Gorgonzola Steak Lettuce Cups with Herby Vinaigrette.
We adore these steak lettuce wraps! Crisp lettuce cups, shaved carrot ribbons, pickled onions and creamy gorgonzola make these especially delicious. Drizzle with an herby vinaigrette for the ultimate pop of flavor.
This bright and vibrant dish will make your weeknight meals shine!
Can you tell I have warm weather on the brain?!
I am all about these light and refreshing meals that we can enjoy outside when it’s hot out. And I can’t get enough of this one. It is SO delicious.
These gorgonzola steak lettuce wraps are so fresh and simple. Seared juicy steak, creamy and tangy gorgonzola cheese, crunchy carrots and pickled onions and crisp lettuce all drizzle with a vinegar-y dressing that is loaded with herbs.
They taste like summer and are super satisfying.
This is filled with the texture that I crave. Those lettuce cups drizzled in dressing, the tender steak, the bite of the pickled onions. It’s a meal that comes together so quickly and one that is completely customizable too!
The steak lettuce wraps could not be easier!
This is what you need:
Steak, any variety works. Use your favorite. Whether it’s a filet, strip, etc.
Crumbled gorgonzola cheese. So creamy and tangy.
Butter lettuce and/or iceberg. I actually like to layer them for a heartier wrap.
Carrot ribbons for some extra crunch!
And pickled onions, which should just live in your fridge every week!
The layering of the lettuce is what makes lettuce wraps the best. I want the refreshing crispness of iceberg, but I also want that smooth and soft butter lettuce. So I will take a butter lettuce cup and place it over the iceberg leaf. I do this anytime I make lettuce wraps and it elevates them so much! It also gives more of a substantial wrap that doesn’t tear.
I sear the steak or grill it. Make it the way you love it best. Eddie loves it pretty rare but I prefer it medium. Because of this, I like to use two (or more) steaks so I can change up the doneness of each. This way everyone is happy!
Pickled onions are always in the fridge – they are one of my essentials. They can be made ahead of time and I make a new batch each week.
Oh and if blue cheese isn’t your thing, you could totally use feta or even a sharp cheddar here.
I adore the cool and crisp crunch of the lettuce with the tender steak. It’s the best combination. And I love to serve these with my grilled gorgonzola potatoes or even crispy smashed potatoes. I also love to eat them with jasmine rice and scoop some of the rice into the wrap or drizzle the vinaigrette into the rice. It’s amazing.
The vinaigrette is one that I crave. Think red wine vinegar, a touch of honey, garlic, parsley, cilantro and basil. It tastes bright and refreshing and can be used in a variety of ways. The tart punch of the dressing is so delicious and the honey adds the right amount of sweetness.
I prep meals like this early in the day too. This one is especially good because you can enjoy it cold as well. Perfect for lunches the next day, right from the fridge. The steak is great cold with everything else and it all just works.
Steak Lettuce Wraps
Gorgonzola Steak Lettuce Wraps with Herby Vinaigrette
- 8 to 12 ounces steak, I prefer 3 to 4 steaks so I can adjust doneness
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, if searing steak
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves removed
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves removed
- 1 cup grated or shaved carrots
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- pickled onions, for topping
- herby vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- Make sure your steaks sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat - you want it hot! Season the steaks on both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the hot skillet. It will sizzle and smoke and once it’s all melted, add in the steaks. Cook for 3 minutes, until deeply golden, then flip and cook for 3 minutes more. Add in the remaining butter. Once it melts, spoon it over top of the steaks for another 1 to 2 minutes. I like to cook the steaks to about 140-145 degrees (almost medium doneness or medium well). Remove the steaks and let them rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Layer the lettuce cups. I place one piece of iceberg lettuce down and cover it with a piece of butter lettuce. Then I add the sliced steak, carrots and pickled onions. I sprinkle on some gorgonzola and drizzle on the vinaigrette. There is no right or wrong here - you can use as much or as little ingredients as you’d like in the lettuce wraps.
- herby vinaigrette
- Whisk together the vinegar, garlic, herbs, honey and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Steam in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Drizzle it over the lettuce wraps and enjoy! You can make this a few hours ahead of time and stick it in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
It’s like eating a rainbow too.