Are you hungry?

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

If there’s anything that I find difficult this time of year, it’s attempting to create healthy dinners when I feel like five kinds of crazy all hopped up on holiday sugar and it’s a million o’clock by the time I start our meal.

That’s where this comes in.

[Oh. And this and this and this and this. And this.]

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

So let me tell you one thing.

I am totally a burger person, but I have never been one of those people that could eat a burger without a bun. It is just so incredibly unappealing to me – I mean a burger has cheese and bread and bacon, duh! – and if I want to sacrifice the carbs, I’d probably order some sort of seafood dish or a chicken or steak salad. With fries and cheese, of course.

Wait… shut your face. Fries aren’t carbs. Because they are on a salad! Get with the program.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

But really, I just can’t do the burgers without buns and stuff. There’s something about eating a hunk o’ ground meat that turns me off. Especially turkey burgers. I really hate turkey burgers. And I’m sure this has something to do with how scarred for life I am from the first three months of marriage when IT’S ALL MY HUSBAND WOULD EAT. Dried out, flavorless, disgusting meat patties. Every single day. Serious.

Soooo.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

How crazy is it that I actually ate one of these burgers in a salad?!

I did, I did, I did.

My cousin has been making these burgers from her friend’s recipe for a few months, and my uncle made them last week; we had them on salads with lots of lime and rice vinegar. They are so juicy and packed with flavor that for the first time, I didn’t even need a bun. Which was good because I’m pretty sure he wasn’t offering me one.

But like, this burger was so delicious that not only did I not eat a bun that night… I didn’t even eat it with cheese.

I know what you’re thinking.

Who the heck am I? Me too. Me too.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

While I did end up slapping mine on two buns (that’s what she… yeah) this past weekend, I still skipped the cheese because truly? I wasn’t sure what kind of cheese to use. I love the flavors of sesame oil and garlic and soy sauce and was too afraid that the cheddar or fresh mozz I had in my fridge just wouldn’t mesh. Can some of you smart and fancy cheese people help me out here and suggest a great one for next time?

Luckily I made up for that yesterday when I consumed nearly an entire triangle of creamy syrah-soaked toscana from Trader Joe’s (OMGwherehasthisbeenallmylife?!). Get on that people, stat.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

Instead of the cheese I wasn’t sure about, I threw together some mayo with sriracha and lots of lime junk. I typically only like mayo on my BLT’s and thousand-calorie diner club sandwiches, but something about this sounded flipping awesome. And then I was even able to top my burger with tomato and butter lettuce (favorite… I wonder why) and eat pretty much an entire month’s worth of vegetables here.

I love when that happens.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

Asian Turkey Burgers

makes 4 burgers

1 pound ground turkey breast

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger

3 green onions, thinly chopped

1/2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

4 whole wheat buns

Combine all ingredients (except buns) in a large bowl and mix gently with your hands until just combined – do not overmix. Form turkey into 4 patties about 1/2 inch thick. Heat a skillet (in my case – a cast iron grill pan) over medium-high heat (or preheat your grill) and once hot, add burgers. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side.

Toast buns if desired, then top burgers with mayo and serve.

Spicy Lime Mayo

1/4 cup mayonaisse

1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or more if desired)

zest of half of a lime

juice of half a lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and combined.

Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo I howsweeteats.com

If you know what’s good for you, these will be on your table tonight.

140 Responses to “Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo.”

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — December 13, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Those do look good. But far too healthy for December.

Katrina — December 13, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Love the sound of that mayo!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 13, 2011 @ 8:02 am

No, I think if I know what’s good for me, I’ll be putting fries in my salad tonight. Why have I never thought of that?

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — December 13, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I have been dreaming of turkey burgers, I need to make these stat! Thank u for making me drool every morning at 7 am it is the highlight of my morning, well right after my coffee :)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Thank YOU for reading. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb — December 13, 2011 @ 8:11 am

delicious! i agree with you on the sans bun burger.. not happening. same thing with the lettuce wrap bun-sub. really?!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Oh God. I could never do that. Blech.

Ali @ Peaches and Football — December 13, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I’m not much of a bun-lover lately either. Just empty calories. I do love turkey burgers though! The lime mayo sounds just wild enough to try – normally I pass on mayo.

Alyse — December 13, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Try a really good feta like Mt. Vikos, or a thin slice of manchego.

Carrie — December 13, 2011 @ 8:27 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of Turkey Burger… This is mouth watering though. Guess I need to give it a go again. That may looks and sounds perfect!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 13, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I’m not a burger girl but I am a huge sauces and dips and spreads girl. And the Spicy Lime Mayo….yes, I’ll take two cups of that b/c I like a little food alongside my vat of dip.

Bev Weidner — December 13, 2011 @ 8:30 am

This recipe is reaaaaally close to our Weidner burgs! Except we add herbs and panko to the mix. And I still top it with a 4-foot block of cheddar. And all was right in the world.

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 13, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Oh yum! What a great twist to a hamburger!! The dip is perfect!!! I love Rooster Sauce (sriracha sauce)!

Kim in MD — December 13, 2011 @ 8:32 am

I agree about the bun thing…I can’t eat a burger without the bun. A burger without the bun is called meatloaf…eeck! I love turkey burgers, though. In fact, I prefer them over beef (don’t hate me). This one sounds so delicious with all of those Asian flavors! I think the mayo is perfect, too, Jessica. I agree about not adding cheese to this burger. I think it’s perfect as is, and I can’t wait to make it!

• Kim in MD — December 13th, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I forgot to add -how cool is that photo of the turkey burger in the pan with the smoke whisping around it? That is amazing! I would call that a money shot! :-)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Aw, thanks Kim!! :)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 13, 2011 @ 8:40 am

These sound delicious—I was going to make turkey burgers tonight anyways…might have to go with this variation!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 13, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I’m a big hater of the turkey burger, too, but this looks pretty darned good. I love sesame oil with a passion that is frightening. Me thinks I may try this with chicken or ahi tuna, which I’m sure will make me a big weirdo.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

No way… I think it will be better with chicken.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 13, 2011 @ 8:43 am

i can’t imagine eating a burger without a bun, but i’ll take your word that it’s delicious. as for the version with the bun, i’ll take 5 please :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 13, 2011 @ 8:44 am

I think burgers are the most creatively delicious foods out there. Really, the combinations are endless and I love that they can be made with almost any kind of protein! This looks and sounds amazing! You know I’m in if no cheese is needed! YUM!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 13, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Yumm these sound delicious! I love the rice wine vinegar + lime combo. And don’t hate me, but I eat most burgers on top of salads!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

I could never hate you!

Caitlin Jane — December 13, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Ummm #yumyumyumandyum. Those buns look so delcious!… Wait, that sounds so wrong.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 13, 2011 @ 9:06 am

I love turkey burgers! How about trying some havarti with these Asian-style burgers next time?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Ohh that sounds amazing.

Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber — December 13, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I am kind of a turkey burger freak, but I usually only like the ones that I make. I refuse to order them from a restaurant, and those nasty pucks they sell at the grocery store- gross! The key to good turkey burger is to add lots of yummy ingredients because let’s face it ground turkey by itself is really boring. I have made a ton of different turkey burger combos, but never one with these ingredients. I can’t wait to try it!

katie @KatieDid — December 13, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Ha I actually don’t mind burgers without buns. I totally can still get the guac and bacon on there too. Sure it’s a little messier but nothing wrong with a little guac all over… everything. I’ve never been a fan of ground turkey over ground beef but THESE look sooo so good. Gotta try these stat.

Robyn — December 13, 2011 @ 9:10 am

We love grilled burgers at our house. I tell the Hubby “tonight we are having the Great American Hamburger for supper.” We eat BEEF … mostly because we raise it, have a freezer full of it, and love it! I have never had a turkey or chicken burger. I do like to mix a little sausage into my ground beef for added burger flavor.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I wish I had a freezer full of wonderful fresh beef! Trust me, so does my husband.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — December 13, 2011 @ 9:15 am

And so continues my endless quest to find and deliver delicious burgers for dinner that don’t come in a freezer box. (Except the Morningstar Chipotle burgers bc they are insanely delicious. Even on salads.) Can’t wait to try these!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I’ve never had Morningstar but my husband is obsessed with freezer box hamburgers. Like, he eats them everyday.

Molly @ RDexposed — December 13, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I think my patients would prefer your carb counting education over mine!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 13, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Totally booked in my “new recipes for the new year” folder! YUM!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — December 13, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Turkey burgers have never sounded that appealing to me, but if it had you loving them, then there’s hope.
    And that mayo sounds incredible.

Cait's Plate — December 13, 2011 @ 9:35 am

I know what’s good for me…it’s that! I just don’t have time to put it on my table tonight. Can you send me a few!? Thanks :)

Stacy — December 13, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I LOVE turkey burgers! Since I have some in the freezer I may have to try this soon!! Thanks!

amanda @ fake ginger — December 13, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Looks ah-mazing! I’ve been craving a burger for weeks – you’re torturing me!

Shari @ The Daily Dish — December 13, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Yum! These look awesome and that cheese soaked in syrah sounds incredible. I may have to pick some up!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — December 13, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Oh these look yummy! I love turkey burgers!

Kath — December 13, 2011 @ 10:17 am

I’ve never been a fan of turkey burgers, but your version, with all of the big Asian flavors, looks fantastic! I have a nearby Asian market that sells really lean ground pork; I bet it would make awesome burgers with your seasonings!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — December 13, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I love turkey burgers and they are usually the only kind of burgers I’ll eat so I can’t wait to try this! :-)

Lisa @ Life in Green — December 13, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Putting this into this week’s meal plan…which is completely blank right now. :)

DessertForTwo — December 13, 2011 @ 10:31 am

I’m such a turkey burger fan. I’ve been needing a new recipe!
    My go-to is ground turkey with apples & celery minced inside, then topped with cranberry mayo, served on an English muffin. It’s delicious, but you get tired of it after a while. Yours look fabulous!!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — December 13, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I looove turkey burgers, usually better than real beef burgers. So good, esp with sweet potato fries!

Karly — December 13, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Well, I admit that I love ground meat all by itself (helloooooo, meatloaf??), if it’s shaped like a burger it’s getting topped with cheese and wearing a bun. A WHITE bun. Your bun up there looks all fancy and healthified. I’m almost disappointed in you for that.

Cookbook Queen — December 13, 2011 @ 11:04 am

This will haunt my lunchtime dreams. Suddenly the peanut butter and jelly feast I had planned has lost it’s appeal.

Ashley — December 13, 2011 @ 11:13 am

This looks like an excellent combination of flavors. For some reason, I typically prefer to eat my burgers without a bun….when I was eating burgers that is. I wanted all the flavor from the burger + toppings! It wasn’t anything to do with carbs. Actually, I would usually leave the bottom bun on, because it soaked up all the juice. Then, I would just eat the top half after finishing the burger. The top half with ketchup of course. :)

The Home Cook — December 13, 2011 @ 11:21 am

These sound amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 13, 2011 @ 11:32 am

I used to do the lettuce wrapped burger thing when I was in that stupid phase known as low-carb. How the hell did I ever think that was gonna stick?!
    It’s not that the burger doesn’t sound good, because it totally does, but I want to lick that lime mayo off the screen. Love.

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — December 13, 2011 @ 11:35 am

This looks like a really fresh, unique dinner idea!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — December 13, 2011 @ 11:52 am

I’m making this….asap. These burgers are right up my alley.

Steve @ the black peppercorn — December 13, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Jessica, wow what a great combination of flavours! This looks fabulous. I have not had many turkey burgers. I am a beef guy but these look good. I love asian flavours and go through many bottles of sriracha chili sauce. Thanks for this post.

Karen T. — December 13, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Ok don’t hate me….but I don’t eat hamburgers. My mom went through a phase of not allowing us to eat fast food burgers when I was younger and refused to make them for like 5 years. So by the time she started again I had no urge to eat any. I think I’ve had a total of maybe 8 burgers in about 15-20 years. So now I eat turkey burgers and man do they usually suck. They’re usually dry and tasteless :( But once you find a place or learn how to make them correctly they can be just heavenly!! I always have swiss cheese on my turkey burgers. It’s not an overpowering cheese, but still enough flavor that it mixes well with all kinds of sauces. Just a thought :)

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — December 13, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

So you got lured by the cheese of the month samples at TJ’s, too? I bought a wedge and the bf declared that he wasn’t a fan… so it looks like I have a whole wedge to dominate before I go out og town next week. Whoops. I don’t think you need a cheese on these – Asian and cheese never really seem to go – but if you wanted something gooey I would think that a mild cheese like monterey jack would work best.

Molly — December 13, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Your posts always make me SO hungry!

Candice @ Sailing on Paper — December 13, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

The mayo looks pretty amazing…the right sauce can take a burger from blah to delicious. Thank you so much for sharing!

Evan — December 13, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Whoa! Same page over here – I made Thai-style turkey burgers last night. Love giving ground turkey an Asian feel – there’s something about the combo that works beautifully.

Delicious-looking post, as always!

Michelle — December 13, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Am I hungry? I’m ALWAYS hungry! I can’t get into burgers without buns either. It seems kind of sacreligious.

For your Asian burger cheese inspiration: http://la.eater.com/archives/2011/04/25/the_spice_tables_southeast_asian_cheeseburger.php (Kraft?!)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Whoa… Kraft? Also, I wonder what this shrimp paste is? Hmmm.

• Michelle — December 13th, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

I am equal parts intrigued and horrified.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Looking Back on 2011 | my kitchen addiction

2. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayonnaise | Kathleen's Mean Bean Machine

3. Pingback: mid-morning hunger: burgers « cactus & kudzu

4. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers « Lettuce with a Perm

5. Pingback: A Weekend of Food Fun! « Dodging Acorns

6. Pingback: Another Great Weekend In the Books « Dodging Acorns

7. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes for Football Season.] | Lifestyle Pins

8. Pingback: Cook: Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo

9. Pingback: Thai Turkey Burgers | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers w/ spicy lime mayo | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

11. Pingback: Summer Recipe Ideas | Blonde Ambition

12. Pingback: Roasted Jalapeño Cheddar Turkey Burgers with Smoky BBQ Aioli | How Sweet It Is