It takes a looooot of convincing to get me to eat fruit for dessert.

As a self proclaimed chocolate spaz and as someone who desires desserts so rich that they make your teeth spring cavities in mere seconds, fruit rarely fits the bill.

I lovelovelove fruit so much but IT IS NOT DESSERT.

Unless it looks like this.

Welcome to the rules of Jessica.

Give me some crunch and some crumble and that texture totally throws me for a loop.

As a kid, I was all about the strawberry kiwi flavor. I mean, you could have flavored a boot with strawberry kiwi and I probably would have tried to consume it. That’s a whole other issue in itself but whatever.

I feel like it may have been a trendy a flavor of the 90s, so in that case it’s totally my job to bring it back in the twenty twelve. I also adored things of the vanilla and coconut varieties – as sparse as they were back then, along with anything labeled “red.”

“What kind of popsicle do you want? Red.

“What flavor of huggie do you want to drink?” Red.

“What kind of Warheads should I buy so we can burn our mouths and faces off?” Definitely red.

“What color ice-pop thing that comes in plastic do you want? I mean I know this is your seventh one of the day but I figured you might want a change.” Only red. Okay maybe pink.

I never got down with “blue,” but that was SUPER swanky, right? Everyone lapped up their blue ice pops just so they could sport blue lips and tongues. I later learned that I didn’t love “blue” because raspberry is not my drug of choice, but I definitely succumbed to peer pressure and proudly displayed my blue teeth summer after summer. Orange was okay, but only if red was not available. Anything grape was a big fat NO. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Totally wasn’t a fan. Same with yellow, though once in a blue moon “yellow” turned out to be banana, which was totally awesome for about five minutes and then made you want to toss your cookies.

When other crazy (and utterly delicious) artificial flavors started popping up, like peach and lime and watermelon, my adventurous streak was in full force. I would seriously try anything with a tropical or not-so-common fruit flavor, which is probably why I harbored serious margarita and daquiri envy from the age of 14.

The thing is, I haven’t strayed much from my tween years. I’m still a marketer’s dream when it comes to things like pink grapefruit, nectarine mint and mandarin, it’s just that now things like that come in the form of foaming hand soap, lipgloss and nail polish.

And fruity dessert crisp, apparently.

Strawberry Kiwi Crisp

[adapted from my balsamic blueberry crisp]

serves 4

2 cups of quartered and chopped strawberries

5 kiwis, peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon of sugar

1/2 tablespoon flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

crisp

2/3 cup old fashioned oats

2/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 stick softened butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

vanilla ice cream for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix strawberries and kiwi with sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of flour and salt. Spray a baking dish (I used a 9-inch pie plate) with non-stick spray and add fruit.

In a bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add softened butter and vanilla, and mix thoroughly with a fork and your hands until it becomes clumped together. Layer crumble mixture on top of fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is juicy and crisp is golden.

Serve hot with vanilla ice cream!

I’m going to find a Warhead today.

92 Responses to “Strawberry Kiwi Crisp.”

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 22, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

I can totally do artificial strawberry kiwi flavor combos but real life strawberry kiwi is something I struggle with. But this crisp is something that just might change that!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — May 22, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Strawberries are PERFECTION right now! I plan to eat as many as possible all through the summer =)

Kelly — May 22, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

This sounds just as amazing as it looks!! :)

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — May 22, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

What a juicy and delicious dessert!!! Mmm!

kaceyt — May 22, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

I love love love crisps and can’t wait to try this one! The very best crisp that I have ever had was peanut butter banana and chocolate…with ice cream. So rich!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — May 22, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

So I’ve never thought to add kiwi to desserts before! You’ve just opened the FLOOD gates!!

pinguino — May 22, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

Red is also my favorite flavor. It definitely needs a comeback.

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — May 22, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

This looks ahhhh-mazing! Love the vivid colors.

Sophia — May 22, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

Looks so good! One of my favorite things about summer is fruit crisps. For your chocolate fix check out my blog post making chocolate truffles.

I have a high school student on my way to cullenary school and then beyond!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 22, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

crisps are amazing. and I honestly have no idea what a huggie is besides the brand of diapers lol

Mia — May 22, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

I think I’m a lot like you when it comes to my childhood food preferences (in principle, not exact practice). I ate anything grape flavored. I now am pretty sure that’s because grape-flavored stuff was purple, and I loved purple. Jelly…popsicles…Bubbleyum. I love the 90s, and I love that you love the 90s.

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana — May 22, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

We love fruit crisps, can’t wait to try yours!! Kiwi is one of my favorite froyo toppings, but never baked with it!

Alyssa — May 22, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

What a great idea to put the kiwis in this crisp…can’t wait to try it!

Cate — May 22, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Red is a legit flavor! “What flavor Kool-Aid do you want?” Red.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — May 22, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Hahahaha, so true. Grape and banana flavors were (and still are) always the worst!!! Though I am one of the people who is still 8 years old at heart and always chooses blue Jolly Ranchers and Icees to turn my tongue blue…

Anne Marie — May 22, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I was also obsessed with anything kiwi-strawberry when I was younger – especially Kiwi Strawberry Snapple. I drank it so much that just the mere thought of it makes my face scrunch like I’m eating three Warheads at once. But this crisp…yes, this crisp will break the spell! Also, thank you for reminding my of Huggies. What I would do to slam a straw through a cold red one right now!

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — May 22, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I never knew you could bake kiwi. Looks delicious.

luv what you do — May 22, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

I may have to make this for our BBQ this weekend. It looks amazing! Great idea to add in the kiwi!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — May 22, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

I usually prefer chocolate desserts over fruit ones, but crisps are an exception. Love this!!

erin — May 23, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Blue Tongue Splashers are where it’s at!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — May 23, 2012 @ 2:54 am

I could eat one or ten servings of this. What a fun combination with kiwi and strawberries.

idiosyncratic eye — May 23, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I wouldn’t have thought of using strawberries or kiwis in a crumble. :)

Lindsay — May 23, 2012 @ 10:39 am

I made this last night, using blueberries instead of kiwis and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Brooke — May 23, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Oh my Gosh. This sounds amazing! I’m going to drop everything right now and make this.

kristi — May 23, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Remember rootbeer popsicles?!?! Those were (are they still out there?) the best. If the only sweet option is something non-chocolate & frozen, rootbeer popsicles are right up there. Oh, and you can give me your green & purple rejected popsicles anyday ;-)

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

I loved rootbeer ones too!

Annie — May 31, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

OH MYY GOOODNESSSSSS
    this looks just soo good
    What do you use to take the pictures with?

ala-kat — June 18, 2012 @ 12:13 am

What type of oats? Would steel cut work? How about them being toasted? Too much stuff on colors and not enough on recipe execution.

shellane — July 17, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

This was by far the best desert i have ever made! thank you so much for this wonderful recipe.

kitchenhag — August 13, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I added some fresh rhubarb from the garden..perfection..love this recipe!

1. Pingback: Recipe: Strawberry Kiwi Crisp @Craftzine.com blog

2. Pingback: Strawberry Kiwi Crisp - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

3. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity leers