Can we talk about my burger obsession right now?

Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers I

Really… that is the only word for it: an obsession. I am straight up infatuated with burgers at the moment – like real beef burgers. I can’t get enough. To the point where I feel the need to hit up Five Guys once a week. Want to know what else? I’ve sort of been scheduling my weekends around it too.

It’s bad.

I’m hooked!

The only silver lining is that I really don’t care for their fries. In that case, I justify bacon on my burger. I mean, I’m eating JUST a burger. No fries. Bacon is welcomed with open arms.

Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers I

So yeah. These aren’t beef burgers at all. I know. But they are still pretty delicious and the result of what came out of my pantry when I was beefless.

That sounds so… wrong and I love it.

Oh and there is still bacon, obviously. This was actually my first time topping a non-beef/poultry burger with bacon and it felt SO GOOD. Whyyyyyy haven’t I done that before? You don’t have to top yours with bacon but I’d then be forced to ask – how are we friends? It’s up to you.

Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers I

The awesome thing is that these quinoa burgers are just as delicious off the bun as they are sandwiched in between. They are crispy on the outside and quite similar to my crispy quinoa sliders from last summer. I like to think that the recipe gets better and better each time I make it. Which is a lot. Sort of like how the movie Bridesmaids gets funnier and funnier each time I watch it? Which is at least three times a week because it’s constantly on TV.

Watching it now. Have no life. Can quote the entire movie. Will watch for food.

Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers I

1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 whole wheat bun, toasted
for topping: bacon, extra roasted red peppers and mayo - or whatever you want!

In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, basil, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, add beans and mash coarsely with a fork. Stir in quinoa, garlic and roasted red peppers, mixing well to combine. Add in bread crumb mixture and egg, mixing well to moisten. Once combined, add in the flour and mix well. Form into four equally sized balls.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Press each quinoa ball into a large patty, being careful to press the sides together so they don't fall apart while cooking. Add to skillet and cook until golden and crisp on each side, about five minutes. Serve immediately on toasted buns with your favorite toppings!

Note: if you use red peppers jarred in oil or water, be sure to soak up most of the liquid with paper towels before and after chopping!

[adapted from my crispy quinoa sliders]

Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers I

Just say yes to the bacon.

106 Responses to “Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa + White Bean Burgers.”

Nelly — March 20, 2013 @ 6:56 am

WOW those look delicious and so simple! Bookmarking this!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 20, 2013 @ 7:08 am

I LOVE quinoa in my bean burgers! Makes the outside so crispy. I know I’ve said this before, but I swear Max is your kid. He LOVES bacon on his bean burgers. These look amazing Jessica! I hope there are leftovers because I’m coming over for lunch! ;)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 20, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Leave it to you the non-vegetarian to make PERFECT veggie burgers and then…add bacon. I am total LOLing. I love it! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 20, 2013 @ 7:33 am

I am LOVING this burger! What a fantastic idea!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 20, 2013 @ 7:35 am

As a non-beef eater, these sound lovely to me!! I am SO dying to make burgers but it won’t stop snowing here and the only reason I have to go outside is to get wherever I’m going. Keeping fingers crossed tight for some warmer days this weekend so that I can fire up the grill for the first time this year. I’ve got some Thai inspired chicken burger recipes on my agenda, but these ones sound delicious too (and I don’t even need a grill to make them!)

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — March 20, 2013 @ 7:57 am

Done. Making these tonight. Every little thing I need is in my kitchen as we speak, including…BACON! Naturally :-)

Becca C — March 20, 2013 @ 8:01 am

So hubby and I love veggie burgers and these sound really interesting! But we don’t have any quinoa in the house. Any ideas of something we could substitute it with by chance…? Thanks!

• Jessica — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:02 pm

you could maybe try it with rice, but i honestly haven’t tried anything else and am not familiar enough with veggie burgers to make the call for sure!

• Katy — March 20th, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

Maybe brown rice or another grain? I can’t eat quinoa, so I was hoping there would be a tried-and-true substitution in the comments. If you try it, please let me know!

DessertForTwo — March 20, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Gah! You’re a burger queen. Have you thought about writing an entire cookbook about burgers?! You’re so good at sauces & combos. You could have a vegetarian and ‘almost vegetarian’ chapter..

I’ve got to make these stat!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan — March 20, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Ohhh girllll these sound amazing! I agree. 5 guys fries are good, but they don’t keep me coming back for more!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — March 20, 2013 @ 8:26 am

You WOULD add bacon to a veggie burger… and that is why I love your recipes best :) These sound delish!

Jess — March 20, 2013 @ 8:52 am

I LOVE meatless burgers! They freeze so well and are easy to reheat on nights I don’t feel like cooking. Great for a single gal!

Any calorie counters out there, I entered the info into MyFitnessPal (minus the oil and bun) and came up with: (for each patty if you make 4)
    178 calories
    2.6g fat
    28.5g carb
    5.3g fiber
    8.8g protein

Tieghan — March 20, 2013 @ 8:54 am

Oh yeah! Those look good and the bacon is a MUST! Never made a quinoa burger, but I think tonight is the night!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 20, 2013 @ 8:56 am

Jenna — March 20, 2013 @ 8:59 am

These look amazing and the fact that you topped them with bacon makes me smile! Cant wait to try these!

Harper — March 20, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Oh I agree about the fries. If they could adapt Rally’s fries I would probably eat there once a day. And have much bigger pants. And higher cholesterol. Although I think it would all be worth it.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 20, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Definite yes to the bacon. (And I thought I was the ONLY ONE who didn’t like Five Guys’ fries!!)

These look great!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 20, 2013 @ 9:45 am

great vegetarian option, I love this! only thing I missed? cheese, duh :)

Jenn @ Once Upon a Tier — March 20, 2013 @ 9:53 am

Um, these look delicious. Have any left you might want to share? :)

Amy's Cooking Adventures — March 20, 2013 @ 11:12 am

These look amazing! Live that you added the bacon! :)

Nancy@CouponClippingCook — March 20, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Yes to bacon for sure! Sounds like a nice change from beef burgers and they look so delish.

Kelly — March 20, 2013 @ 11:35 am

These look incredible!! :)

FashionEdible — March 20, 2013 @ 11:38 am

Yum! Now if only I can convince the hubs that beans taste good…

FashionEdible Blog

Alexis @ Hummusapien — March 20, 2013 @ 11:54 am

These look like such a dream! Love the spice mixture and the roasted red peppers addition. I bet they would be fab slathered in goat cheese!

Morgan — March 20, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Love the addition of bacon. Seems incredibly ironic which is why I love it! You can never go wrong with a burger, that’s for damn sure :)

alyssa @ cogs and cupcakes — March 20, 2013 @ 11:55 am

I’ve been obsessed with vegetarian burgers lately…walnut burger is at the top of my faves right now, but beans and roasted red pepper? Oh my, we may have a new winner.

Jess — March 20, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

Mmm, looks great. Love the bacon on there!

Some Snapshots Blog

Molly @Bakelette — March 20, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

I love Bridesmaids! The other day in NYC I saw the guy who plays the cop! His accent is real!! :)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 20, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

Love this burger!! Can’t wait to try it out! I was always scared of vegetarian burgers, but tried one recently and loved it.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — March 20, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

I love making my own veggie burgers – especially during the summer – but I haven’t experimented with quinoa in my burgers yet. Yours always look so good, I must try soon!

Alicia Greenrabbit — March 20, 2013 @ 1:40 pm

Does it have to be Quinoa??? I just can’t,last time I made Quinoa ……… was awful!
    And I’m a really good cook! Really!
    Okay about the French fries, they only belong with Fish and Chips!

• Jessica — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:01 pm

i’m not quite sure what you could substitute – i’m not familiar enough with veggie burgers to make that call! but you may like the quinoa when it’s mixed with other things and pan-fried until crispy. :)

• Sara Shedlosky — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

You have to try Jessica’s crispy quinoa sliders!! You would never know quinoa is in there…my boyfriend even loved them and he doesn’t usually like quinoa!

• Alicia Greenrabbit — March 21st, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Okay I will try Quinoa ,but I was going to to try Kashi too. We’ll see Jesse is the best cook ! thanks!

Eileen — March 20, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

These burgers sound great! I really need to get myself together and whip up a batch of two for future amazing lunches. :)

Grete — March 20, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

You don’t have to cook the quinoa first?

• Jessica — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

you do – the recipe calls for cooked quinoa!

Alexis — March 20, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

So where DO you find your fries-of-choice??

• Jessica — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

hmmm that’s a tough one! i’m not a huge fry person but i guess i love them all if they are covered in cheese.

Cat — March 20, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

Hey Jess! Have you made these with other types of beans? I hardly ever keep cannellini on hand, but maybe black beans? Let me know if you’ve tried other stuff!

Kelly — March 20, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I love a good homemade veggie burger. My recipe of choice usually has mushrooms in it, but this sounds like a great alternative. I’ve been cooking a lot with millet lately so I may have to adapt this to use that.

Chantel — March 20, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

It’s hard believe that anything could be better than the crispy quinoa sliders… But with bacon, maybe… :-)These are so on my sister bonding night menu!!

tracy {pale yellow} — March 20, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

The Five Guys by me just went out of business, I guess I didn’t go there enough! These burgers look like a lovely substitute at home.

Holiday Baker Man — March 20, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

Bacon is almost vegetarian isn’t it? ;)

Maria Tadic — March 20, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

There are so many bloggers out there with lots of new burger recipes – me included! They are so good. I can’t wait to try your recipe with quinoa. I always use rice, but the quinoa sounds like a yummy swap!

Greta — March 20, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

If you’re on a burger kick you HAVE to go to Red Robin if you already haven’t. I never ever ever go to chain restaurants but Red Robin burgers man… soo damn good.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 20, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

Boy can I relate to having an undying love for five guys…and for Bridesmaids, who wouldn’t?! These quinoa burgers look absolutely delightful and ill say yes to the bacon, always ;)

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — March 20, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

I follow you on instagram and I’ve seen those burgers. And I just spotted a Five Guys not too far from where I live.. DANGER. Maybe I should try and make these instead. They certainly sound delicious and healthier! Yeah, even with the bacon!

Bridesmaids totally gave me heartburn… from laughing too hard. It’s hilarious! :D

Sylvia @ — March 20, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

Ha. Beefless. Love it. I in fact have been attempting to go beefless or more beefless these days. This looks delicious and I vote bacon on top!

-Sylvia @

Michaela — March 20, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

These sound amazing! I’m going to make a gluten free version of these. I’m thinking it will be a fun use of my pickled red peppers. Thanks for another great recipe!

Amy — March 20, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Made these tonight! Swapped quick cooking oats for the panko and sundried tomatoes for the roasted red peppers. Amazing! So good with mayo as the creaminess complimented the tangy peppers (or tomatoes in my case) super well. Thanks for continously giving me dinner ideas.

Jennifer — March 20, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

Absolutely love your blog .. always one of my daily reads and I can only hope to be as great of a blogger as you one day !

Kiran @ — March 21, 2013 @ 1:34 am

You are definitely a queen of burgers. I’m drooling at 2 am, thanks to this recipe :D

Alanna — March 21, 2013 @ 1:48 am

These look awesome, and I love that you put bacon on them – hell yeah!!

Not Only Sugar — March 21, 2013 @ 6:51 am

I love this burger…

Not Only Sugar

Cheryl — March 21, 2013 @ 8:53 am

I was at Super Target this week at the check out line and these one girl was telling her girlfriend who had the cabernet wine chocolate in one hand and a sea salt in the other, and she said you HAVE to get the cabernet., and I’m thinking wine in chocolate, dunno…so it was on my mine to try and now your review. Can’t wait to pick it up!

1. Pingback: Meatless Monday: Chickpea & Red Pepper Veggie Burgers | Blonde Ambition

2. Pingback: WIAW #21…What’s with the cold? | foodiEcology

3. Pingback: Recipe: White Bean, Quinoa, & Roasted Red Pepper Burgers | What Dress Code?

4. Pingback: Vegetarian burger patty (quinoa, panko and garlic) | Cooking Without Books

5. Pingback: my surprisingly productive day | from house parties to housewife

6. Pingback: Monday Meal Plan | Like a Fat Kid

7. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa Burgers | It's Good to be the Cook

8. Pingback: 5/21 What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) | BusyBod

9. Pingback: 10 Veggie Burgers That Even Meat-Eaters Will Love « Natural Revolution

10. Pingback: Tue Jun 4, 2013 | Green Iron

11. Pingback: 25 Gourmet Veggie Burgers

12. Pingback: In Search of…A Good Homemade Veggie Burger | Integrative Health Psychology

13. Pingback: Coconut quinoa patties recipe | BusyBod

14. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

15. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

16. Pingback: WHERE'S THE BEEF? 17 BURGERS WITHOUT RED MEAT | Best Friends For Frosting

17. Pingback: Healthy Burger Recipe Round Up | Food Done Light