Brussels, Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Pizza.
I live for a brussels sprouts pistachio pizza!
It has been SO LONG since I shared a pizza recipe!!
It’s crazy – pizza is one of my favorite things to make and I love trying new toppings and different varieties. This one is really extra delish.
This version had a little help. A few years ago I made this brussels pistachio tart that is incredible. I mean, it is so flavorful and fantastic that I could eat it once a week.
So I knew I wanted to do another brussels + pistachio combo, but this time on legit pizza crust and not puff pastry.
As a side note, I use puff pastry as my cheaters pizza crust all the time! We love a flakey crust like puff pastry because it mimics a few of our favorite local pizza places here. It’s a really great option if you’re in a pinch!
Regardless, I still wanted to make a larger, more traditional pizza with said combo. So here we are!
These flavors are unreal. Together, it’s like a delicious loaded brussels sprouts pizza explosion. The whole thing starts with caramelized onions, then we also have sharp cheddar and parmesan. Brussels sprouts, of course, and then chopped pistachios for crunchy sprinkle on top. The pistachios add such a wonderful nutty flavor and the tiniest bit of crunch too.
It’s all just so good!
P.S. baby bump alert! It’s kind of hindering some photos at this point. Ha!
When we do pizza night, which frankly tends to be more in spring, summer and fall because I use the grill or our ooni oven outdoors, I almost always make two different kinds of pizza.
All of us always want “at least a bite” of a more traditional pizza, so I’ll do cheese, pepperoni and maybe roasted red peppers. Even if we only eat one slice of it, it’s the perfect pizza for our leftovers.
Then I also always make another fancier pizza that isn’t “regular,” as my fam likes to call it. It ranges from buffalo chicken, to mushroom fontina, to lemon hot honey. In the winter, my favorite is always a brussels sprouts version. Brussels bacon is pretty classic these days and we all love that one too. But this one also really takes the cake!
This pizza has everything. It has sweet and savory flavor from the caramelized onions, tons of cheese, flavor and a slight chew from the shredded brussels and of course, the pistachios! Every bite is loaded which is the best kind to make. Each bite has flavor, texture and cheesy goodness.
It’s a pizza dream.
Brussels Sprouts Pistachio Pizza
Brussels, Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Pizza
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- flour and coarse cornmeal for dusting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup chopped roasted pistachios
- fresh herbs like parsley or basil for topping, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- While the dough rises, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the sliced onions with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until the onions soften. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onions become golden and caramely, about 20 to 25 more minutes. I don’t over-caramelized them, because they will still cook in the oven!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Sprinkle a bit of flour or cornmeal on a 10x15 inch baking sheet.
- Remove the onions from the skillet and place them in a bowl. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet over medium heat. Add in the brussels sprouts and the garlic with another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the brussels are softened and bright green, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it loosely into your desired shape. For this recipe, I just rolled out the dough to fit a 10x15 baking sheet. Nothing specific, just rolled to fit!
- Brush the dough with a tablespoon of olive oil, cover all over to the edges. Top with a sprinkling of the cheddar cheese. Add on the caramelized onions, then the brussels sprouts. Top with the remaining cheddar and parmesan. Top with the pistachios.
- Place the pizza on the sheet in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Check on it after 15 minutes - if it’s not deeply golden and melty yet, give it another 5 minutes. Once golden and bubbly, remove it and let cool before slicing.
- Top with a few fresh herbs if you’d like and some grated parmesan!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
13 Comments on “Brussels, Caramelized Onion and Pistachio Pizza.”
My husband says try the pistachios…I’m not sure…..really? pistachios?
Okay on half the pizza…my half though…and extra caramelized onions for me!☺
I just got my Ooni pizza oven! Do you use a different dough for those pizzas than your traditional oven pizzas?
Well, that’ll be tonight’s dinner. Thanks Jess!
Good timing!! Did you know it is national pistachio day?!
oh my gosh!! no!! haha how crazy!
Made this for the first time and it was an all time favourite with my family. Never thought such a combination would belong on pizza. Absolutely delicious!
Pingback: This and That - Two Peas & Their Pod
Does the dough recipe make enough dough for 2 pizzas or just one?
Delightful with puff pastry and topped with a balsamic reduction sauce. Also, I used 3 cloves of garlic. The amount of garlic isn’t stated in the recipe.
This is delicious! We topped our pizza off with a little bacon, but otherwise made it as written! Soooo gooood!
Sounds delicious! Can you edit to include the amount of garlic you used? Thanks!!
These are the real things that look like amazing..
Made this tonight. We really enjoyed it. Very tasty. Thank you! Will definitely make again.