Bang Bang Grilled Corn.
This bang bang grilled corn is delicious! Drizzled with a creamy, sweet and spicy sauce, topped with cotija cheese. So good!
It’s finally corn on the cob season! WOOHOO!
There is nothing we love more than a good ear of corn on a hot summer day. This recipe is so easy but adds a ton of flavor and is a fun way to take things over the top!
Which of course, I have to do. Always.
At least it’s not as trashed up as hot cheetos grilled corn!
Bang bang corn just sounds like a thing, so let’s make it a thing! I promise you’ll be into it.
I know I’ve done multiple versions of grilled corn over the last 13 years… grilled corn with bacon butter, grilled corn with sweet and mustard butter! It’s all so darn good, so I figured I had to try it drizzled with bang bang sauce. Like a take on mexican street corn, but with bang bang sauce!
First, the bang bang sauce!
We absolutely love this bang bang sauce on so many things. I’m pretty sure it originated from Bonefish Grill and their bang bang shrimp – it’s a creamy, sweet chili sauce that tends to be blanketed on deliciously fried things. I’ve done bang bang shrimp of course, bang bang cauliflower (tacos AND salad!) and there is a to-die-for bang bang salmon burger in Everyday Dinners too!
The bang bang sauce is a slightly sweet, spicy creamy drizzle that really plays to your taste buds – it is SO good. It’s not overly spicy (I don’t like a lot of heat, and I love it) and has just the perfect amount of bite. It’s a mix of mayo, sweet chili sauce and chili garlic sauce – so there is a slight bite, but nothing crazy.
This time of year, we consume so much corn from our local farms. It’s finally PERFECT and will only be this delicious for six weeks or so… maybe eight if we’re lucky. While, sure, we are corn purists most of the time – even eating the kernels fresh from the cob (so crunchy! so sweet!), sometimes it’s fun to switch things up!
This is a great recipe to make if you want a fancyish side dish or are having a BBQ with friends. I grill the corn as I normally do, then drizzle with the bang bang sauce.
Next comes a sprinkle of cotija cheese. We always have it on hand. It’s crumbly, tangy and so savory. A little bit goes a long way!
Then the corn is finished off with a sprinkling of herbs. I prefer cilantro but if you’re in the camp that think cilantro tastes like soap, you can totally do parsley or any other fresh herb you love!
The herbs add this refreshing flavor that really takes things over the top.
Oh! And don’t forget a spritz of lime. Adds some brightness and REALLY tastes like summer.
So simple, but so wonderful!
Bang Bang Grilled Corn
Bang Bang Grilled Corn
- 6 ears of corn
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, like cilantro or parsley
- lime wedges, for spritzing
bang bang sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 3 teaspoons chili garlic paste/sauce (sambal oelek)
- Preheat your grill to the highest setting. Shuck the corn (I left the husk at the bottom for photos, but honestly, you don’t need to do that.). I don’t use olive oil or anything here - I find that it browns nicely on the grill and there is enough flavor with everything else! If you’d like, you can brush or spray it with olive oil.
- Place the corn on the grill grates and cook until charred and golden, rotating every few minutes. My corn takes 10 to 15 minutes total, maybe a bit less for smaller ears. You may need to remove smaller ears sooner.
- While the corn is grilling, stir together the bang bang sauce. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
- Remove the corn from the grill and drizzle on the bang bang sauce. Sprinkle the cotija cheese on top and then the herbs. Spritz with fresh lime and serve!
The best crunchy crisp ever.