You know how I get fixated on something and… tend to overdo it?

Sourdough Grilled Cheese with Roasted Poblanos, Smoked Cheddar and Curried Brown Butter I howsweeteats.com

It’s happening again.

Taking my sourdough obsession to a whole new level.

And I can’t stop with the recipes that I consider a nice little bridge from summer to fall. This grilled cheese was my lunch a few weeks ago (after I finished the heirloom tomatoes and didn’t think I should just eat grilled bread for a meal) and I can still taste it.

In a good way. Of course.

And I’ve, maybe, since changed my stance on grilled bread for a meal.

The melty cheese is simply preparing me for sweaters and stuff.

Even though this recipe is ridiculously easy, it’s all the random flavors that totally MAKE it. Roasted peppers, smoked cheese, curried butter. Roasty, smoky, curry. I’m just gonna walk around saying that all day long. The combination is delicious. And no, I can’t find another word for delicious right now. It’s the most perfect description.

Sue me.

Oh and the butter comes from one of my favorite recipes of all time (seriously crave it for dinner at least twice a month) and I find myself using this butter on, well… everything. I will make a batch with the recipe above and the store it in the fridge. It manages to find it’s way into scrambled eggs, chicken dishes, even vegetables – it’s helpful.

And this crunchy, butter sourdough is just so… crispy. I can’t handle it.

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

2 poblano peppers, stems, seeds and ribs removed
4 thick slices sourdough bread
6 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, sliced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon curry powder

Directions:

To roast the peppers: remove core and seeds from peppers and slice into pieces. Lay the peppers on a baking sheet and preheat the broiler in your oven to high. Place an oven rack directly under the broiler, and stick the baking sheet of peppers peppers skin-side up under the broiler until skins are completely charred and black – this took about 10 minutes for me but will depend on your oven. Just check every 2 minutes or so. Immediately remove the peppers from oven and quickly place them in a ziplock bag then seal it. Set aside for 20 minutes. If you have a gas stovetop, you can also char the peppers like that and stick them in the bag. After 20 minutes, remove the peppers and rub the charred skin off and discard.

While the peppers are "steaming" in the bag, make the brown butter. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly until brown bits appear. The minute you see the bits appear, whisk in the curry powder and cook for 15 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat. Whisk for about 30 seconds more and then set the butter aside.

To make the grilled cheese, but the outsides of the sourdough with the remaining butter. Drizzle some of the curried brown butter on the insides of the bread, then layer cheese, peppers and more cheese. I like to have cheese on both sides to act "glue." Heat a large skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat and cook your sandwiches until the bread is golden and toasted and the cheese is melty, about 10 to 12 minutes.

[brown butter idea from 101 cookbooks]

Except I really can and want to take one of these down every single day.

70 Responses to “Sourdough Grilled Cheese with Roasted Poblanos, Smoked Cheddar and Curried Brown Butter.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 11, 2013 @ 7:04 am

That hunk of browned soudough, with the browned butter, melty cheese happening too, oh that looks wonderful. And I love the pan shot, with the flecks-and-specks of the browned butter bits. I love those little flavor nuggets!

Roasty, smoky, curry. LOL and I want all of that, like right now!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — September 11, 2013 @ 7:05 am

I better eat 6 of these stat… so ya know, I’m prepared for sweaters and all ;)

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — September 11, 2013 @ 7:11 am

Oh yummy yummy… I’m having grilled cheese tonight!

Jamie @lifelovelemons — September 11, 2013 @ 7:16 am

What an interesting combination!! Definitely one I’m willing to try out, sounds delicious!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 11, 2013 @ 7:26 am

I am not complaining about your sourdough obsession. It’s been my favorite kind of bread for years! Smoked cheddar + brown butter = this grilled cheese is so dreamy!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — September 11, 2013 @ 7:28 am

Yum! And I don’t think you need another word for delicious — delicious describes it to me just fine :)

bridget {bake at 350} — September 11, 2013 @ 7:40 am

This combination sounds insanely delicious!

Tieghan — September 11, 2013 @ 7:42 am

Oh my dear gosh, that curried butter sound crazy awesome! Why have I never had curries butter?? Why Have I never had curried butter on a grilled cheese? Seriously, I am kicking myself that I have been missing out on this grilled cheese for the last 19 years. That ends today because this is lunch!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — September 11, 2013 @ 7:49 am

Oh my gosh, the flavours in this thing are crazy! You are so freaking creative with recipes, it blows my mind. I’m sure they were fun to taste-test!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — September 11, 2013 @ 7:59 am

Anything to make butter more delicious may not be possible before I stumble on to this recipe! Curried butter looks dangerous. I may try it in your gnocchi butter recipe you posted with chicken for that Asian feel.

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — September 11, 2013 @ 8:00 am

Oh baby. Give me a side of tomato soup, talk boots and a chunky sweater and call it fall. I am so ready. And this sandwich makes my mouth water at 8 am.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — September 11, 2013 @ 8:21 am

This sandwich was sent to Earth by the gods. I am pretty certain of it. I haven’t had poblanos all summer, whatttttttttt am I doing with my life?!?!

Madison — September 11, 2013 @ 8:23 am

Gosh this looks amazing. I am not a big sourdough lover but I bet this sandwich will make me LOVE it!

TB — September 11, 2013 @ 8:34 am

I don’t even know what a poblano pepper takes like… All I know is that I need to make this ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

Kim in MD — September 11, 2013 @ 8:43 am

I benefit greatly from your food obsessions! This looks incredible, Jessica. Keep obsessing, please!

Ali — September 11, 2013 @ 8:56 am

Not much better than a grilled cheese – except for one on sourdough! Yum, great recipe.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — September 11, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Yum! I like the use of the curried brown butter!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — September 11, 2013 @ 9:21 am

umm HI! This is amazing. Curried Brown Butter = Just give me a spoon, thanks.

Heather — September 11, 2013 @ 9:53 am

There is NOTHING about this sandwich I don’t crave on a daily basis. OMG. The stuff dreams are made of!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — September 11, 2013 @ 10:18 am

Brown butter and curry and poblano peppers and cheese. Hi, dead.

Christina — September 11, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Crusty bread and I are best friends.

Stephanie — September 11, 2013 @ 10:52 am

convo i had with a friend this morning:

me: you can’t even tell me this doesn’t sound amazing [link to this post]
    friend: I could tell you that but 1. I’d be a liar and 2. it actually made me hungry while I’m sitting here eating breakfast. It’s wrong to be made hungry by a picture of food while you’re actually eating

Sarah R. — September 11, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Shut the front door! These flavors sound amazing together! I want to make this to go with some roasted tomato soup, and then I want to take the same flavors to make a scone recipe. Yum!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — September 11, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Oh my word, drooling over here!!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — September 11, 2013 @ 11:21 am

OMG the crust on that bread. I can practically hear how crispy it is. I’ve never thought of adding curry powder to brown butter – love it!

Angela @ Health's Angel — September 11, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Now I am DYING for a grilled cheese. I’m lactose intolerant technically but sometimes you just gotta have one. Worth it.

Marie @ Little Kitchie — September 11, 2013 @ 11:32 am

This is SO good!!!

Nicole — September 11, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

OMG this!!!! Wow. Craving. Can’t speak.

Lauren — September 11, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

I love the idea of curried brown butter! How awesome is that? I’ve recently discovered that I like curry powder in sweet things. I wonder how curried brown butter cookies would be?

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — September 11, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

Holy wowww this looks incredible! All my favorite things–sourdough, cheese, peppers–on one tasty tasty sandwich!

Archana @ FeedingtheFoodie — September 11, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

this might be the best recipe and grilled cheese ever! I LOVE all the components, I am a huge sourdough fan! love poblano , love grilled cheese and how awesome is the idea of curried browned butter…. just brilliant!
    I’m going to try this!

Jenna — September 11, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

This looks and sounds fantastic!!! Love brown butter anything

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — September 11, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

I could seriously live in grilled cheese sandwiches!! Looks amazing!

Arthur in the Garden! — September 11, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

Wow! You made a great sandwich better!

Ann @ PersnicketyBiscuit — September 11, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

Curried brown butter? Genius!

Laurie E. — September 11, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

Looks delicious- as always, the photos are amazing.

Casey — September 11, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

oh my gawd….*drool*

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — September 11, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

Currently having a life changing experience with this whole curried brown butter! Mind = blown!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 11, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

If this doesn’t pop into my body soon I’ll DIE! Omg. Totally crushing on this.

Larry — September 11, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

Ummmmmm
    ♥♥♥

Des — September 11, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

Curried browned butter?! Say WHAT?!?!

Annie @Annie's City Kitchen — September 11, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

LOVE that there’s curry powder in there. I never would have thought to do that.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 11, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

You have me sold on that browned butter! Amazing.

Potatoes and Pilates — September 11, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Curry + butter + cheese = three of my favourites things.

This ingenious, I say, ingenious.

Jacqui — September 11, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

This looks insanely delicious!!! And leads to thoughts of curried, browned-butter chocolate something …. icing? brownie?

BJ — September 12, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Ruh Ro! My head just did the Scooby Snap – Is that mine? Are you done with that?

Abbe@This is How I Cook — September 12, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I need this right now. Really.

Alexe — September 12, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

Um I need this right now with a side of tomato soup, my mouth is watering!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — September 12, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

The greater the lament against the word delicious the more I want to use it…and this sandwich qualifies…it looks DELICIOUS!!

Liane — September 12, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

I make my own sourdough bread so this recipe is right up my alley. I’ll be trying it soon!

1. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean

2. Pingback: It’s Finally Friday! #4 | Petal Loves Goose

3. Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar Sourdough French Toast Bake with Whipped Yogurt Topping | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: culture: the word on cheese