Everything Smoked Salmon Tart.
Spring is going to look mighty fine with this smoked salmon tart!
Okay so this is my new favorite brunch idea, HELLO!!!
A few weeks ago my mom asked me what to serve for a little lunch party. After giving her a few suggestions, it really solidified a perfect lunch menu for me. A puff pastry tart is just too good to pass up. Because it’s easy but fancy. And super versatile.
You can serve it with a soup.
You can serve it with a salad.
Or you could serve it with both!
It’s easily customizable too.
Which is what I really love about this one and why you should make it in the first place. What would you put on a smoked salmon bagel? Put it on here! What would you leave off? Don’t add it. Make it yours, throw whatever you’d like on top, add something equally as delicious.
The puff pastry has a perfect everything border. It’s the best! I first started making my own everything seasoning when testing recipes for Seriously Delish. It’s easy to make and you can store it in your pantry. I love that you can make a huge batch of it and have it for everyday use.
Likewise, you could just buy the jarred version too – whichever works for you.
After the pastry is baked, you slather the whole dang thing with cream cheese. WHIPPED cream cheese. This is important! You gotta use the whipped version. First, the pastry is so flakey and delicate that it’s difficult to spread anything on top. Second, the whipped cream cheese is lightly and fluffier and makes the spreading part easier.
Not to mention, you want it to look pretty. But don’t worry about removing some of the flakey bits. You’re going to cover the cream cheese up anyway!
We finally top it with smoked salmon.
A sprinkling of pickled onions, or if you’re in a pinch, very thinly sliced red onion.
Some dill or other delicious herbs you love.
Capers! You know I love that briney punch.
Maybe one more pinch of everything seasoning.
And definitely a big squeeze of fresh lemon.
THIS IS SO GOOD.
So lovely for a brunch or a lunch or just a snack on the weekend. It’s easy and delish and different enough from your regular old bagel.
It’s crispy and crunchy and everything I love so much.
Everything Smoked Salmon Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 to 2 tablespoons everything seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water, lightly beaten for egg wash
- 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 to 4 ounces smoked salmon
- quick pickled onions, for garnish
- fresh dill, for sprinkling
- capers, for garnish
- thinly sliced lemon
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I also added in black sesame here!)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place a sheet of puff pastry on the baking sheet. Poke holes all over the puff pastry with a fork. Brush the entire thing with the egg wash. Sprinkle the edges of the sheet with the everything seasoning.
- Bake the puff pastry for 20 to 25 minutes, until it’s golden brown and puffy, If it’s puffed up a lot in the center, you can poke it with a fork to deflate it a bit.
- Let the pastry cool slightly. Gently spread the cream cheese over the tart. This will be tricky because it will lift a few flakey bits from the top of the pastry, but that’s okay! That’s why it is important to use whipped cream cheese - it is light and fluffy and not as heavy as the non-whipped cream cheese.
- Layer the smoked salmon on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle on the pickled onions, fresh dill, capers and another pinch of everything seasoning. Add on a squeeze of fresh lemon. Slice and serve!
- Stir everything together until combined. This makes extra so store it sealed in your pantry!
It’s everything! Literally.