If there was ever a dish that had my name all over it…

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread I howsweeteats.com

Yeah. Like there would even be a question.

I might just be changing my last name to formaggi.

And I realize that I’m about to attempt to sell you on the idea of bread and cheese, and, well… it seems boring. And plain. And quite… uneventful.

It’s not trashed up, per my usual creations.

It has no bacon. It has no greens. It has no chicken or sauces or anything else that I tend to throw on a pizza, like not even blackberries or peanuts (that weird?).

And yeah yeah, I always say it, but this time it’s really true. SO WORTH IT.

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread I howsweeteats.com

These four cheeses together make up one of my favorite flavor combinations, if I can even call it that. I don’t know. Can I? Are four cheeses a “flavor?” Maybe not, but we can pretend.

Here’s the thing: the gorgonzola is necessary for this flatbread. It just is.

If you loathe it and aren’t the least bit interested in moldy cheese, of course you can use something else. But then it won’t be quattro formaggi and it… will… taste… like… something… else.

It will. Which is fine and dandy, but you know.

If you’re on the fence about gorgonzola, it’s not overwhelming in this recipe but adds the perfect bit of bite.

If you love it, then we can be best fraaaands forever and ever and ever. Just us and our green and blue cheese.

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread I howsweeteats.com

I’d like to do a cheese cannonball right into that pile.

So. There are a million different things you can do with this flatbread – or at least three, FYI. You can serve it as an appetizer. Yes. You can serve it as a base for other fabulous things on top, like lemon salted arugula with lots of ice cold pinot grig on the side. Or it can be your main meal with a big salad or side of your choice and a dry red.

Or a snack! Who says cheesy bread can’t be a snack? It surely can. Trust me.

Snack your little heart out.

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread I howsweeteats.com

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread

Yield: serves 4 appropriately, 2 obnoxiously

Total Time: 35 minutes

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stirring to combine. Add the water and olive oil and mix with a spoon until the dough comes together. Use your hands to finish bringing it together into a ball, then knead it a few times on a floured surface.

Roll the dough into your desired shape - I rolled in into a long oval about 1/4-inch thick - you want it to be thin. Place it on a nonstick (or parchment papered) baking sheet and brush with a bit of olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, until a few air bubbles form and the dough is golden. Remove the bread from the oven and cover it with the garlic, ricotta (I kind of spread mine out but feel free to do spoonfuls), mozzarella, parmesan and gorgonzola. Return the sheet to the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is totally melted, bubbly and golden. Let cool for a few minutes then cut into pieces - however many you'd like!

[bread recipe from gourmet]

Quattro Formaggi Flatbread I howsweeteats.com

Cheese piles. Favorite thing.

67 Responses to “Quattro Formaggi Flatbread.”

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — March 20, 2014 @ 6:57 am

wow, ya I’m not usually a green kinda cheeese girl, but I would give it a go in this. Cheese is never boring!

Cara's Healthy Cravings — March 20, 2014 @ 7:00 am

Formaggi has a nice ring to it, I support your name change ;)

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — March 20, 2014 @ 7:02 am

Nope I am fully in love with white pizza. I could not go pass blue cheese too; you know how to celebrate a Thursday/Wednesday.

Chloe @ foodlikecake — March 20, 2014 @ 7:06 am

This looks so delicious- I love your pictures!

Lauren @ Hall Nesting — March 20, 2014 @ 7:24 am

Definitely want this with a tall glass of wine!

Alicia — March 20, 2014 @ 7:26 am

Gorgonzola and I have a healthy relationship…meaning I can literally unwrap it and eat it like a candy bar. Is that weird?….I sure hope not.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 20, 2014 @ 7:30 am

Just the title is all I need. FOUR cheeses. Yes. pinned

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 20, 2014 @ 7:50 am

I think you’re going to make a lot of people happy with this one, Jess! As you said, sometimes simple is best… although let’s be honest – a little grilled chicken on top would probably be awesome too! :)

debie grace — March 20, 2014 @ 7:50 am

Seems very delish!!

Kim in MD — March 20, 2014 @ 8:01 am

Wow…I am seriously drooling over this flatbread! I’m going to serve it with a nice salad and a glass (or two) of red wine!

allie@sweetpotatobites — March 20, 2014 @ 8:04 am

Cheesy bread can TOTALLY be a snack. And yes to Gorgonzola! So good.

Tieghan — March 20, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Gorgonzola is the best. As is four cheese and this flat bread! :)

Liane — March 20, 2014 @ 8:42 am

I’m so making that. I always have four cheeses (incl blue) in my fridge waiting to be used. Saturday lunch it is.

Brenda — March 20, 2014 @ 8:56 am

What I am loving is the not having to WAIT for the dough to rise! Instant cheesy gratification at it’s best. Thank you!

Amanda — March 20, 2014 @ 9:04 am

Looks perfect! :) Four cheese heaven!

DessertForTwo — March 20, 2014 @ 9:17 am

This may look like just bread and cheese, but holy crap, you made the bread yourself too! You’re amazing! xo

Beth @ bethcakes — March 20, 2014 @ 9:52 am

Growing up, I only liked cheese pizza and made my parents order it with “light sauce.” This super cheesy bread is like the perfect thing for me! I would totally eat it as a main meal.

Ashley — March 20, 2014 @ 9:55 am

Like vanilla ice cream, all I want is plain cheese pizza. Four kinds of cheese will do. I accept delivery, Mrs. Formaggi. ;)

Alicia Greenrabbit — March 20, 2014 @ 10:00 am

This is like ……………………its the first day of spring ,take a deep breath , make this cheesy bread and sit back with a glass of wine……….

Amanda — March 20, 2014 @ 10:02 am

This looks soooo good. I’m definitely on the fence about the gorgonzola. I detest bleu cheese but have never tried gorg so I guess there’s a first time for everything. Cheese and bread always wins.

Kara — March 20, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Love this idea! Looks so good!

Lisa @ Simple Pairings — March 20, 2014 @ 10:20 am

Looks fabulous! You mention cheesy bread and I’m in – but I love your flatbread take! So simplistic and easy – very much my style :)

Wendi — March 20, 2014 @ 10:33 am

Oh how i love cheese!!!! and bread!!

Kelly Jo — March 20, 2014 @ 10:41 am

This could so be my dinner 7 nights a week. With a salad of course :)

Home Cleaner Canary Wharf — March 20, 2014 @ 10:43 am

I made something similar two nights ago, only mine was tre formaggi :) had it as main meal with big green salad. Gotta love the mikly taste of mozzarella cheese.

Julie — March 20, 2014 @ 11:19 am

So yum! I love green and blue cheese. Just a small request for a gluten free bread or pizza recipe somtime :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 20, 2014 @ 11:42 am

I’m in love with this. Completely and totally in love!!!

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — March 20, 2014 @ 11:42 am

Yummy! I’m just getting into blue cheese but I bet the gorgonzola tastes amazing in this!

Larry — March 20, 2014 @ 11:50 am

Add another thing to that list: breakfast. It could totally be breakfast. I’m kinda mad that it isn’t my breakfast, right now.

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 20, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

I am REALLY missing cheese these days, this whole Lent sacrifice thing is no joke! I love how this is simple yet sooo perfect. And ps I’m totally throwing smoked gouda on this thang :)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — March 20, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

Actually, I think anything covered in neon sprinkles has your name all over it (and mind you, I don’t know you in real life haha). … but this DOES look delish!

Rebecca @ itsanourishingthing — March 20, 2014 @ 1:20 pm

I love the simplicity!

Todd | HonestlyYUM — March 20, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

I could seriously eat this for every single flippin meal! Best friends, woohoo!! :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — March 20, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

Can’t go wrong with four cheese. You totally have me craving pizza (or flatbread) :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — March 20, 2014 @ 2:09 pm

I need this in my life, love!

Poppy Treacle — March 20, 2014 @ 2:12 pm

Hmmm looks sooo yummy :)) x x

Tamsin — March 20, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

This looks amaaaaazing and so simple! Def next on the cooking agenda x

Alyssa — March 20, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

If you have not had the Garlic Bread with Wisconsin roth kase blue cheese fondue from Michael Jordan’s Steakhouse you are seriously missing out. It is a cheesy bread game changer!

heather — March 20, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

There’s some honour in simplicity–this looks absolutely delicious. :)

Mariana @The Candid Kitchen — March 20, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

When I read “four cheeses” I had to come and have a look. I was not disappointed. This makes me hungry…and I just had dinner.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 20, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

I think Martha Stewart once said the good rule to a great cheese plate is something old, something new, and something blue. Words to live by! I’ll always go for that stinky blue! I could live off this and this alone!!!

Hayley — March 20, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

This looks insane! I used to love a restaurant that had a four cheese flat bread (one of the cheeses being blue) that looked JUST like this and they took it off their menu – we used to go often and have only been back a handful of times because of the lack of amazing cheese pizza :)

I see this pizza in our weekend plans!

Cindy — March 20, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

I love all the cheese! Gorgonzola included. Last night we went out for italian food and got a skillet of baked cheese…I told my husband I need more melty cheese in my life.

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — March 20, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

UGH. I’m pretty sure this is all I need in life…

Kathleen — March 20, 2014 @ 6:58 pm

Love this! You never “trash” things up!!!!

Erica — March 20, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

As piles of cheese are also my favorite thing this will definitely be going into my pile of things to make ASAP. Yum!

Kristina — March 20, 2014 @ 10:12 pm

okay. so, many cheesed flatbread? yes, this looks fabulous.

I came here to tell you that I am currently watching Season 3 Episode 1 of Girls. I FINALLY began watching these, um, I started … Monday night? we have gone through 2 whole seasons this week.

as soon as I get a few more episodes in this season, I am going to read ALL of your posts about Girls. I want to have these conversations with you!! SO MUCH IS HAPPENING, SO MUCH TO SAY! like, Jessa? is in some rehab or something? Hannah and Adam are back together and Marnie and Charlie are NOT and I am happy about both?

also, I love that Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth is Mindy in the rehab group. nice touch.

okay, that is all. for now. I’m sure I will comment on your previous Girls posts as I read. :)

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — March 21, 2014 @ 12:05 am

Oh my, that looks truly fantastic. I’m deeply in love with cheese (and bread). if I had these ingredients on hand I’d totally make this right now. Definitely going on my ‘Must Make’ list!

Jessica @ Sweet Menu — March 21, 2014 @ 2:12 am

I also am an avid cheese lover! These look amazing, would love to serve them up for guests at a dinner party, impressive!

emily W. — March 21, 2014 @ 8:09 am

Lunch today. My kids and I will inhale this. And some green juice and a salad for good measure. It’s all about balance. As long as the other side of the scale is cheese.

• emily W. — March 21st, 2014 @ 11:44 am

Just made this. Amazing.
      Two things of note:
      1) My 4 1/2 yo, 3 yo, and 18 mo are devouring every crumb. Made with the gorgonzola. And they’re not asking for any garlic salt, ranch, ketchup, or other condiment. And they all helped make it. Lots of parenting plus sides to this.
      2) That flatbread recipe is an amazing find. Seriously, I am so excited for all the potential it has.
      Profuse thanks Jess!

1. Pingback: What I’m Reading 3.21.14 | honeystuck

2. Pingback: It’s the Linkin’ Weekend!

3. Pingback: What's dishing on the blogs: Cookies and pizza | Pittsburgh News