Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash with Feta.
Definitely trying to brighten winter with this lemon spaghetti squash!
Okay after this, I SWEAR that I’m done with the lemon. For now. I know that things have been very lemon-heavy over here lately but it’s.just.so.good. I mean, it’s always good but right now during the peak of citrus season, it’s incredible.
It’s like the past month has tasted like one ginormous lemon bar!
I’m wrapping up work for my latest cookbook (out next year!) and one of the recipes that I’ve made approximately 10 million times over the last two years is a what I call a lemon butter chicken. The recipe will be in the book and it’s incredible – so basic but so good that we go through phases of making it once a week. I live for it.
That’s a very rambly (and unfair!) way of saying that I took some inspiration from that recipe and threw this together. Spaghetti squash, for the win! We actually shot this recipe waaaay back in November, when meyer lemons first came on the scene here. I’ve been dying to share it and today, I’ll be making it over on instagram if you want to see it in action.
Never did I ever think I’d want to attack a plate of squash. Until now.
Look at that!
I reeealllly suggest making the recipe with the butter listed because it cuts the tartness of the lemon, while providing a richness to the squash. It’s the fat we need with the acid we need and the flavor is DELISH.
On top? Of course you know that I need toppings. I crave the CRUNCH! I went with feta here for the creaminess and then sliced almonds for the crunch. A sprinkling of fresh herbs add a refreshing brightness that we need in this season too.
Also! You can totally make and eat this inside the spaghetti squash skin, much like my spaghetti squash parmesan! It’s easier that way if you’re making it for yourself. If you’re making it for your family or even for two people, scrap it out and toss it in the sauce.
I was also inspired to make this recipe because my uncle brought a simple yet delicious spaghetti squash dish to Thanksgiving dinner and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Even though the squash is a pain to cut, most of the prep time here is completely hands off! It’s a great side or light meal if you need some fresh ideas.
That’s exxxxactly the kind of recipe that I love.
Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash
Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 meyer lemon, juiced and zest freshly grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted if you wish!
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, like parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, right down the center. Scrape out the seeds (I like to use a grapefruit spoon for this) and place it on a baking sheet. Spritz or brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the strands easily scrape away from the sides.
- Right before the squash is finished roasting, heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter. Once melted, stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice, zest and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer then turn off the heat.
- Once the squash is all scraped from the skins, place it in a bowl or on a plate and gently toss with the lemon butter. I kind of swirl it with my fork so most of the pieces get coated. Sprinkle on the feta, almonds and herbs. Serve immediately!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
My day is actually happier now thanks to this.
18 Comments on “Lemon Butter Spaghetti Squash with Feta.”
Looks delicious! I’m all over the citrus, too. It’s the best thing about winter foods IMO.
Is this enough for a full meal, or would it need sides? If it needs sides, is there anything you’d recommend?
I’d actually serve it as a side with some simple grilled chicken!
i consider this a side (tho i’m sure for some it could be a meal!). i think it would be SO GOOD with my meyer lemon roasted chicken!
This looks super yummy! I can’t wait to give it a try!
Yum, I’ve loved spaghetti squash ever since I first tried it years ago! It’s so versatile and can be made different each time. The addition of lemon definitely sounds great and refreshing in this recipe!
I would love to be able to post some of your individual recipes to my Facebook page…as I have many recipe followers….but don’t seem to be able to. 😢
you should be able to copy and post this link to facebook!
Made this tonight & OMG we ALL LOVED IT !!!! So easy, so flavorful . I’ve made spaghetti squash before & wasn’t a fan- just needed the right recipe I guess- Yours! Thank you for this!
I finally made this recipe and OMG, it is so good! I loved the lemon butter flavor and the almonds added a nice bit of crunch and texture. This was fantastically easy to make and reheats beautifully. Will definitely make again.
I added shrimp to this, and chopped tomatoes on top! It was delicious! Even my kiddos ate it up!
Pingback: Friday Favorites from Damn Delicious, Floating Kitchen, How Sweet Eats and More
I made this awhile ago and forgot to review. It was so easy and tasted great!
Pingback: Baked Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash. | bakkbenchersnetwork.com
Just finished up. This was delicious!! A definite keeper.
Delicious & easy. The 16 year old who has an optional dinner every night gobbled it up. And the 19 year old who wanted pasta asked for 2nds.
Oh my Goodness!
On a cold day in Winter!!
Amazing treat to imagine Summer!!
Thank you for this lovely recipe!
I could imagine pairing it with grilled fish too!