I’d so love to tell you that this quick bread is different a million times over than other quick breads – say banana, pumpkin or apple spice. But that would be a lie.

Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread I howsweeteats.com

This bread is just like all those other breads. Completely devourable and best served in skinny slices since they are virtually calorie-free. But you know that by now. And you’re totally freaking out about those black specks all over the top, but it’s just that weirdo sugar + chocolate + coffee grinder from Trader Joe’s. So chill. Another {delicious} option would be to use some raw turbinado sugar because it’s extra crunchy. Texture is my jam.

Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread I howsweeteats.com

This marked the second time I busted out the Trader Joe’s chocolate coffee grinder; the third being yesterday morning when I threw it on top of some oatmeal. It had been nearly a year since I made a steaming mess of porridge, so not only did I forget how to make it, my end result was an overflowing pot of mush. And it just reminded me that I don’t really like oatmeal that much to begin with. Gross. But! I figured out a way to finish that bowl. Twist the grinder, take a bite. Twist the grinder, take a bite.

Don’t judge. That would be rude.

Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread I howsweeteats.com

So yeah. I’d much rather eat my oatmeal inside of things, like cookies or even cake and especially bread speckled with chocolate chunks. And this even tastes like a cookie. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

On an unrelated note, can you tell me how in the world it is September 1st? What the what? Where is the time going and why am I getting old and why do the days feel approximately 4 seconds long? Is the world ending? And on a second unrelated note, today is my brother Andy’s birthday. I’d give you his address to send him some cookies but that would be creepy, so a simple happy birthday should suffice. Or we could just throw a giant party with copious amounts of food. Now wouldn’t that be swell?

Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread I howsweeteats.com

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup buttermilk

3/4 cup chocolate chunks

coarse sugar for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a loaf pan {mine is 9×5}. In a bowl, add flour, oats, cinnamon, salt and baking soda together and mix. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy then add sugar. Beat on high speed until fluffy, scraping the bowl down occasionally – about 3-4 minutes. Add in egg and mix until fully combined, then add in vanilla and do the same. Add half of the dry ingredients. Once combined, add the buttermilk, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape down sides and mix on low speed until completely incorporated. Fold in chocolate chunks. Pour batter into the buttered pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Set on top of a baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread I howsweeteats.com

Thank goodness for skinny slices.

156 Responses to “Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread.”

Luv What You Do — September 4, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

When do you add in the brown sugar??? With the dry stuff or the butter mixture?

• Luv What You Do — September 4th, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Nevermind…reread instructions for 4th time. Got it!

Sharon — September 8, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Jessica, I have been following your blog for months and I am always sending friends here. I am so excited because my mom is making me this recipe :) thanks for all the great posts!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 8, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Quick breads are awesome. This looks so good!

Jessy (squeezetheday) — September 14, 2011 @ 7:34 am

What a gorgeous loaf!

Kathleen — September 15, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

this loaf is baking as I am typing.. the raw batter was delicious! (I know.. raw eggs and all that.. too bad!) Can’t wait to taste the final product! Will post later after eating a slice (or 2)

heather — September 17, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Totally have it in the oven right now!

• heather — September 19th, 2011 @ 11:58 am

It was devoured!

silverneurotic — October 6, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Bookmarking this recipe. It looks absolutely amazing. I want to make it now, but unfortunately I do not have buttercream in the fridge. Will buy some and try out this recipe on my next day off!

Erin — November 6, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

yep definitely just made this..forgot the oats. still tasted great though!

Emily — November 25, 2011 @ 3:35 am

This didn’t last long. I’m going to say a couple hours. Made it today for Thanksgiving and it didn’t even make it until dessert. :)

April — December 4, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

It’s about time I come by and say “Thanks for the recipe!!” I’ve made this at least six times already, and have no intentions of stopping. Just to share, I substitute honey for the brown sugar, and add 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Adds a tad more protein.

Thanks for sharing your recipes with us!

Becky — December 9, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

I made this last night and I thought it was a little… bland. Next time I’m doubling the sugar, it wasn’t sweet enough and didn’t taste like a cookie to me.

Rebecca — February 3, 2012 @ 9:57 am

Wow, your recipe looks delicious. I was wondering if I could use regular whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour? Also, is there something I can substitute for the buttermilk? Thanks :)

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I wouldn’t use regular whole wheat because it will be very dry and gritty. Either use all all-purpose or a 50/50 mix of all-purpose and regular whole wheat. As for the buttermilk, I’m not sure if a sub would work because it will probably change the recipe, but you can make your own with 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar/lemon juice.

Alexandra — March 20, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

I found your blog today and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. This is baking in my oven right now (I needed something to do with my leftover buttermilk and this seemed the perfect idea). Love your sense of humor, btw!

Katie @ OhShineOn — June 21, 2012 @ 8:29 am

I just made this last night but replaced the buttermilk with mashed bananas. LIKE ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Is this really happening? I needed to bring it to work to get it out of the house. Enough said.

Jordyn — September 21, 2012 @ 8:12 am

There should be peanut butter in this.

Alyssa — September 25, 2012 @ 10:50 am

STOP IT. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are my favorite ever… and you’re telling me I can spread butter on them now??
    Screw my diet, I’m making this as soon as I get home from work. Yes, I’m stalking your site at work. I’m so not working right now.

Stephanie Olson — October 11, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

I didn’t read your comment about not using regular whole wheat flour exclusively until I had already put it in the oven. However, I did add two bananas…so i hoping for the best ;) It smells good!

Khadijah — November 3, 2012 @ 9:06 am

This looks amazing! do you think quick oats would work?

1. Pingback: Perfect timing | Roller Koester Runs

2. Pingback: Did you see this? « To-do List

3. Pingback: Try to put me in a room, distractionless. | Danelle Bourgeois

4. Pingback: Chocolate Chunk Bread « Luv What You Do

5. Pingback: are you ready for some football? | things after the rings

6. Pingback: Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal Recipe | Guilty Kitchen

7. Pingback: Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bread

8. Pingback: Pumpkin Oatmeal Quick Bread — Savvy Eats

9. Pingback: Finally Friday « A Tasty Life

10. Pingback: Post It Fridays & Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Banana Bread « OhShineOn

11. Pingback: Power Restored: A Return to Normalcy «