was thinking coconut and made an Orange Almond cake. I have to do this one now as Orange does such amazing things to cakes. Putting that with Coconut has to be awesome. You never fail me. Thanks for all the great posts.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — April 25, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

1. I hate trying to take pictures when it’s raining out, but it’s even more annoying when I try to take them at 2 a.m. when there’s no light at all. I don’t know why I do this.

2. The brownie pops are beautiful. I think when you say “disaster”, what you really mean is “masterpiece”.

3. You can’t be the most impatient person in the world, because I am.

Mary @ Stylefyles — April 26, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I’ve done cake balls a handful of times and the wilton disks are actually better for dipping than using regular chocolate. What I mean is, the regular chocolate TASTES better, but is far more painful to try to actually dip into. In my experience the chocolate doesn’t set fast enough, so you have to keep twirling and twirling the pop until it gets that rounded, sleek, “flawless” (you can check mine out, but don’t say I swore they were flawless, heheh) finish. Though, if you’re going to dip and put down to let the chocolate set, I guess regular chocolate would work. I’m by no means an expert, but I think getting a perfect finish with the pops has a lot to do with temperature.

I love your pretty Easter colors though! And I think any food with sprinkles = pretty food.

Kirsten — April 30, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Rice Krispie Treats also make for good “pops”. Dip almost anything in chocolate and I’m in Heaven!

1. Pingback: Juicy Orange Cake Recipe | How Sweet It Is