Crispy Broccoli Cheddar Melt Chicken.
This crispy broccoli cheddar chicken is a dream. Think crispy chicken marries broccoli cheddar melts all in one dish for the easier, most delicious dinner ever. We are obsessed!
A new way to love broccoli and chicken? I’m in.
This is a new family favorite in our house. It gets EVERYONE eating broccoli, which only ever happens with my parmesan roasted broccoli recipe. The chicken has a nice crispy crust, the cheese is melty and a bit crunchy and the broccoli is roasted and perfect.
And you can make the entire thing in ONE dish.
That’s what I love most about this. The chicken and the veggies are in one baking dish which is so easy. Now, I could easily eat an entire pan of broccoli myself (love it SO MUCH) so it’s okay if you want to make extra. But in the meantime, it’s perfect having everything right here. All you need is a side dish!
Whyyy is broccoli cheddar ANYTHING so good? Even though I mostly refused any and all vegetables growing up, I was always tempted by a broccoli cheddar stuffed potato. In fact, sometimes I’d get one and just eat the cheddar and the… potato. Skip the broccoli. I’m kicking myself now.
Some of my favorite broccoli cheddar recipes include these broccoli cheddar shells and cheese, my broccoli cheddar risotto, my broccoli cheddar quiche and broccoli cheddar stuffed spaghetti squash. Um and did you know I’ve even made broccoli tots before? Like tater tots, but broccoli. They are fun and delicious.
I was inspired to make this recipe because I make a ton of crispy chicken like this at home these days. Both Max and Emilia love it. It’s nothing for me to make a version of it two or three days a week and we serve it in many different forms. Sometimes I just serve it straight off the pan with my house sauce for dipping.
I LOVE IT.
This is how it goes down:
I do a light breading on the chicken. I do an egg wash and breadcrumbs – I love a mixture of fine breadcrumbs and panko for extra crunch and breadcrumb coverage.
Then I bake! I bake the chicken in a dish like this for 10 minutes. Just to get the crispiness started and to make sure the bread crumbs aren’t soggy. While this happens, I faux steam my broccoli in the microwave with some water, just so it gets a bit of a head start. For me personally, the broccoli doesn’t roast enough in the oven here.
I top the chicken in the dish with the broccoli, Top it with cheddar, then bake. Yes it is that easy. It’s not a cheese sauce, no cream or milk involved. Nothing! Just broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese.
I throw it back in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Gooey, melty cheese, with some crispy cheese stuck to the bottom of the pan. (aka, the best part). Roasty broccoli, crispy chicken breasts. It’s an excellent situation.
Then I slice and serve! You can serve with anything. Rice, pasta, salad – the options are endless. However, my personal faves for side dishes here are my parmesan orzo, this crunchy brussels sprouts slaw or even my spring pasta salad.
I mean, doesn’t that sound amazing?! You can see me make it step-by-step on instagram today too.
The chicken is juicy, the cheddar and broccoli are perfect and this chicken is a meal that everyone adores!
Broccoli Cheddar Melt Chicken
Crispy Broccoli Cheddar Melt Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Season the chicken breasts all over with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the eggs in one bowl and the breadcrumbs in another bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing gently so they adhere to the chicken. Place each chicken breast in the baking dish - do not overlap them!
- Once the chicken is in the dish, stick it in the oven. Bake it for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, place the broccoli in a glass bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave the broccoli for 2 minutes. This helps to steam the broccoli so it can cook quicker in the oven.
- Drain the broccoli and drizzle it with the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Gently flip the chicken. Top with three quarters of the cheese. Add the broccoli on top. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake another 10 to 12 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Slice and serve!
I call all the crispy cheese!