I can’t stop doing something, and that something is roasting strawberries.

For as much as I abhor vegetables, I love fruit ten times more. Sometimes I think I could live on fruit and fruit alone, but then I think about bacon and chocolate and decide that I could live on fruit, bacon and chocolate alone. Oh and maybe cheese.

But this whole fascination seems only natural since I went through a wild blueberry roasting phase last year and started this winter off by roasting grapes. I just like to watch things roast until they explode. It’s stupid. It’s immature. It’s totally me. And on an unrelated (but sort of related) note, my mom used to always tell me that she would stick her head in the oven to dry her hair as a tween. I love roasting things, just not my face. I also just had to google “did people used to dry their hair in the oven in the 60s” to make sure her story was legit.

Also loving of late: super chewy grains. I’m all about the texture and farro fits the bill. I can be hard to please and this just WORKS. I stirred in some bursted strawberries, some crisper-draw asparagus that was about to go meet Jesus and a whole ton of goat cheese. It got all melty and the strawberry juices flowed and it was almost like risotto-ish. But not. Just really creamy and chewy and fantastically perfect as a side dish.

I recommend serving it by itself for a snack, with crispy roasted chicken or even a light white fish. But I also added some caramelized chicken to it for lunch one day this week and made a gigantic mess.

A gigantic scrumptious mess.

Roasted Strawberry Farro

serves 2-4

1 cup farro

2 cups water

10 large strawberries, quartered

1 teaspoon olive oil

8 asparagus spears, stems removed and cut into chunks

1/4 sweet onion, chopped

2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and add farro and water with a few pinches of salt, then let come to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cover, cooking until farro has absorbed the water and the texture is chewy – about 30 minutes.

As soon as oven is hot, toss strawberries with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt, then spread on a nonstick pan. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until caramely, soft and juicy. While strawberries and farro are cooking, heat a small skillet over medium heat, add remaining olive oil, onions, asparagus and a pinch of salt, and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes.

As soon as farro is finished cooking, add to bowl and stir in strawberries (and their juices!), onions, asparagus and goat cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Top with toasted almonds if you wish!

Plus, it’s pink. And I’m like… the total cliche of a female. So yeah… I loved it.

68 Responses to “Roasted Strawberry Farro.”

luv what you do — May 3, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I never thought to roast strawberries, but I love the idea!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 3, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Didn’t your mom like totally burn her hair off? I’m totally asking my mom if she did that.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 3, 2012 @ 7:10 am

Oh I absolutely love this idea! I could eat fruit all day long and good strawberries are SO good:-)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 3, 2012 @ 7:11 am

I love this! I have never roasted strawberries. I baked them, boiled them, microwaved them but never roasted them. I’ll have to try that!! Great recipe and so different, I love it!!

Katrina — May 3, 2012 @ 7:14 am

This is one fancy recipe! Loooove it!

Kim in MD — May 3, 2012 @ 7:21 am

That’s wild that your mom used to dry her hair in the oven. That sounds dangerous! I’ve never had farro, but would love to try it. This recipe with the roasted strawberries looks delicious!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — May 3, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Can’t say I ever would have thought to stick my head in the oven to dry my hair- that’s a new one on me too….. I have never even heard of farro (sad, I know!) but this is ROCKIN’! You have played a number on this pregnant woman this week. I want everything!!!!!! Now, please ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 3, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Wow call me naive but I’ve never roasted (or thought to try roasting) strawberries before. Sounds yummy though! I’m also a fan of chewy grains and am currently all out of farro, but might try this with wheat berries or spelt berries!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 3, 2012 @ 7:44 am

I’m such a girl, I love pink food! I need to roast straweberries more often. I’m the only one that will eat them, but that’s not always a bad thing. This looks beautiful and sounds delicious!

Lori @ Think Global, Art Local — May 3, 2012 @ 7:47 am

Roasting strawberries? Brilliant! Pairing them with goat cheese and asparagus? Double brill!

Oh, and my mom used to straighten her hair using a clothing iron and ironing board…totally nuts!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — May 3, 2012 @ 7:55 am

I’ve never tried farro, but anything with strawberries has to be good. I’m so impressed with all of the healthy recipes you’ve been making recently! ;) But I still love your giant M&M cookies best!!

Erica — May 3, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Sounds like dessert to me! YUM! I could totally live on fruit alone…so good.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 3, 2012 @ 8:04 am

How creative! I’d never have thought to do this! Love the asparagus and the berries together for a nice seasonal spring dish. Need to try!

Wow, awesome idea! I’ve never roasted strawberries but they look wonderful!!!

Amy @Macncheesenpeas — May 3, 2012 @ 8:21 am

Oh my word. I never thought to roast strawberries! I’m just gonna have to try it, I’m in a bit of a roasting phase. Great Recipe!!!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 3, 2012 @ 8:23 am

This looks magnificent! I have had a bag of farro sitting in the pantry for much longer than I care to admit – I think I need to get to it and this recipe fits the bill.

Maria — May 3, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I love strawberries. I need to try this!!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — May 3, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Wow, I’ve never had farro or roasted strawberries for that matter. I’m thinking I may have to do something about that. Strawberries are on sale at the store this week and you’ve also given me inspiration for some other things. SCORE!! That is, if the dish I’m thinking about turns out ok. ;-)
    Thanks, Jessica!

Kelly — May 3, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Are there plans in the near future to make the Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream from Jeni’s book?

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I miiiiiight have already made it.

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 3, 2012 @ 9:04 am

Love strawberries and anything pink! A must try!

Jill — May 3, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Oooh, this looks so good!

Cait's Plate — May 3, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I had farro for the first time at a restaurant the other day and it was SO delicious. I came home thinking to myself “I need to make this for myself at home” – aaaamd I think I just found the perfect way to make that happen :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 3, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I just finally roasted grapes after having that in my head since you posted that stuffed sweet potato with them. On to strawberries next!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Aren’t they awesome?!

Ashley — May 3, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I freaking LOVE farro. I haven’t had it in over a year and never gave it a shot to see if I reacted to it like the other GF grains. It has such an amazing texture. This looks perfecto!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2012 @ 9:50 am

I was wondering yesterday if you could eat it. So yum.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 3, 2012 @ 10:11 am

I just got over my roasted grape obsession so this is a perfect solution. Also, I’m allll about texture too, hence my obsession with steel cut oats and quinoa. Farro has been on my list to try but for some reason I just haven’t gotten around to it. But goat cheese and strawberries is one of the best creations out there, I would even say it rivals (!) chocolate and peanut butter. So yea. I can’t wait to make this.

Melanie — May 3, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Absolutely fascinating!! Wow-zers!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — May 3, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Yum! That’s looking pretty tasty! I just tweeted that I have become *obsessed* with overnight breakfast quinoa and fresh berries, and this looks like the savory version of that! Yummy to my tummy!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 3, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I actually have not worked with OR tasted farro yet! I clearly need to get on this!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 3, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I love farro and anything roasted – something I never would have thought of together, though!

Tessie — May 3, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I love anything roasted but never would have thought to roast strawberries! I can’t wait to try this!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 3, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Roasted strawberries and all the caramely juices are awesome and I bet make this farro taste spectacular!

Carrie T — May 3, 2012 @ 11:01 am

If you don’t like goat cheese, what other cheese would work? I keep trying to like goat cheese, but I just can’t get paste the taste. Which is weird since I like blue cheese. I have issues. That is all.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — May 3, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Wow, I am all about roasting veggies, but I never thought to roast fruit. I am so inspired!

Allie@sweetpotatobites — May 3, 2012 @ 11:07 am

what a great idea! i like farro and order it in restaurants but never make it myself. now i have a reason why!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 3, 2012 @ 11:15 am

My grandmother makes a roasted sweet farro dish to die for, I love the addition of the strawberries, I would definetely be happy to have this for breakfast!

Noelle — May 3, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Um this is weird but we BOTH made farro….I am posting a recipe tomorrow with farro. Never had it and I cannot wait to have my salad for lunch! :-)

Jamie {green beans & grapefruit} — May 3, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

I’m a huge farro fan! Love seeing what others do with it!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 3, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

Yum yum! What a great combination of flavors!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 3, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

I love the flavor combo! Goat cheese makes everything fantastic. To make it more savory I’d add in some roasted beets, or sub out the strawberry for beets :)

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — May 3, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

What a great idea and the combination of the goat cheese and such simple and natural ingredients sounds delicious.

Margarita — May 3, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

Strawberries and asparagus! Very interesting combination… bet this was awesome! Will definitely give this a go soon!

Rocky Mountain Woman — May 3, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Does it count that I singed my eyebrows off once trying to light a pilot light in an oven?

hah! Roasted strawberries are way too cool…must try…

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} — May 3, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Hey Jessica, This makes for the perfect detox after your gin cake…not that I’m stuck on that or anything.

Vicki @ WITK — May 3, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

Ive never had farro before, it looks tasty. i have oatmeal every morning, this might be a nice change of pace!

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — May 3, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Roasted strawberries sound divine. I bet that would work well with cous cous also! A brilliant discovery!

Amy — May 3, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

What? No alcohol? lol

Nicole — May 3, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

Fruit, bacon, chocolate, cheese….AND alcohol! Duh!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 3, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

i was just watching ina roast strawberries the other day and totally kicking myself for using the last of ours in a smoothie instead!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 3, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

amazing. just amazing and PINK! yay!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — May 3, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

Roasted strawberries. Roasted. I’m sorry, WHAT? Yum. Maybe I should try grilling. Girlfriend. You make me want to make fruit explode. Like peeps. Easter throwback say whaaaaaa.

1. Pingback: Laziness | Running the Windy City

2. Pingback: Sister Socks | Sleep and Repeat

3. Pingback: Leftover Turkey, Farro and Cranberries | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening

4. Pingback: Baby it’s cold outside, give me some greens! | Nutritarian Science Teacher