I’m so totally weird.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

Guess what? Apparently I like vegetables in the winter… mainly because they don’t seem like vegetables at all. They don’t resembled broccoli or green things. I think we can all agree that squash is sort of like potatoes. Or something. Anything that you can mash with brown butter and cinnamon and brown sugar is so totally not a gross vegetable. I don’t see you doing that with broccoli now do I?

That’s what I thought.

And speaking of brown butter, I’m going to show you the best Thanksgiving side dish ever as soon as I can stop eating it.

Last week when I mentioned the gazillion pounds of squash hanging out on my counter, a commenter (Abigail!) pointed out that I should coat them in cornmeal and fry them. She promised I wouldn’t be sorry.

I wasn’t.

Duh.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

It also gave me an excellent excuse to fuel my sage obsession. Darnit, I freaking love this stuff in all of it’s freaky furry glory.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

You can make this squash as a side dish or even as a main meal. You can make it with butternuts or some of those other bumpy, ugly squasheseses. You can eat it plain or let it swim in Bone Suckin’ Sauce, which uh…. has replaced every single condiment in my life. I’ve never even been a condiment person and these days I find myself ready to chug that sauce straight from the jar.

I’m disgusting.

And I just realized this means I can no longer harp on my husband for ruining every single dish I make with ketchup. Crap.

But really… do whatever you want with this squash. Seriously. It’s delicious.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

In other news, I’ve developed a really horrific habit of watching Friends on Nickelodeon every night. Like… every single night. It’s on from 11PM-1AM. I watch all of the episodes. I’m normally in bed by my ripe, old lady time of 9 o’clock.

Shoot.me.now.

I’m pretty sure I have all the DVDs, so this shouldn’t even be an issue. Someone save my soul. I’ll make you squash.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Squash Rounds

serves 2-4 (or uh… 1)

2 acorn squash, sliced into rounds

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal

3/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs

6 sage leaves, chopped

3 egg whites, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then place a wire rack on top of the sheet. Spray with non-stick spray.

Peel acorn squash rounds if desired (this only took me an extra 5 minutes), then sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder and nutmeg. In one bowl, add egg whites and lightly beat with a fork. In a second bowl, add flour, sage, cornmeal and breadcrumbs and mix. Coat each squash round in the beaten egg white, then dredge through the cornmeal mixture, pressing to adhere. Gently place on the baking sheet and repeat with remaining squash. Right before baking, mist squash with a spritz of olive oil or non-stick spray.

Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip (if desired), mist once more, and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until squash is crispy and golden. Serve with dipping sauce of choice. I live for Bone Suckin’ Sauce. Garnish with crispy sage is desired.

Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds I howsweeteats.com

This totally counts as my vegetables!

133 Responses to “Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds.”

Elizabeth — November 9, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Mmm…I’m going to have to try these. They look delicious! Maybe I can get my husband to try squash this way.

Lys — November 9, 2011 @ 8:04 am

I didn’t know you could coat and then fry squash! Oh man, my noble plans of making a healthy acorn squash soup are totally foiled now.

I love that you watch Friends at the time when only college students are up! I mean…I don’t fall asleep on the couch at 10, immediately after someone gets sent home from The Biggest Loser, and all the intensity and dramz of the episode (ohmygod who’s going to fall under the yellow line? You don’t look like you’ve lost 6 pounds!?! You’re screwed. Start eating cake now, all hopes lost.) has sent me into a coma. No.

Ami @ parsnipsandpears — November 9, 2011 @ 8:05 am

AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait to try these mmmmm

Erika - The Teenage Taste — November 9, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Ooooh, these look yummy! They almost remind me of onion rings…but these are healthier! :-)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — November 9, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I think these would go over extremely well at one of our many thanksgiving dinners… If you want another dessert-ish squash recipe, this one rocks: http://www.imadedinner.net/2011/10/25/cranberry-stuffed-squash-giveaway-post/

Yes, i’m pimping myself in your comments. You like it :)

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:51 am

No, I love it!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 9, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Wow, I have a hard time cutting acorn and you peeled and chopped into rounds. Ok, going to give this a try! This recipe looks so good!!!! I’m excited to try this one!!

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Try peeling it after you chop – much easier!

Amanda — November 9, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I’m going to buy squash today to make this. I was looking for a side dish for tonight. Thank you !!

Kim in MD — November 9, 2011 @ 8:16 am

This crispy squash looks delicious, Jessica! I know what you mean about getting sucked into watching late night re-runs (with commercials!), when you probably have them on DVD and can watch them commercial free anytime you want to! What’s up with us? ;-)

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Seriously!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — November 9, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Love this! I also have a much bigger love of winter veggies… mostly because they can all be made sweet instead of savory:-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 9, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Okay please tell me why I have never done this with my 230923908 squasheseses I have sitting on my counter. Again, genius.

Aaaand I was pumped on Saturday night when I made it until 11 so I could watch 2 episodes of Friends. DO you remember when old TV show used to air at night on Nick? Like I Love Lucy? Now I feel old.

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Of course I remember! I’m pretty sure I’m older than YOU! :)

Katrina — November 9, 2011 @ 8:22 am

These sound awesome! I’ve never had crispy squash before and know it will rock my world!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 9, 2011 @ 8:26 am

My boys would love this! You know when I say my boys, I mean all of us. I realize I say that all the time, but I like it express when I can get the guys on board too. I think I have a problem with the collective “we” statements. Anyway, this looks delicious and smothered in hot sauce would take it to the next best level! YUM!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — November 9, 2011 @ 8:27 am

What a great idea! Love this!
    And I’m glad someone shares my Friends addiction…

heather — November 9, 2011 @ 8:31 am

Oooh, nice! Maybe this sounds weird, but I would totally eat this up with some Sriracha.

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Not weird at all… I’ve also been in a sriracha phase. :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats — November 9, 2011 @ 8:38 am

those look so delicious!!!! my mouth is practically watering right now!

Kristi@eatdrinkloveandexercise — November 9, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Acorn squash is one of my favorite veggies. I love finding new ways to cook it.

Rachel @ Mommygetsmoving — November 9, 2011 @ 8:56 am

This looks yummy. I’ve never had squash all crispy like. Going to try this.

Amy-Nutrition by Nature — November 9, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I just came across your blog and am very happy that I did! It just so happens that I have one more acorn squash just waiting to be eaten! Now I know what I am going to do with it! Thank you. :-)

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Thanks Amy!

sue — November 9, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Oh my! the fact that they are baked makes it healthy:) At least that is what I am taking away from this, cannot wait to try it.

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:49 am

You are right!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 9, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Lol, I definitely wasn’t expecting to look at vegetables on your blog this morning! These look awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever come across a squash that I don’t like, and spaghetti squash was the main part of my dinner last night! I think I’ll be picking up some acorn squash this weekend to make these!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — November 9, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I am amazed! I’ve never seen squash treated so royally! MUST do this!

Cookbook Queen — November 9, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Ok so, somehow you have managed to make squash look good. They should just crown you president or something.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 9, 2011 @ 9:19 am

holy. wow. you win! this seriously sounds so good that i’m going out to buy an acorn squash tonight…forget the fact that i already had some yesterday. i think the crunch is going to change my life…

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — November 9, 2011 @ 9:22 am

I just bought some acorn squash and was going to stuff them with quinoa, but frankly, this just sounds way more delicious.
    And yes. Friends. Nick at Nite. How old does that make you feel?? Is Friends the new I Love Lucy?!
    And ps last night was the one where Chandler says he’s 29 and I elbowed my husband in the ribs and screamed “Can you even BELIEVE THAT?” He wasn’t as appalled as we were. In his defense I think he was sleeping though…

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:49 am

I know!! I saw!

Emily — November 9, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t up every night during the same 2 hours watch the same show…dare I say it’s what gets me through my day? I, too, have the DVDs, but where’s the normalcy in that? I’m still waiting for my Chandler….some day, sommmmme day

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — November 9, 2011 @ 9:24 am

These look delicious, I have about 4 acorn squash sitting around in my kitchen! Looks like I know what to do with them!

katie @KatieDid — November 9, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Ahh good old nick at night, I used to dream of staying up late to watch those more adult like shows but obviously could never last that late!
    The sage is so pretty! It’s one of my favorite herbs these days too in all its fuzzy glory.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — November 9, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Yum!! They’re like gigantic onion rings!

Kristen@PrettySweet — November 9, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I’ve never, ever thought of acorn squash in crispy rounds! I’m sold. That last picture before the actual recipe is gorgeous. I love the close-up composition. I’m going back to stare at it again. Usually I only do this with cupcakes or cookies. Huh.

Laurie @SimplyScratch — November 9, 2011 @ 9:39 am

This is such a good idea! Love it!

Christina — November 9, 2011 @ 9:41 am

I totally watch Friends during that time, too. The secret to falling asleep is putting the sleep timer on your TV so it automatically turns off (hey… you’re not going to turn it off on your own!). But the best part is that my husband falls asleep earlier than me so he’s very confused as to why it’s always on Nick Jr. when he wakes up!

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Oh yes… I do that too.

Anne — November 9, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Can’t wait to try this! I’m obsessed with squash (it’s a pretty awkward things to be obsessed about).

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — November 9, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Love this!!

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — November 9, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Yumm…this looks fantastic. But what is bone suckin’ sauce? Sounds kind of scary!

Bev Weidner — November 9, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Friends is on NICKELODEON? When did I get so old? Where’s my walker?

I actually watch it every single day from 6-7pm. But see, I’m so old I’m in bed by 7:09, so I miss the Nickelodeon goodness.

I’m sad.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — November 9, 2011 @ 10:04 am

How clever!! I love this idea! :-)

Vicki — November 9, 2011 @ 10:10 am

I have never mastered the ability to peel acorn squash – any tips?

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

I literally just cut them into the rounds and then used a vegetable peeler around the outside. I figured it would take forever, but it literally took 5 minutes! I think it would take longer if you do the squash as a whole.

Cait's Plate — November 9, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Oh wow for a second there I thought you were chopping the outside of the squash when I saw the sage leaves! Then I realized it was sage. Haha. Someone needs a little more sleep I guess!

Erica — November 9, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Fried squash?! What a fun idea. Ive made baked squash fries and those are good so i bet these are amazing

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Well, this is baked too. :)

Lisa @ Life in Green — November 9, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Those look fabulous. I have to stop reading this blog first thing in the morning….I want dinner for breakfast.

brandi — November 9, 2011 @ 10:51 am

you and me both with the friends. could i BE any more addicted?

i’ve seen every episode 100 times, but I still watch, and still laugh at them by myself while nick is sleeping.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — November 9, 2011 @ 10:53 am

This is genius! I’m now thinking of how many different vegetables I can do this to.

Kelly — November 9, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Oh yes please!

Courtney — November 9, 2011 @ 10:58 am

I do the same with Friends!!! I thought it was the best when it was on Nick at Nite but now it is the worst because I HAVE to watch all four episodes that I’ve probably already seen about 10 times.

• Jessica — November 9th, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I KNOW.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — November 9, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I am ALL over this winter squash thing! I cannot get enough of the stuff.
    It’s a delicious addiction.
    Can’t wait to try this one!

Mel — November 9, 2011 @ 11:15 am

oh I am drooling. These look amazing!

Anita — November 9, 2011 @ 11:26 am

It never crossed my mind to fry acorn – only crookneck, or zucchini. That looks delish!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — November 9, 2011 @ 11:30 am

These are so pretty– kind of like healthy onion rings, right? :-)

Jen — November 9, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Ooh, we got an acorn squash in our CSA delivery and weren’t sure what to do with it. This is a great idea, thanks!

Katie (Sweet Tater) — November 9, 2011 @ 11:46 am

shut your face. this is incredible.

1 2 3