Let’s make muffins today!

But wait. First let’s talk about how I apologized to my dishwasher last night. Seriously. I did.

No, I was not being facetious. I didn’t even realize I was asking my kitchen appliance for forgiveness until I opened the door mid-cycle (hello spa day) and cried “oh sorry. this will just be a second,” and retrieved a spatula that I needed RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

SO yeah. Now I am carrying on conversations with inordinate, nonhuman objects in my home. Wait. Did that make sense? I don’t even know if that’s the right word. But none of it makes sense because I talked to my dishwasher 12 hours ago. Like it was a person. And I am not joking in the least. It felt… normal?

And no I wasn’t drunk.

But I would have liked to be. In fact I’d like to be drunk right now because I’m feeling a weeee bit insecure sharing what I’m, uh… really like.

Beer me a muffin please!

Nowwwww let’s make muffins.

Are you one of those weird people that doesn’t really like chocolate with citrus? I am. That’s why I’m allowed to say that. And, you know… call you weird. Because I’ve always thought the chocolate-citrus (especially orange) combo was pukey. Oh yes! That’s a new word. Write it down.

Oh but you probably shouldn’t use it in relation to something food-like that you are trying to sell delicious appeal for to your invisible internet friends.

I’ve just never been a fan of chococitrus things. But I’ve decided that needs to change, so I made these extra delicious and fluffy muffins. Sort of like how my 24/7 brown butter mindset needs to change and how the dent in my couch cushion from me, um… sitting on it…. needs to change and how my I-don’t-clean-up-after-myself-because-I-think-I’m-special syndrome needs to change. Like yesterday.

Wait again. I’m asking a lot of myself today. I’m just going to go eat a muffin. Or at least the crunchy top.

Crunchy-Top Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins

[adapted from my oatmeal chocolate chip cookie muffins]

makes 12 muffins

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 cup milk (any kind will work)

1/4 cup freshly squeeze orange juice

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

zest of two oranges

3/4 cup milk chocolate chips, tossed in a bit of flour

crunchy topping

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon flour

2 tablespoons softened butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners. Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and sugar to remove all lumps. Measure out milk, then to the measuring cup add in orange juice, vanilla and egg, mixing to combine. Add to dry ingredients, mixing until just combined, then add in melted butter and orange zest, stirring until mixed. Fold in chocolate chips.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter equally into liners. Top each with brown sugar topping, then bake for 15-18 minutes, or until muffins are set. Serve with butter! Duh.

Cupcakes for breakfast!

146 Responses to “Crunchy-Top Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins.”

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 8, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

These muffins look fabulous… I am always a big fan of muffins with a sweet and crunchy top. Yum :)

Becca from BettyBecca.com — February 9, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

I love your blog! I just found you, and I’ll be a regular reader from now on!

And I think the word you’re looking for up top is inanimate (re: your dishwasher).

Ingrid — February 9, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

I just made these, and baked them for 25-26 minutes. I must note that this is a very runny batter! All the chips sank to the bottom regardless of the flour dusting. In comparing this recipe with the other muffin you referenced, the oatmeal recipe has 1/2 c more of “flour” (as oatmeal) than this recipe, and less liquid overall (no orange juice.) I am pretty sure that’s why it’s so runny. (I did add another 1/4c or so of AP flour to thicken it up a bit but I still wouldn’t expect a thick batter.) Nonetheless, they are delicious and fluffy once baked. FYI: I doubled the recipe without making any other changes and it made 24 muffins. LOVE the choco/orange combo! I will definitely make these again. Thanks.

Ingrid — February 9, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

Oh, and if you use foil liners, they peel off really easily, even when warm. Attack!

Melissa — February 9, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

I just made these……..AMAZING. They are moist and buttery. Everything a cupcake should be. The flavor profile is sophisticated, but craveable!! Also, super easy to make!

• Melissa — February 9th, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

PS- I dotted the chips on top of the cupcakes, under the brown sugar topping. It prevents the dreaded “sinking chips.”

Sarah — February 10, 2012 @ 11:06 am

I love muffins, and these look delicious, I usually just use my standard coffee cake version:
    But I will have to try yours next!

Karriann — February 11, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

One word: YUMMY

“Happy Cooking”

Sara — April 2, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

So I made these last week after pining over them for weeks. OMG were they tasty. My family couldn’t get behind the orange and chocolate (my coworkers loved ‘em) so clearly they are not actually related to me… how could they not get behind these?! The only thing they professed to have loved was the crunchy topping. To appease them I modified the recipe this afternoon when I had a hankering for another moist muffin. (Srsly, MOISTEST MOST MOIST MUFFINS EVER! I like alliteration obviously.) I replaced the OJ/zest and chocolate chips with applebutter (I thought I had applesauce and didn’t… the back up applebutter was probably a better choice in the end) and apple chunks. They may have been made for the chocolate haters, but said haters probably won’t get any because I’m going to eat all 12 before they get home. So good! Anyways, love the blog and all the recipes, keep ‘em coming!

stella — September 27, 2012 @ 8:48 am

Hi i will be trying these this week as they look delicious, but im not sure how much 1/2 stick of unsalted butter is

Elina Struckmann — May 23, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Kitchen appliances are one of the most indispensable things of every kitchen. Today, almost all the kitchens are flooded with maximum kitchen appliances as it completes the work efficiently, thus saving time and energy. Kitchen appliances have earned eminence and have become a celebrity of every kitchen due to its competence in performing various functions effectively, and for occupying less space. People have become obsessed to kitchen appliances and its magnificent services.”",^

1. Pingback: Sunday Stuff

2. Pingback: Quinoa and Black Bean Salad « Cate's World Kitchen

3. Pingback: When drugs won't fix that migraine: Chocolate Chip Pancakes | Cabin GoddessCabin Goddess