Enough talk about horses racing and racing horses.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Let’s discuss the real reason we should all be celebrating and consuming fantastic amounts of tequila on Saturday: my favorite holiday. I’m pretty sure I used to totally blow off Cinco de Mayo during Spanish class in high school, but I like to chalk that up to my ignorance surrounding guacamole and my innocence in relation to the liquor stash.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

NOW I relish in this day. I mean, the fact that I have to share it this year with my husband (who doesn’t even love Mexican food… what is wrong with him?) sort of dampers my mood, but not enough to squash it completely. I sense I will be actively alternating between margaritas and mint juleps come Saturday.

I sense that come Sunday I will want to die.

My true ideal would be to celebrate by eating some sort of Mexican food everyday this week, and now that I’ve type up those words I think I will. I highly suggest these crispy shrimp tacos, thai beef tacos, crockpot cheddar beer chicken tacos and buffalo chicken enchiladas. Together. Like, all at once. And to be washed down with fresh lime margaritas, fresh strawberry margaritas, blood orange margaritas, fresh peach margaritas and an extra shot of tequila.

My utopia, described.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

It would probably make me forget the fact that I wasn’t carded once in my multiple trips to the liquor store last week and that the gum I’m chewing right now is seriously killing my jaw and that if I tried to consume all four of those margaritas in one night I’d most likely be in bed by 7:13PM and have to receive the remaining drinks intravenously and that I’m getting, unfortunately, old and boring. But hey… whatever it takes.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Since we all know I’m a huge fan of the pork, I don’t think this needs much describing. Slow cooked in beer with some taco-like spices, then pulled until tender and topped with guacamole, jalapeño lime sour cream, fresh mango chunks and cilantro? Save me before I die of gluttony.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Crockpot Beer Carnitas

serves at least 6 generously with leftovers

5-6 pounds pork shoulder roast (or butt)

1 tablespoons canola oil

8 ounces of your favorite beer

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika

1/2 tablespoon cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

for serving: corn tortillas, guacamole, fresh cilantro, freshly chopped mango.

Combine seasonings together in a bowl and mix until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Once hot, add pork and sear on all sides until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side).

Add pork to the crockpot and sprinkle seasonings all over. Pour in beer, then cook on low for 10-12 hours. Check once or twice if possible and if needed, add more beer (I did not add any). Before serving, use forks or kitchen tongs to shred pork. Let sit on low or warm for another 20-30 minutes before serving.

Jalapeno Lime Sour Cream

1 cup sour cream

1 jalapeno, seeded and diced

juice of 2 limes

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

a pinch of salt and pepper

Whisk all ingredients together then serve. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos I howsweeteats.com

Someone please come over and eat tacos with me.

108 Responses to “Crockpot Beer Carnitas Tacos.”

Cassie — May 1, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

I live for Mexican food. I will take any excuse to celebrate.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — May 1, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

I’ll be right over!!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — May 1, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

This is seriously calling my name. May put it on the menu for Saturday!

mlj — May 1, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

that jalapeno lime sour cream sounds great!

thejacksonsdaily.blogspot.com

Jen @ pretty plate — May 1, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

I love your taco recipes. Can’t wait to try this one!

: ))
    Jen

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 1, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

We eat Mexican food AT LEAST once a week! Thus I have a whole slew of Mexican recipes I need to blog. Oh. And I guess I’ll have to add one more to the list! Love the jalapeno lime sour cream!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 1, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

Dang!! This looks insanely delicious. Love the mango on top too!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — May 1, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Discovered your website yesterday, and I have fallen in love with you food and your writing already! These look fantabulous!!!! I can’t wait to try them. Saturday maybe? With lots and lots and lots of mojitos :)

Lori — May 1, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

Definitely going to make these for my husband when he is home this weekend. Yum!

What beer did you use? I was considering Dos Equis. Or, should I cook with a different type and DRINK the Mexican beer?

Thanks for sharing, Jessica!

Lori

Julie — May 1, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

Oooooo.. Address PLEASE!!!
    I made for the second time your Thai Chicken Enchiladas. My hubs was gone when I made them for the kids the first time. Well… He loved them too so they will be a new staple round here!!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — May 2, 2012 @ 3:31 am

Now I’m craving this. The smoked paprika must give this dish the perfect secret ingredient flavor.

Beth — May 2, 2012 @ 11:46 am

So making this, OMG are you kidding me. Beer pork jalapeno sour cream. Yes!!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 3, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I adore tacos, and I especially love when I can just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do the hard work for me! These carnitas tacos look divine… I’ll be making them ASAP!

Bobbie Sue — May 3, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

love the leinies!!! :)

Nicole, RD — May 4, 2012 @ 7:13 am

I love carnitas! Sold!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 4, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

Those tacos look INCREDIBLE.

Margaret — May 6, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Oh my….looks yumolicious! Going to make with Beck’s Dark Beer. I love you’re blog & you’re recipes are creative with you’re own unique twist. I always look forward to you’re blog & seeing what delicious dish you’ve created! You’re awesome, Jessica …funny too!
    Margy G.

Katie — May 7, 2012 @ 11:45 am

I have this in my crockpot now.. it smells amazing!! Can’t wait to taste it.

• Lara — May 31st, 2013 @ 6:42 am

Just wondering how it turned out and if you made any changes. I’m making it for tomorrow. Thanks fellow foodie!

Kita — May 7, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

I am sad and glad that I am not the only one with a deep love for Mexican food and a man at home that doesn’t share that enthusiasm. If you ever need a date for tacos, call me. In the mean time, these carnitas look awesome.

Alexis — May 7, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I made these for my daughter’s first communion and they were a hit! So delicious. Thank you so much for the wonderful and inspiring recipes!

nicole — May 8, 2012 @ 11:04 am

oh. my. goodness. i made these last night with bud select (the only beer we had in our fridge!) and these turned out AMAZING. they were SO tender and full of flavor. fiance says it’s skyrocketed to the top of his “favorite things i make” list. :)

ps – made your springtime honey garlic roast chicken skillet sunday night. also amazing! you rock!!

Ali — May 8, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

YUM..also, where do you get your tortillas? Sorry if thats a stupid question, but I’m sort of on the hunt for the perfect tortilla…

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — May 9, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Those are some nice looking carnitas!

Monique — June 16, 2012 @ 1:28 am

I made this tonight and it was a hit! Toppings slightly different cause frankly I forgot about the sauce though it sounds delicious. Will make it next time. Thanks for the great, easy recipe!

Jessica — July 16, 2012 @ 10:33 am

How long would i stick it in the slow cooker if i halve the recipe? Its only the bf and I.

Thanks!

• Jessica — July 16th, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Probably a little more than half the time, but I can’t say for sure!

Jeff — July 28, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

Great, but I replaced the onion powder with fresh onion, and the garlic powder with fresh garlic. Also, instead of chili powder, smoke some jalapenos or whatever pepper carries the amount of heat you like) first. chop and remove seeds, and include those. You can also smoke the pork for a few hours (mesquite is good) to add that smoky flavor, then put in the slow cooker.

Amy — August 5, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I made this for a huge birthday party that I threw for my husband and they were a hit! Thank you for this delicious recipe!!!

Beth — September 20, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Well done! Exactly what I was looking for… will be trying today. Thanks!

anna — December 9, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

One of the best things about this recipe is that it leaves 5 beers (and a 1/3) for the drinking – lol!

Any excuse to bust out the crockpot is good for me :)

marilyn mussman — December 20, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

Great dish! I used a cheap beer & it was so freakin good! Everyone loved it:)

Diane — February 6, 2013 @ 11:21 pm

will this work with chicken? i hope im not reasking a question. porks just not my thing, but i love any variation on shredded chicken tacos!!!

Christine — March 12, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

I did my own recipe for the pork…whatever spices i had available….In this case a Portuguese Piri Piri and no beer. Because I forgot, I used stock. It was great but I would have added more heat next time. Chiles in Adobo would rock! I did make the sour cream but added some lime zest and doubled the jalapenos, because I like heat. Perfect compliment to the sweetness of the mango. MAKE THIS!

Hannah — May 14, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

I just made these and they were great. I used a just over 3 pound pork butt. I cooked it for about 6 hours and it was good to go. Thanks!

Lisa Salerno — February 3, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

you do realize that 1/2 tablespoon and 1 1/2 teaspoons are the same thing, don’t you?

1. Pingback: Cleanse – Day 2 | runningonhungrydotcom

2. Pingback: Adventures in Food | Jackie Aldama

3. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo–Derby… « all things splendid

4. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Feast | Blonde Ambition

5. Pingback: Duck Confit Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Rice

6. Pingback: Friday Link Love | Mugs & Pugs

7. Pingback: Food: Ten Slow Cooked Dinner Options | justb.

8. Pingback: | Pretty and FitPretty and Fit

9. Pingback: The Novice Chef » Upscale Party Food for Super Bowl 2013

10. Pingback: Superbowl Bets and Running « district delights

11. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Raku Bowl - Misadventures with Andi

12. Pingback: あなたがグリルなしで作ることができる31の楽しい夏の夕食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

13. Pingback: The Manhattan Apartments - Denver, CO - BEST Football Recipes!

14. Pingback: Five Friday Fixes: All Over the Place | Visions of Jill Hanna