This is how you make gooey, chewy, massive rainbow cookies that make everyone in life love your guts.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Lookie here! You don’t even need a mixer. You just mix all the goods with a whisk. Don’t have a whisk? Spoons work too.

Add some super cute rainbow candies… aka mini m&m’s. You could add regular m&m’s. Really… whatever floats your boat.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

This is the weird part. Roll your dough into a ball then rip it apart evenly with Hulk Hogan strength.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Bake cookies like this. Laugh because they look funny. Cry because you are ridiculous.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Not even joking. Really bake your cookies like this. It’s the SECRET.

While your cookies are baking, admire the adorable slash colorful slash overflowing bowl of mini m&m’s that you opened two bags of m&m’s for just so you could show all of your invisible internet friends what an m&m bathtub looks like.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

After your cookies bake and cool and you inevitably burn the skin off the roof of your mouth because you’re really a child with no patience, flip it over and look at how pretty it’s cookie butt is. Colorful cookie butt.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Stack up some giant rainbow cookies and set them by your overflowing m&m bathtub bowl. Pour a mason jar full of milk so you can photograph your cookies for your invisible internet friends, even though you hate milk and don’t even like to dip cookies in it.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Talk to your cookies because they are so pretty and perfect.

This recipe was sent to me by a reader, Gabrielle (Hi Gabrielle!), and as soon as it hit my inbox I knew I had to make them. I can easily say this is the best cookie I have ever made and that is no exaggeration. Ask Gabrielle… because I professed my love for her immediately like a complete weirdo.

Up until now, I have been using my fat snickerdoodle recipe… which took me hours upon hours to perfect, as the base for newer cookie recipes like my blueberry cookies and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I can say with almost 100% certainty that this will be the only cookie recipe I use for the time being… because if you can’t tell, I’m infatuated. With a cookie. Haaaalp me.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Giant Rainbow Cookies

makes 18 large or 36 small cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in the m&m’s.

Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.

Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be
soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Note: to melt the butter I simply microwaved it, and to let it cool I allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.

ETA: a few readers have told me that this is the same recipe as Cooks Illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Finally, take one single bite of your cookie since you are the epitome of self control, then neatly pack them up to share with others. Do not eat any more cookies, ever, because you are always satisfied with one bite of dessert.

411 Responses to “Giant Rainbow Cookies.”

Kerry — July 13, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Cookie butt. *giggles* That made my day. I live in a family of crispy cookie eaters… if I had my way, I’d make cookies so soft & fluffy, they were still dough. These look perfect!

WenDee Riffe — July 13, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

man oooooo man~~~this look great!!! will they make my but look as cute as their little cookies butts??? hehehe!!!

Kelly — July 13, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Omg..these look amazing. They are so worth ruining my wedding diet for. LOL.

Ashley — July 13, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Jessica, I already made the dough, and I’m planning to bake the cookies later. It’s in my fridge right now. Do you think I should bring it to room temp B4 baking or use the dough cold?!?
    Thanks for your advice! Can’t wait to eat them!!!!

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Hmmm… with all of my own cookie recipes, I always refrigerate then bake straight from the fridge. However, this recipe didn’t call for refrigeration so I didn’t do it and they came out great. I can’t imagine that baking them right now would actually hurt them – I say go for it, you possibly may need to cook a bit longer? If all else fails, after one batch, you will have your answer and know what to do with the second batch that goes in the oven! Let me know please!

• Amy W — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:04 am

They probably just won’t spread as nicely as when they are room temperature. It won’t change the consistency or flavor any.

• Ashley — July 14th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

BEST. COOKIES. EVER.
        They were amazing! I ended up bringing the dough to room temp, bc I realized my butter was unsalted (see, it helps to eat the raw dough!) and I had to get it soft enough to stir in 1 1/2 t of salt. They turned out perfectly. Love the snowman trick. My kids were THANKING me all night long for their yummy cookies!

Cara — July 13, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

I love rainbow cookies! These look awesome, and will be made in my kitchen this weekend :)

Maggie @MaggieCooks — July 13, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

they look so pretty! Yummy! I love m&ms!

Sam — July 13, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

I’ve never commented before but I found your site on foodgawker and I am seriously obsessed with all of your recipes… I’ve tried a couple before, buffalo chicken burgers and the shrimp scampi and both were delicious! Now I just have to try these cookies… I’m more of a baker than a cook and cookies have always been my weakness.. always turning out flat and too crispy and frustrating me every time! I’m so so so glad you’ve shared this trick – thank you so much for all the tasty recipes & I’ve got so many more to try!

• mairsydoats — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

Just a thought, here – how old is your baking powder? If you’re consistently getting too-flat cookies, you may want to consider the age of your leavening. That being said – the cookies really do look amazing!! Happy Baking!

• Sam — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

I never thought to check that, it could very well be my problem haha! Although doesn’t this recipe use baking soda instead or is that what you meant? Thank you!

• mairsydoats — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Wow, I’m a dork. Okay, I suppose the soda could be old? But Baking Powder seems to be more commonly a culprit for flat sad cookies. :-) Well, flat and sad baking products in general.

• Sam — July 13th, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

haha I will check both to be safe – thanks so much :)

• Amy W — July 14th, 2011 @ 11:07 am

A few other things that can make cookies sad and flat:

wet:dry ingredient ratio too high or humidity in the kitchen
          using margarine instead of butter

Try chilling the dough for a little bit before baking, it /might/ help!

• Sam — July 14th, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

Thank you Amy! Could definitely be the humidity … no AC :( haha. Anyway, thanks for the great tips!

• Katy — July 17th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Also, with these kind of cookies (using melted butter), the butter has to be ABSOLUTELY cool before you start. I’ve been too impatient before and used slightly-still-warm butter… and my cookies end up flat because the warm butter melts into the sugar when you mix them together… and you want that to happen *in* the oven, not before. LOL I have found that if I melt my butter, then stick it in the fridge while I get the rest of the ingredients ready and preheat the oven, it’s usually cooled off enough to use. It’ll be kind of slurry-like, not hard, but not liquid either. Hope that helps!

• Sam — July 17th, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Haha Katy that had to be it, I am very impatient and used slightly warm butter when I made these cookies (definitely fluffier and didn’t spread as much as any other cookies I’ve made) but still spread a little too much… I will try and be patient next time!!

Blond Duck — July 13, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

Those look awesome!

Caroline — July 13, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

These are literally the best looking cookies I have ever laid eyes on! The rip in half + stack technique looks interesting, I’m going to give it a try soon!

Mackenzie@The Caramel cookie — July 13, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Those are some nice lookin cookie butts!

Kathleen — July 13, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

These look amazingly chewily delicious!

Carolyn — July 13, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

These. Look. Heavenly!

Kala — July 13, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

You posted this just in time for me to bake them as my birthday treat tomorrow in my Kindergarten classroom. I made them immediately, but they are rock hard! I want your soft and chewy ones!

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Ah! Seriously? I just pulled another batch out of the oven and they are super soft. Did you alter the recipe/cooking time at all?

• Kala — July 13th, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

I used half a stick of unsalted butter because I only had one stick of salted… I’m not concerned though, the M&M’s are visible… and as long as they can see those, my 5 year olds will love them- crunchy or not! I’ll try again some other day!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — July 13, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

These look just like the ones I used to have as a kid. I think they were Keeblers? Anyhow once I feel better I’m making a batch!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — July 13, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Rainbow cookies! So intense! Haha. But seriously, these look ah-mazing. Must make soon.

Also, from here on out, I will be referring to the bottoms of cookies as their cookie butts. This is happening.

Sarah — July 13, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Oh wow, those look sooooo good! I wish people in Thailand had ovens and could bake!!! http://trunksup.blogspot.com/

Coryn — July 13, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

After seeing this post, I used this trick on some chocolate chip cookies tonight. It made them nice and thick-wonderful!

Jayme — July 13, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

Ok, so I arrived home from work at 8:15pm (awful, late night!) and jumped onto my computer to catch up on my daily blogs. Yours is always one of the first I read because I love not only your HIGHlarious writing tone (I feel like you’re speaking directly to me!) but also because I think you’re recipes are siply top notch. They are always interesting and speak to my particular tastes. Well, it’s currently 8:54pm and in a few minutes THESE cookies will be coming out of the oven! I don’t know what it was but I felt compelled to jump off the couch and make these. I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand (well, a small bag of M&M’s and some chocolate chips did the job)and I just went with it. I’m salivating as I type, and sweating b/c it’s still hot and humid at nearly 9pm here in Boston. I’m so excited to take a bite, sweaty or not, these warm cookies will for sure knock my Spanx off!

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

I love you Jayme! Enjoy. :)

bianca — July 13, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

You have managed to take me right back to my childhood! I love this recipe.

Leslie — July 13, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

BEST…RECIPE….EVER!!!!!! YUM!!!!!

Stephanie — July 13, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

This is my new favorite cookie recipe. I halved the dough, because I wanted to try doing chocolate chip and macadamia nuts in half of it and the M&M’s in the other… I just took the macadamia batch out of the oven and almost fainted when I took the first bite….

Seriously? These can’t be that good… Because they are too easy…

But they ARE that good.

This could be a bad thing for bathing suit season.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 13, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I will definitely be making these this summer!!

Katie — July 13, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

You talking to these cookies made my day. I talked to food processor today, so we are both funny.

Can’t wait for sugar-free-July to be over so I can make these!!

Lindy — July 14, 2011 @ 12:42 am

I made these today and they are so, so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. And thank you for your seriously hilarious posts! They always brighten my day :)

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 6:43 am

Thanks Lindy!

Amber — July 14, 2011 @ 3:11 am

have you ever made these?? http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/butterscotch_cookies/ I don’t think butterscotch is the right name- Brown Butter Brown Sugar- but do not roll them in the brown/white sugar dredge- instead use granulated sugar sprinkles (think coarse salt only sugar) which makes them crunchy outside AND chewy inside

La Enredadera — July 14, 2011 @ 4:20 am

I have to try this recipe!!! It seems so delicious!! It must be perfect!!

paul — July 14, 2011 @ 4:42 am

I really love these cookies.
    welcome to my website:
    double chocolate chip cookie recipe

Allyse — July 14, 2011 @ 5:12 am

You are freakin’ hilarious!
    I love your writing style =)
    Is it bad that I check your blog everyday just in case you’ve posted something??
    Oh well, you’re obviously just that awesome.
    Love one of your invisible internet friends….
    =)

Allyse — July 14, 2011 @ 5:14 am

Will this recipe work with UNsalted butter?

• Jessica — July 14th, 2011 @ 6:42 am

Yes, but I would add a pinch of salt to the dough.

megan — July 14, 2011 @ 8:27 am

“Cookie Butts” has got to be the best names/quotes/titles/descriptions of the year…I’m totally taking it as my own :) Cookie Butts….love it.

And, I hate milk too…never drink it. Mom used to pour me half a glass and it would last for a week. I just don’t get it…plus, dairy is much better in cheese and cream form.

SO, you are saying you will use this recipe as the base for many of your other cookies now? And you used to use a Snickerdoodle recipe (which I will also be looking up!) for many other recipes? VERY INTERESTING…I had found a choc.chip cookie recipe that uses pudding and makes a HUGE batch (like over 4 dozen) cookies and I love it, but I would love to know what you will adapt this recipe, and what you DID adapt your Snickerdoodle recipe, into…

I agree with your other invisible internet posse…love you!!!!

Jess S. — July 14, 2011 @ 9:02 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this, your blog and recipes have become my new favorite thing. :) thanks for sharing, I’m excited to try these this weekend!

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — July 14, 2011 @ 10:01 am

If ever there was a positive review of a cookie that was it! I know some people have the knack of ‘talking others into bed’ but i think you just managed to talk me into the kitchen without me realising! Wonderful looking recipe and im looking forward to giving it a go :)

shaffy — July 14, 2011 @ 10:09 am

i made these. immediately. but didn’t have any mini m&m’s. so sad. but i chucked in mini chocolate chips instead, and topped each with lots of mini marshmallows. but there was NOTHING mini in the taste! they tasted something like s’mores. and thank goodness i had the sense to make a double batch off the bat, cos i’ve only got 3 cookies left! the rest are well-distributed in the tummies of my army of four =)

Amy — July 14, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I bought some Coconut m&m’s the other day….thinking they need to go into this cookie recipe, asap!

Amy W — July 14, 2011 @ 11:08 am

This is the chocolate chip cookie recipe I use ALL.THE.TIME. and it’s absolutely amazing and everyone loves me when I make them. I’ve never tried them with mini m&m’s though… must do it now!

Angela — July 14, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I am absolutely thrilled about making these! One question, I would like to make this a peanut butter cookie…can I just add some peanut butter? Thanks

megan — July 14, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I’m afraid I could never eat just one cookie. I bookmarked, stumbled, pinned, whatever! :)

Maria — July 14, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Love these! The bigger the better:)

Jenny — July 14, 2011 @ 11:24 am

These cookies are simply amazing! I used regular m & m’s and my 8 year old praised my baking, even saying they would be good without the candy.

Erin — July 14, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I’m going to make these this weekend with those cute colorful chocolate covered sunflower seeds from Trader Joe’s. I <3 any recipe where I can get all my ingredients at my favorite store on earth. CAN'T WAIT!!! Thanks so much :)

Christie — July 14, 2011 @ 11:55 am

That is SUCH a great idea to double up the cookie! Thanks can’t wait for an occasion to try these :o)

Tiff @ Babes and Kids — July 14, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

I need these cookies, STAT! Yummy recipe, and I can see how others love your guts when you make them. :)

teresa — July 14, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Jessica~you are AMAZING!
    So FUN!
    So spirited!
    So passionate!
    So everything I LOVE…which is why I LOVE everything you share!
    I LOVE the heart you put into all that you bake~cook~create!
    Pinning this of course!
    I’m sure millions of COOKIE lovers will PIN this!
    You ROCK…hugs!
    xo

Jessica — July 14, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I CANNOT wait to try this recipe!! I love the big soft M&M cookie from Panera. This one is probably even better. I use Martha Stewart’s “Lexi’s Favorite Cookie” recipe all the time, but that makes for a more flat, chewy lace-like cookie. Question…what is the reason for the rip in half stack on top method?

Kristin — July 14, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Amazing!! I want one now, if banana bread wasn’t actively baking in my oven right now I’d totally make them! Guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow :)

Emmie — July 14, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

I just made these with white chocolate chips. Sweet. Chewy. Delicious.
    Thank you!!!

Michelle — July 14, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

My 8 year old daughter made these this morning. I thought the recipe was familiar…the shaping and melted butter reminded me a lot of cooks illustrated recipe that I’ve made several times. I didn’t have any salted butter (only unsalted) so I checked the original recipe and it actually calls for unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp. salt. Just in case other bakers out there find themselves out of salted butter! They were delicious and my kids loved all the color.

Lisa — July 14, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

You are my sunshine, my only sunshiiiiiine, you make me happeeeee, when skies are gray, You’ll never know, Dear, how much I loooooove you, never take my sunshine away! Thanks for the “rainbow”!

Lauren — July 14, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Just made these with the kids I babysit! They were the perfect kid friendly recpie & they loved making the shapes before we put them in the oven! And the m&ms were obviously a big hit….who doesnt jump up and down at the chance to go to the store and buy a giant bag of them!

Laura — July 14, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Hey LOVE your site- just found it thanks to the addicting site itself, pinterest– but ummm wanted to let you know- Williams Sonoma is having a pretty awesome sale right now! I just got some dishtowels for cheap & amazingly cute mixing bowls that easily pour…. and lots of other stuff I “needed.”

PS your email isn’t working otherwise I wanted to submit a recipe you could try

-have you ever heard of “white trash”– there might be other names but that’s what I call it:
    *white almond bark or white chocolate melted
    *popcorn
    *candies or sprinkles
    basically just mix it all together and it becomes this delicious sweet & salty treat. I like to put seasonal M&Ms or you could put sprinkles :) or candy corn or pretty much anything your little heart desires. It’s awesome and I wanted to share!

oh and have I said yet… I LOVE your blog? I even went back and got my self caught up on sweet Mother Lovett!

1. Pingback: Happy National Cookie Day (Tomorrow) | Color in Motion 5K Run | Run Blog

2. Pingback: Thursday Things | accidental intentions

3. Pingback: Christmas 2013 | might as well

4. Pingback: Stop what you're doing and look at this*% Kerry Cooks

5. Pingback: Somewhere Over the Rainbow… | An Affair from the Heart

6. Pingback: Chewy Chocolate M&M Cookies - Give Recipe

7. Pingback: Giant M&M Cookies | Chef in Training

8. Pingback: Announcing the Run for Autism Online Bake Sale | accidental intentions

9. Pingback: Giant M&M Cookies