Easy Weeknight Skillet Chicken.
This weeknight skillet chicken is an easy chicken dish that can go with just about any side. Seared chicken thighs and drumsticks with lots of garlic and herbs and a squeeze of lemon. Perfect and classic!
I have the most basic but delicious chicken for you today!
This is pretty much our go-to “regular” chicken. Just some traditional, classic chicken in a skillet.
That’s about it! Seared until golden and roasted until juicy and tender. I use bone-in chicken for this specific recipe and I recommend it because it’s so flavorful and stays very moist and tender.
I know a few of you will ask if you can do this with chicken breasts, and you can, but you probably need to cut the oven time in half. At least! And there’s a chance the chicken breasts could dry out. You just have to watch.
It’s no secret how much we love a whole roast chicken for dinner. It might be Eddie’s favorite meal ever. And it just ends up being a versatile dish, because we can use the leftovers for practically anything.
But I don’t always have one on hand and I don’t always have the time and heck, now I barely even have the time to prepare it, even though I’m seasoned at getting it ready for the oven.
Enter this easy skillet roast chicken!
I love to use a cast iron skillet because it transfers perfectly to the oven and really helps the chicken brown. The butter gets brown and the garlic gets roasty and caramely.
This is my favorite way to make chicken if I’m using thighs or drumsticks. The end result is such flavorful, juicy chicken with a crisp exterior, lots of garlic butter flavor and a ton of herbs and lemon.
It’s so good!
Once it’s all seared and golden, I pop it in the oven to finish it off. This could take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes – it really all depends on the side of your chicken pieces and how long/what temp you sear them. Don’t be afraid to check it after 10 minutes!
P.S. I highly suggest making sure you have a good meat thermometer for this, so you make sure the chicken doesn’t get overcooked.
It’s also a very versatile chicken! I serve it here with my parmesan orzo (another incredible classic, versatile dish) but it’s something that can go with an array of side dishes.
If you’re looking for other sides to serve with this meal, something to make it feel different each time, I’ve got you covered. I have a few options I go to that don’t require using the oven, since you’re already using it for the chicken.
Here are a few of my favorites:
You just can’t go wrong!
Weeknight Skillet Chicken
Weeknight Skillet Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and season it all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until it’s hot. Add the chicken and sear on each side for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drop in the butter and let it sizzle and brown. Drop in the garlic and herbs. Use a spoon to scoop up the melted butter and baste the chicken - drizzle some over each piece. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will differ based on the size of your chicken pieces and how long you seared it. Remove the pan and spoon the juices in the pan over the chicken.
- Spritz with fresh lemon and serve.
This plate is tops.