I want to give Friday a big, fat hug.

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

It’s been a WEEK.

That started with a MONDAY.

The shouting is necessary because I’m dramatic and I mean, without all caps how do I convey my feelings? I don’t know. I just don’t know.

Would you like to eat some lettuce wraps? If I want to eat lettuce wraps, you probably do too. Things have to be delicious for me to wrap them in lettuce. That is a life fact.

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

The nice thing about this shrimp is that you don’t have to be concerned with deep frying it. In fact, you can probably make this entire recipe, from start to finish, in 30 minutes or less. That’s what I like to hear.

Instead of using olive or vegetable oil, I cooked the shrimp in my favorite… coconut oil. In my opinion it’s one of the best ways to cook almost any type of seafood and after remembering my dad cooking some beer battered fish in a thin layer of oil on vacation many moons ago, I figured I didn’t need to deep fry. This was so much easier and so flavorful. Pretty sure I’m going to start doing this with my crispy shrimp tacos because uh, yeah. It’s just delicious.

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

I know that Lent is rapidly flying by and I never did any sort of fish/seafood roundup for my invisible internet friends, but that’s because I… just… can’t… pick. It’s overwhelming. I sort of like fish. A lot.

Okay okay – if I have to pick, like if you are totally forcing me, I’d start with this crisp salmon with dijon cream or this toasted sesame salmon. If you’re in the mood for a sandwich type thing, you could do shrimp burgers with chipotle cream and coconut peach salsa (love), tilapia burgers with watermelon salsa (double love) or crab cake sliders with pineapple kiwi salsa (favoritest).

Yeah. Need to cool it with the fruit salsas. I know.

If you’re feeling like putting in a TON of work, you could make some clam chowder from scratch. It has brown butter croutons? That’s a day I won’t be revisiting anytime soon. As delicious as it was. I’m just too lazy.

Want more tiny food? These BLT salmon sliders are sorta cute. Mini food = you get to eat more.

However, my essentials? As weird as they both sound: salt and vinegar chip crusted fish (omg) and clams casino pizza. Seriously. Do it.

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa

Yield: serves 2-4

Total Time: 30 minutes

1 pound of raw, deveined shrimp
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup beer
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons coconut oil
8-12 butter or bibb lettuce leaves
1/3 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
sweet chile sauce for drizzling

mango avocado salsa
1 roma tomato, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely diced
1/2 mango, peeled and chopped
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
a pinch of salt + pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Add beer and whisk together until a smooth batter forms. Toss shrimp in the batter coat - I did this in three batches.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil. Once hot, add the battered shrimp and cook until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and let drain on a paper towel and repeat with remaining batches.

Add coconut to a small saucepan over medium-low heat, tossing and stirring with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes until toasted. Set aside.

TO assemble lettuce wraps, add shrimp with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and a drizzle of sweet chile sauce. Add salsa on top!

mango avocado salsa
Combine all ingredients together in a bowl and toss well. You can make this the night before, a few hours before or immediately before. It keeps in the fridge (in a sealed container) for 2-3 days.

Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Now I want to go to the beach. Someone make that happen please.

65 Responses to “Beer Battered Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Avocado Salsa.”

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — March 8, 2013 @ 7:59 am

So while it is 7am, I’ve been up for hours (dog walk, dog throw up, early morning at work). So that makes me super HUNGRY!!! I need this now. I really, really do.

Ali @ Ali Eats Clean — March 8, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Sadly, I can’t have beer, but I’d love a huge bowl of that salsa with a side of one of your margaritas! Oh, and this post makes me wish it was summer already!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — March 8, 2013 @ 8:11 am

I want to go to the beach, too! With a cooler full of this gorgeous salad!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 8, 2013 @ 8:19 am

You can give Friday a hug, and i’d like to give YOU a big fat hug for all of this amazing seafood inspiration and the beautiful photos!! I’ve got lots of salmon and other fish-related meals on my recipe plan for this weekend and if they turn out to be half as pretty as yours, my life will be complete! You can keep those fruit salsas coming! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 8, 2013 @ 8:26 am

I love this! Do you think Bud Light Beer would be ok? That’s all my Husband drinks! I need beer battered shrimp for dinner tonight! What a wonderful recipe!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 8, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Is that ginger ale with your meal? Or champagne? I hope it’s the later :)

And no, don’t cool it with the fruit salsas. They’re my fave things. They’re so signature Jessica. I love them!

Holiday Baker Man — March 8, 2013 @ 9:40 am

Tasty and healthy. Perfect with the beer!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — March 8, 2013 @ 9:43 am

This sounds like a perfect, beach salad for the summer–and then I look outside and its 30 degrees and miserable. Oh well.

Beer battered shrimp sounds pretty superb. I also really need to make you salt and vinegar chip crusted fish, because I remember that and was dying to make it!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 8, 2013 @ 10:01 am

This is sooooo up my beer battered shrimp lettuce wraps with mango avocado salsa alley. So up it.

Anne Weber-Falk — March 8, 2013 @ 10:16 am

Picture this: sitting on the patio looking over the large expanse of perfectly manicured lawn with the ocean view in the distance. The skies are sunny and blue with a few puffy clouds floating around. A light breeze, 75 degrees, low humidity. It’s lunch time and these are on my plate. Colorful, tasty and perfect for lunch on this beautiful day. That’s what I think about when I look at those pictures of your food. These look great and now I want to be on Cape Cod eating these.

Ashley — March 8, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Salad + lettuce wraps 2 days in a row?? WHAT is going on??? ;) Hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend. xo

Alicia Greenrabbit — March 8, 2013 @ 10:35 am

If you can be ready in an hour ,I’ll send my jet to fly you to a tropical Island for a week.
    Do you think It can make it through all this snow? ha,ha,ha!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 8, 2013 @ 10:40 am

I want to give YOU a big fat beer-battered hug for this one!

Tandi — March 8, 2013 @ 10:51 am

Ok, so I just bought some organic coconut oil to use as a deep conditioner for my hair. I’m loving the idea of using it to cook shrimp like this! I’m definitely doing it this weekend, maybe while deep conditioning my hair. :)

Maria Tadic — March 8, 2013 @ 10:58 am

I love that the shrimp look nice and light. I hate it when fried shrimp are so greasy and the batter is all bready and doughy. Not a fan. Will definitely try out your version!

Rebecca — March 8, 2013 @ 11:02 am

It HAS been a week. Such a week. Sigh.
    Come to the Jersey shore and visit me! Just kidding. This PA girl thinks the Jersey shore is definitely not all it’s cooked up to be. Ick.

Little Kitchie — March 8, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — March 8, 2013 @ 11:14 am

because it’s snowing right now in NYC and I’m all ancy for spring, you know what would make these amaaazing? a SUMMER beer!! Like Sam Adams Summer Ale or Sierra Nevada’s Summerfest brews – seriously, I think that would be major :)

Abbe@This is How I Cook — March 8, 2013 @ 11:20 am

This looks freakin’ great! And I love mango salsa. If I’m in hurry I even add mango and some cilantro to Pace and no one knows. My secret is out of the bag. But your version is much better. Mine is for when you’ve already had too much beer!

Kristi @ Cherry Jasmine — March 8, 2013 @ 11:45 am

This looks amazing! I need to try it this weekend!

Emily @ Life on Food — March 8, 2013 @ 11:57 am

Maggie @ Loaded Kitchen — March 8, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Delicious! Now that the weather is getting (a little tiny bit) warmer, I crave fresh, light flavors. I love the idea of a lettuce wrap–it’s so easy to just toss things in a tortilla but why not go for something a little healthier too? Thanks for the recipe!

Jess — March 8, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I’ve never had lettuce wraps- I usually prefer to just have a salad- but these look beautiful!

Some Snapshots Blog

Katy @katyskitchen — March 8, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

I looovvve lettuce wraps! This looks really yummy, and very colourful. Love the photos!

April — March 8, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

I need to read your blog BEFORE I go to the grocery store, not after! My word…I’m overdue for this kind of food.

Moni Meals — March 8, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

if THIS is what Friday looks like- I want to also give it a BIG FAT HUG!

Looks so so so good! Yum Jessica!

JulieD — March 8, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

I’m so ready for the weekend too!! xoxo These shrimp lettuce wraps look amazing!! I want 6 right now!

Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs — March 8, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Yum! I love beer battered shrimp. This recipe looks like the perfect meal to celebrate the end of a long week!

Larry — March 8, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

I die.

Julia Jolliff — March 8, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

I am so glad the weekend is here too! These beer battered shrimp lettuce wraps look perfect for a little happy hour alongside some more beer!

Jenna @ www.sensationallyseasonal.com — March 8, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Wow! This looks like summer on a plate! Beautiful photos btw!

Amanda — March 8, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Gorgeous Jessica!! Love these lettuce wraps!!

Rachel — March 9, 2013 @ 9:02 am

You crack me up. I love reading your posts and seeing your personality shine through.

Question for you: I have a severe sulfite allergy which is (sadly) in beer and wine. For your recipes that involve beer, is there a good substitute?

Jen @ Savory Simple — March 9, 2013 @ 10:54 am

Yes to all of this! Yummmmm.

Lindsay — March 9, 2013 @ 11:16 am

OMG made the toasted sesame salmon last night with a few swaps (added a little heat, fish sauce/white vinegar instead of rice wine) and made whole grain cous cous (with coconut milk) it was FREAKING amazing. Also, I am obsessed with the avocado mango combo. I basically cannot make guacamole without it these days (if anybody wants to check out the recipe: http://wp.me/p2UCl1-8v )

LisaG — March 9, 2013 @ 5:42 pm

In the 70’s here this weekend. Your last two recipes are being made this weekend! Thx. Love your weekly menu too.

ATasteOfMadness — March 9, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

Holy moly, this looks too good. I’m getting so humgry looking through your posts!

FashionEdible — March 9, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

This salsa looks truly amazing! I remember a mango salsa the hubs and I had in Hawaii and we LOVED it.

FashionEdible Blog

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 10, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

Oh yum, your wraps look so fresh and delicious!

miyafoodblog — March 10, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

When I saw the title of this I KNEW I’d love this recipe right away. Looks like im going to make beer battered shrimps tomorrow! :):)

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — March 10, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Seriously??!! Can I please just come live with you and be your official taste tester?

lauren — March 10, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

made this for dinner tonight it was UNBELIEVABLE. Thank you!!

Simone — March 11, 2013 @ 2:37 am

I love lettuce wraps… They are just one of the best inventions really and well, if the weather would finally shape up to allow for nice warm sunshine I would eat this everyday. But as we speak…. It’s still freezing…

Patty — March 11, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Just wanted to let you know, I made this last night and it was wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and easy to follow directions.

Simone — March 11, 2013 @ 8:41 am

Went with the more traditional chicken last night on this OH MY LITTLE LANTA. This was incredible. And it didn’t take long to make nor to devour. I can hardly wait to shove this in my face at lunch today.

Larry Gaian (@BBQGrail) — March 11, 2013 @ 11:15 am

I want some of these and want them NOW!

Erin — March 12, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

This was awesome! My husband loved it and both my kids gobbled it up.

Thank you!!!

alex — March 12, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

Oh my god. This was seriously insanely amazing! I live in FL and we didn’t have any mango so I used pineapple which worked well (next time and there WILL be a next time, I’m definitely using mango though).

The salsa, the shrimp, the everything was perfect! Thank you for this recipe. I think it will at least be made at my house every few weeks. There were only 6 shrimp left after 4 of us devoured it.

Emily — March 13, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

I made these last night and I thought I was going to die of happiness. I added some cotija and some mango-habanero hot sauce that I made last week and they were phenomenal. Every single thing I make from this blog is out of this world.

Colette from JFF! — March 14, 2013 @ 4:10 pm