These biscuits turned me into a bread girl.

I am so not a bread girl. Normally.

And before you go lambasting me about how lucky I am not to be a bread girl, how I am truly blessed to easily be able to pass up almost any and all bread baskets in my midst, please remember that I more than make up for my lack of bread with dessert. Like… everyone’s dessert. Like more dessert than anyone on Earth should physically consume. I mean, I can clean dessert plates like nobody’s business. No matter how full I am, there is always room for dessert.

So cliche. So very true.

I’m not quite sure if I was simply starving, brain dead from blasting my Jersey Boys soundtrack on high for the 56 millionth time (no exaggeration) or that these are as seriously delicious as I’m about to exclaim, but they were the best freaking biscuits I’ve ever had. Okay, okay – maybe not quite as good as those biscuits from McDonalds AFTER a disgraceful night of drinking, but otherwise, they are 100 times better than any other biscuits I’ve ever had. It’s not like I live in the South though and have had my share of fabulous biscuits. So take that as you will. AND! I tried super hard in 2012 to not use the words “best ever” for well, anything that I made, because is there really a best ever of anything? Not for me. Always looking for the next “best ever.” Always.

Clearly 2013 is not off to a very good start with that. 20 days in and I’ve set myself up for failure.

Oh, and the butter. THE BUTTER! It’s so weird but so great. Depending on how much heat you like, it can get even spicier. The meyer lemons make it a little tart and a little sweet, and unlike that crazy weird pizza I made two weeks ago, you CAN use regular old lemons here. Thank goodness, right? Right.

Monday just got so much easier.

My next step is to make some sort of boozy pot pie and top it off with these biscuits. Can’t you just taste it? Something with red wine and short ribs or… something. Well, that might be my third step. My actual next step is walking to the fridge to finish the leftover Chinese food from last night.

My Monday already needs an intervention.

Beer Biscuits with Sriracha Meyer Lemon Butter

1 1/4 cups beer

sriracha meyer lemon butter
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
the zest of 1 meyer lemon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon sriracha
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Make a well in the center and pour in beer, stirring with a large spoon until just combined, not overmixing. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together – I did.

Pat dough into a circle that is about 1 1/2 inches thick. This will make TALL biscuits! Using a biscuit/cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds and place on a nonstick baking sheet. You may need to bring the dough together and flatten it more to get the last few biscuits. Additionally, you could also just drop large spoonfuls of batter on the baking sheet and form them that way. Baker for 10-12 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve hot with sriracha meyer lemon butter!

sriracha meyer lemon butter
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well until combined.

[lightly adapted from these blue cheese biscuits, originally from bon appetit]

And that butter is incredible on… yes, everything.

75 Responses to “Beer Biscuits with Spicy Meyer Lemon Butter.”

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 21, 2013 @ 8:15 am

ok, these are just gorgeous. i’m not a bread girl either. i like it, but yeah… design reigns. or unless the bread is in the form of dessert like a sweet roll. :) the spicy meyer lemon butter itself sounds amazing and i feel i’d love any bread soaked in it. I need to try making my own biscuits sometime. :)

Simply Life — January 21, 2013 @ 8:19 am

oh these do look incredible!

Madison — January 21, 2013 @ 8:21 am

This is something my fiance will LOVE. He loves beer, siracha and lemon. Come on: I gotta try these now! :) Thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 21, 2013 @ 8:25 am

I had a desire to make biscuits this weekend, b/c I had buttermilk on hand for another recipe and said well biscuits would be perfect. But then ended up making bread with it rather than biscuits but now seeing yours…I need a biscuit fix. Yours are so tall, flaky, and perfect!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 21, 2013 @ 8:25 am

Dam Girl, you come up with the best combos! Lemon and Rooster Sauce!! Crazy!! I LOVE it!!!!!1 These biscuits look delish!

tracy {pale yellow} — January 21, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I’m thankful I can pass on the bread basket, I need to not want to eat something!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 21, 2013 @ 8:38 am

Ok, I am super intrigued by this butter. Lemons and sriracha? Never would I think to put those two together, but I’m totally going to try now. I’ve never really been one to make biscuits (as you said, I’m not a bread kinda girl) but yours look beautiful!

Kim in MD — January 21, 2013 @ 8:38 am

I am such a bread girl!! I’ve never had biscuits made with beer. They sound so delicious!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — January 21, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Ohhh no…you lost me a little at sriracha, but I’m thinking about a basil butter that probably wouldn’t be too bad :)

Alicia Greenrabbit — January 21, 2013 @ 8:47 am

Cmon no bread??? Crusty french bread warm from the oven with some fresh cold butter melting ?? I’ll forgive you ,because even though ,sadly you are not bread girl, you are …….Dessert girl ! I’m off to make a triple chocolate cake.

• Amy W — January 21st, 2013 @ 9:00 am

All I had to read was “crusty french bread warm…” and the rest of your statement was lost. Now I want french bread. Thanks :)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — January 21, 2013 @ 8:51 am

As a bread girl myself, I have to say that these biscuits look amazing!

Laura @FoodSnobSTL — January 21, 2013 @ 9:00 am

It is probably a bad thing that I am a bread girl and a dessert girl. . . .
    Also, beer + sirracha are two of my favorite things. Love that they get to come together here!

Allison @ Foodie Heart — January 21, 2013 @ 9:10 am

All I can say is welcome. I have been a bread girl all my life and these will definitely be made in my kitchen. And Meyer lemons with sriracha!? You’ve intrigued me again Jessica!!!

Erin@LawStudentsWife — January 21, 2013 @ 9:14 am

Jessica, you are not along in finishing everyone else’s desserts. LIke this weekend, I finished my best friend’s birthday cupcakes. Note the plural. And they were for her BIRTHDAY.
    Biscuits look outstanding and love the lemon addition in the butter. Bring on the carbs!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — January 21, 2013 @ 9:48 am

oh..must try these..Ive never really like biscuits, to dry, but Im trusting you!

Little Kitchie — January 21, 2013 @ 9:55 am

That BUTTER OMG. I am weirdly obsessed with making biscuits and am loving the sound of these. Yours are so gorgeously tall!

Katherine R — January 21, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Related to this post on SO many levels. Dessert? I eat about 100x more than any human. I can’t be stopped. Jersey Boys? Obsessed. Biscuits? Craved one last night (unusual for me) and now need to try these. Happy Monday!

Drew @ Catfish & Caviar — January 21, 2013 @ 10:13 am

These are making my mouth water! I never turn down some bread…especially biscuits!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — January 21, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Oh man!!! Those look incredible. What kind of beer did you use in the biscuits?

Jenna — January 21, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I’ve always been a bread girl. It’s not healthy. Totally in love with this recipe. Will be making this week for sure!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — January 21, 2013 @ 11:11 am

Sriracha meyer lemon butter! Oh my goodness!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — January 21, 2013 @ 11:11 am

I just bought sriracha for the first time ever (crazy, I know). I’m wondering if it needs to be refrigerated after opening? Thanks for giving me an excuse to use it!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — January 21, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Biscuits are so cozy.. Love these!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 21, 2013 @ 11:16 am

It’s so crazy it just might work…I don’t know how you came up with this, but I’m glad you did!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — January 21, 2013 @ 11:20 am

How on earth do you come up with your crazy ideas??? I’d love to be as creative as you in the kitchen!

Morgan — January 21, 2013 @ 11:24 am

What a beautiful looking biscuit in the fourth picture! It looks tall and fluffy and perfect.
    I have attempted biscuits three times in the last 6 months and have failed every time. I can’t seem to master the “gentle care” biscuit dough requires.

allie@sweetpotatobites — January 21, 2013 @ 11:49 am

i’ve made beer bread before but not beer biscuits! definitely going to give these a shot.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 21, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

I love bread. And I love that you are a bread girl now.

Carly @ Snack Therapy — January 21, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

Juuuust so you know, there’s a separate space in the stomach that just holds dessert. There is always room for dessert. And for these biscuits. Yum.

Aikko @ Bake Happy — January 21, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Meyer Lemon butter? Sounds interesting! Definitely on my to do list! :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 21, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Spicy and meyer lemon all in one?? Yes please, had me several of those biscuits as a vehicle.

Emma — January 21, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

These look amazing. Great photography. I will try them at home soon. Please check out the food blog I have just started Thanks!

Michelle — January 21, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

Are these whole wheat?? They look whole wheat. I make biscuits every Sunday (with a different recipe evvvvery week), and last night I made your fontina/everything biscuits. Needless to say, best yet!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

nope, I used AP flour but they do look whole wheat – I think it was a mixture of the lighting and maybe what the beer does to the texture? either way you can definitely use whole wheat pastry flour here – I use that all the time with this biscuit recipe!

Ashley — January 21, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

SO FLUFFY!!! I’m very intrigued by the butter!

Jennifer Lake — January 21, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

I never thought of myself as a bread girl until I had to go gluten-free. I’ve easily replaced my favorite deserts but what I wouldn’t do to enjoy that bread basket or a crispy panini when we go out to eat! That being said, these do look tasty and those McDonald’s biscuits.. there is something so tempting about them!

Jessica — January 21, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

I love Beer Bread and I love Lemon. So obviously, these are happening at my house asap.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 21, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

These sound unreal! Love that butter on top too. Oh my!

Nicole — January 21, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

These look delicious! What kind of beer do you recommend using?

Holiday Baker Man — January 21, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — January 21, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

I’m very intrigued by this…especially the butter! Must try!

Jillian @ Newly Bread — January 21, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

Wow! I am totally obsessed with sriracha but would have never thought to combine it with lemon and make into a butter!? Genius. I’ve been making honey beer bread recently, can’t wait to give this a try!

Eileen — January 21, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

Sriracha meyer lemon butter?? THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. I must make some immediately and throw it over a piece of broiled fish or something simliar.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 21, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

These look insanely delicious!!

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — January 21, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

I would still like to lambast you for not being a bread girl. I just cannot understand it. Bread calls to me.

Julie — January 22, 2013 @ 12:10 am

That butter and i are already best friends. And I haven’t even made it yet.

a farmer in the dell — January 22, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Wow! everything about these biscuits sounds amazing! Must Make Soon!!!

Holiday Baker Man — January 22, 2013 @ 2:49 am

So yummy!

Katie @ Oh Shine On — January 22, 2013 @ 8:59 am

This is going on the food buck list… I really need to rally and make my own biscuits, like, real soon.

Emily — January 22, 2013 @ 11:51 am

This sounds so much more appealing than the pillsbury cans sitting in my fridge right now. Looks like I know what I’ll be doing tonight while catching up on Revenge :)

Jackie @ The Beeroness — January 22, 2013 @ 11:53 am

I love this so much. I feel a bit like The Well Has Run Dry with creativity and this cookbook I’m writing. I need to call you and pick your brain, you always have the most amazingly creative ideas!

1. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Fried Baby Eryngii from Skool - Misadventures with Andi

2. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Beer Biscuits with Spicy Meyer Lemon Butter

3. Pingback: Recipe: Herb, Chard, and Feta Soup with Beer Biscuits - Recipe in Depth