This is how you make gooey, chewy, massive rainbow cookies that make everyone in life love your guts.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Lookie here! You don’t even need a mixer. You just mix all the goods with a whisk. Don’t have a whisk? Spoons work too.

Add some super cute rainbow candies… aka mini m&m’s. You could add regular m&m’s. Really… whatever floats your boat.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

This is the weird part. Roll your dough into a ball then rip it apart evenly with Hulk Hogan strength.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Bake cookies like this. Laugh because they look funny. Cry because you are ridiculous.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Not even joking. Really bake your cookies like this. It’s the SECRET.

While your cookies are baking, admire the adorable slash colorful slash overflowing bowl of mini m&m’s that you opened two bags of m&m’s for just so you could show all of your invisible internet friends what an m&m bathtub looks like.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

After your cookies bake and cool and you inevitably burn the skin off the roof of your mouth because you’re really a child with no patience, flip it over and look at how pretty it’s cookie butt is. Colorful cookie butt.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Stack up some giant rainbow cookies and set them by your overflowing m&m bathtub bowl. Pour a mason jar full of milk so you can photograph your cookies for your invisible internet friends, even though you hate milk and don’t even like to dip cookies in it.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Talk to your cookies because they are so pretty and perfect.

This recipe was sent to me by a reader, Gabrielle (Hi Gabrielle!), and as soon as it hit my inbox I knew I had to make them. I can easily say this is the best cookie I have ever made and that is no exaggeration. Ask Gabrielle… because I professed my love for her immediately like a complete weirdo.

Up until now, I have been using my fat snickerdoodle recipe… which took me hours upon hours to perfect, as the base for newer cookie recipes like my blueberry cookies and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I can say with almost 100% certainty that this will be the only cookie recipe I use for the time being… because if you can’t tell, I’m infatuated. With a cookie. Haaaalp me.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Giant Rainbow Cookies

makes 18 large or 36 small cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in the m&m’s.

Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.

Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be
soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Note: to melt the butter I simply microwaved it, and to let it cool I allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.

ETA: a few readers have told me that this is the same recipe as Cooks Illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Finally, take one single bite of your cookie since you are the epitome of self control, then neatly pack them up to share with others. Do not eat any more cookies, ever, because you are always satisfied with one bite of dessert.

409 Responses to “Giant Rainbow Cookies.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 13, 2011 @ 7:06 am

These remind me of the delicious Mrs. Fields cookies that I would always get as a child–Now I’m just going to have to make them from scratch as an adult ;)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:11 am

My brother actually SAID that they tasted like the Mrs. Fields cookies. I am telling you – they are amazing!

• Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Great minds think alike! ;)
        Maybe I’ll be making these for lunch & dinner tonight… just sayin’…

Julie — July 13, 2011 @ 7:11 am

Those look delicious! Look at that soft, buttery brown color! Mmmmm!! I’m thinking tht I’ll have to make these soon.

Becki@beckiswholelife — July 13, 2011 @ 7:13 am

mmmmm….big fat cookies with M&M’s in them. My 5 year old is yelling at me… “Make Those”…as she is looking at your pics!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — July 13, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Are you trying to steal my husband? He could eat that whole batch of cookies in 5 seconds. And that would be him eating cookies at a leisurely pace.

Stephanie — July 13, 2011 @ 7:20 am

hahahaha cookie butt!

Holly — July 13, 2011 @ 7:22 am

I’ve never even thought to bake cookies like that- the double stack. Sounds like it really is the secret to these delicious looking cookies!! :) I would just have to figure out how to keep my husband away from the m&m’s :)

Kathryn — July 13, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Those look like the absolute perfect cookie not to mention the giant bowl of M&Ms…swoon!

Julie H. — July 13, 2011 @ 7:27 am

THANK YOU for the stacking tip!!!!! I’m pretty sure it just changed my life!!!! :)

Hayley @ Hayley Daily — July 13, 2011 @ 7:28 am

Those look so perfect. How can something so simple be so amazingly perfect??

I won’t lie, I had to snicker (ha, snicker) at the ‘makes 18 large or 36 small cookies.’ WHO MAKES SMALL COOKIES?? I would really like to meet that person at some point in my life.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Seriously.

• Kelly — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:15 am

I make small cookies so I can have more :D

Chrissy — July 13, 2011 @ 7:28 am

I should make these for my boyfriend. He loves M&Ms. I wonder if using pretzel M&Ms in cookies would be good? I made sweet and salty chocolate chip cookies for Christmas with potato chips and pretzels in them and everyone went nuts.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Definitely. I think putting ANYTHING inside these cookies would be amazing.

• Ashley — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:26 am

I make cookies with pretzel M&Ms! The cookies have to be made really big though because the pretzal M&Ms are pretty huge:)

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — July 13, 2011 @ 7:28 am

These look like fun! I make mine with oatmeal, peanut butter and m&m’s! But I bet my kids could take a break from oatmeal cookies and go for these sinful cookies instead!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 13, 2011 @ 7:32 am

these were the ONLY cookies i would get at the mall growing up…if they didn’t have color, i didn’t want them! totally making these immediately…well, like tonight :)

Katrina — July 13, 2011 @ 7:33 am

DOUBLE RAINBOW cookies?! Oh my god. (please tell me you’ve seen that video)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Hahahah I hadn’t seen it, but now I can say that I have!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 13, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Those. Look. Marvelous.
    Please give me one right now.

Erica — July 13, 2011 @ 7:36 am

What a pretty cookie! The whole tear it apart and bake it stacked trick- I have definitely never heard of that one. But the result is perfect!Hooray for cookies! I love your cookie recipes.

Blog is the New Black — July 13, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Love the idea of the double stack to make ‘em nice and flat!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 13, 2011 @ 7:37 am

I think I’ve made this recipe before, but as regular chocolate chip cookies! Delish!

Can I ask where you managed to find mini M&Ms? I haven’t been able to find them in my grocery stores for over a year (except for the ones in little tubes…not a bag)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I actually found them right in the candy aisle of my grocery store! I had no intention of using them and was just going to get the regular ones, but then I spied these. They were expensive though – nearly $5 for a bag!

Cassie (Bake Your Day) — July 13, 2011 @ 7:43 am

If nothing else, they are adorable but by your explanation, I’m sure they taste fabulous and I love that they are easy to mix by hand! I don’t like milk either and most people think I’m crazy!

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I’ve never liked it! That’s why I always use vanilla almond or vanilla coconut milk because the vanilla makes it so much better!

Aimee @ShugarySweets — July 13, 2011 @ 7:46 am

These look great, I’m going to have to try them!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — July 13, 2011 @ 7:50 am

m & m bathtub, haha! :)
    Seriously, I love how soft and chewy these look—yum!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 13, 2011 @ 7:51 am

YUM!!!!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 13, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Oh goodness why did you share these with me Jessica…these are sooo reminiscent of my childhood. How could I not bake these!!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — July 13, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Wooo! Party in the M&M bathtub!!!!!

And I must say, that is one perfect cookie butt :) Thanks for the recipe Gabrielle and Jessica, though I’ve always wondered what the extra two tablespoons of flour do in a recipe.

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Ha – I honestly have no idea!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 13, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Oooh yum these SO remind me of being a kid! PS. if you like m&ms, you should make this cake: http://pinterest.com/pin/61119155/

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I pinned that too – it’s SO cute!

Kim in MD — July 13, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Cookie butt? You are so funny, Jessica! :-)

This dough is the Cook’s Illustrated Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, with the chocolate chips replaced with mini M&M’s. I have been making this recipe for years-it is absolutely my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! Seriously, I was always hunting for “the best” chocolate chip cookie recipe until I tried this one. It is THE. BEST. EVER. I love that you replaced the chocolate chips with mini M&M’s, Jessica. It’s kind of like sprinkles in your cookies! ;-)

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Thanks Kim! I was just asking someone on Facebook if they knew where the recipe originated from. I’m gonna link it now!

Jess — July 13, 2011 @ 8:09 am

An acquaintance of mine made a similar cookie for a 4th of July party, but she slathered vanilla icing in between two cookies. They made a scrumptious, irresistible cookie sandwich!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — July 13, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Those look so soft and chewy! Yum. I’ve never seen cookies stacked like that before but now I definitely want to try it.

Gen — July 13, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Those cookies look amazing! I think I’m in love!:D

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 13, 2011 @ 8:11 am

The perfect cookie dough loaded with m&ms is love:-)

G — July 13, 2011 @ 8:17 am

My all-time favourite cookies. Ahhhhhhhhh…… I NEED one right now!!!

Kelly — July 13, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Jessica! Now I have to buy Mini M&Ms or Mini PB Cups….or both!!!! Altho, the boyfriend would like pretzel M&Ms in his, that’ll have to wait till he buys M&Ms!

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 13, 2011 @ 8:22 am

GREAT idea stacking the cookies! I’m assuming the center is even more gooey as a result?

Robyn — July 13, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Oh how fun!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 13, 2011 @ 8:30 am

ROFL!!! “Cookie butt!!!” OMG, That is hysterical, Jessica!!
    The cookie sounds amazing – will definitely have to try it. Love M&M’s, but I’m with you, no milk.

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — July 13, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Those cookies do look really good. I like the whole baking method–looks like mating turtles. tres cute.

shannon — July 13, 2011 @ 8:35 am

maybe thats why my cookies are never thick and soft and delicious like the cookies you get at subway. i need to start stacking them when i bake them.

kaceyt @ om&nom — July 13, 2011 @ 8:42 am

these cookies look absolutely perfect! and i can’t wait to try the secret cookie on cookie baking method! cookies this afternoon!!!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 13, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I love M&M cookies — and the tear-in-half-flip-over trick is such a good one — I love how big and fat they get!

sherri lynn — July 13, 2011 @ 8:51 am

ah these cookies look AMAZING! I’m definitely going to be making these soon. I love that you stack two halves of the ball of dough. And M&Ms are so fun and pretty! Must. make. soon.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — July 13, 2011 @ 8:56 am

I LOVE this cookie recipe. LOVE. I don’t know if I’ll ever make another chocolate chip cookie recipe again. I posted about it a few weeks (months?) ago. Can’t wait to try it with m&m’s. and admire it’s cookie butt.

Hilliary Wolfe @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 13, 2011 @ 8:57 am

My mouth is watering just looking at these cookies! What is not to love about bright color m&m’s in a cookie!

Clare — July 13, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Oh. My. Gosh. LOVE LOVE LOVE. AHHHHH these are going to be made and promptly eaten tonight.

mary (sisters running the kitchen) — July 13, 2011 @ 9:01 am

yum!! these look absolutely amazing!! i love m & m’s in my cookies! awesome way to bake them too….with one stacked up on the other.

Bev Weidner — July 13, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Dear pretty ponies. Those are adorable. Like, so adorable I want to put little bows on their little heads.
    NOM!

Katie@Just Because Katie — July 13, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Oh My Goodness!!! I will be making these today :)
    Jessica… How can you NOT like milk and cookies?! So Crazy…XoXo

Cait's Plate — July 13, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Cookies with m&ms used to be my absolute FAVORITE thing as a kid. And you’ve just convinced me that they now still are. It is 9am and I want to eat all of those!!

Amber @ Amber's Confections — July 13, 2011 @ 9:19 am

O. M. G. Love these! Need to bake them ASAP.

Emily — July 13, 2011 @ 9:22 am

In need of a bib now because I’m drooling over these cookies! I’d love them with my java this morning.

Emily http://www.mywordsinterestslife.blogspot.com

Meredith — July 13, 2011 @ 9:31 am

I’m vegan. AND I drool every. single. flippin. time. you post something!!!!!!!!!!! I think I might have licked my screen because those cookies look so good.

Katie Wish — July 13, 2011 @ 9:33 am

oh my gawd those look amazing. Now, I am about to put my three year old in the car and go to the store at 8:30 in the morning to get mini m&m’s. this website is my drug!

1 2 3 5

1. Pingback: 45 Minute Lunch Workout « Fear of Bananas

2. Pingback: Tilapia Peach Packets | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: M&M Cookies – Sprinkle Joy.

4. Pingback: 100% « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

5. Pingback: m n m oatmeal cookies « ambslovesfood

6. Pingback: Cherry Cornmeal Cake with Bourbon Glaze « Fleur-De-Licious

7. Pingback: the sticky and sweet » Blog Archive » Chunky choc-chip cookies

8. Pingback: WIAW: Post Competition Edition « A Blog?! Srsly?!

9. Pingback: M&M Cookies | Not Rachael Ray

10. Pingback: my favorite chocolate chip cookies « spill the beans

11. Pingback: Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Three Thing Thursday | | hayley-daily |

13. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this « kerrycooks

14. Pingback: finally a mini M&M cookie that worked. « makinghealthahabit

15. Pingback: Pillows of heaven | pumpedforpumpkin

16. Pingback: Salted Mudslide Cookies | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: M&M Cookies | livelovepasta

18. Pingback: lil updates « the coziness

19. Pingback: M&M, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Cookies | Life Tastes Like Food

20. Pingback: Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: M&M Rainbow Cookies «

22. Pingback: Dark M&M Cookies | chocolate & carrots

23. Pingback: Rainbow M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies | Eat.Write.Love.

24. Pingback: rainbow cookies | Sweet Dreaming

25. Pingback: Labor day, but overworked mind | Shanna Like Banana's Blog

26. Pingback: New Balance Nicole

27. Pingback: Sometimes I Feel Like A Nut | BittersweetBrooke

28. Pingback: Road Trip to Washington, D.C.!!! | The Sweeter Side of Life

29. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Cookie Recipe | How Sweet It Is

30. Pingback: I Did It Again … | The Ranch Wife Chronicles | Best Chocolate Cake Recipes In The World

31. Pingback: eating New Orleans – Patois « Living Well Nutrition

32. Pingback: Fabulous M&M Cookies « Beautiful Disasters

33. Pingback: Brown Butter Chocolate-Stuffed Toffee Chip Cookies. | How Sweet It Is

34. Pingback: This Weeks Delish

35. Pingback: White Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Cookies « The Blueberry Days

36. Pingback: Chewy Lemon Cookies | How Sweet It Is

37. Pingback: And for my next trick, I shall make the most delicious cookies ever to grace the planet « Spoonlighting

38. Pingback: Lethologica « hilleries

39. Pingback: Tis’ The Season | SMUStyle

40. Pingback: Maple-y Bacon Cookies « The Blueberry Days

41. Pingback: Link Love « Teen Eat and Live

42. Pingback: Brown Butter Double Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies | How Sweet It Is

43. Pingback: M&M Cookies Rock. | Confessions of a (Not-So) Domesticated Newlywed

44. Pingback: Flat Cookies | The Tamale Girl

45. Pingback: White Chocolate and Pomegranate Cookies « Bake, Robot!

46. Pingback: Chocolate chip cookies « One girl. One kitchen.

47. Pingback: Rainbow M&M Cookies | sally's baking addiction