Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal.
This apple cinnamon baked oatmeal is so satisfying and comforting! Make ahead and serve with honey, cream and cinnamon. Delicious and perfect for apple season.
I’ve got the most perfect breakfast for your September weekend!
Apple cinnamon oatmeal is a classic in this house and one that I will never get sick of. I mean, is there anything more comforting?!
I’ve never been shy about my quaker instant oatmeal obsession as a kid. It was my MOST FAVORITE EVER. I ate it for breakfast for years! And years and years.
My go-to flavors were strawberries and cream, then peaches and cream. Next though? Apples and cinnamon. Such a classic, comforting flavor and the texture was always so good.
I’ve made many versions of this best ever baked oatmeal before, and now we have apple cinnamon! Perfect for apple picking season! Really wonderful for, well, all the things.
These oatmeal baked apples are another huge favorite, but they are a little more high maintenance. And I have this apple cinnamon steel cut oats recipe, which is more like the traditional version. Oh – and my apple cinnamon oatmeal latte!
The baked will always be my favorite!
Here’s the thing about this oatmeal. And I say this EVERY TIME. it’s pretty much like oatmeal cake. This is not your morning oatmeal bowl full of health. This is the baked oatmeal that you make on the weekend or even for a special brunch. It’s the one that slices like a bar or cake, is dense yet flavorful and incredible when covered with a drizzle of cream.
This baked oatmeal uses quick oats, not old fashioned rolled oats, and the quick oats make all the difference.
The quick oats make the oatmeal turn out super chewy in the best way possible. The tiny quick oats provide the best texture – so much better than the larger rolled oats. Even though, yes, if I was to make myself a bowl of oatmeal this morning, I’d used old fashioned rolled oats.
But this isn’t that and this is basically the best darn oatmeal cake you will ever have!
To bring my nostalgic flavor to life, I added a ton of chopped apples and cinnamon. Of course. I also replaced some of the oil with applesauce for extra apple flavor. It turned out PERFECTLY.
Just to give you an idea of how much we love this… Emilia calls it “apple cinnamon roll.” She’s like “mama, can I have a bowl of apple cinnamon roll?”
It really does taste like an apple cinnamon roll! The tiny bits of apple give the best texture ever.
I love it with a drizzle of cream or milk on top. Just like I serve the original, it is so satisfying and comforting and well, like oatmeal cake. Oatmeal dessert!
More excellent news: you can make this ahead of time. You can make it ahead of time and reheat it each morning for breakfast. Or you can make it ahead of time before a holiday breakfast or brunch and reheat or serve it at room temperature. It’s so good, any which way you serve it!
Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 4 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (whatever you like! dairy or nondairy)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced apples (I don’t peel mine, but you can if you wish)
- sliced apples for topping
- honey, for topping
- cream, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Stir in the diced apples. Pour the mixture in the dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and set. Remove the dish from the oven. Let cool slightly then cut into squares and serve with sliced apples, a drizzle of milk or cream, a drizzle of honey and more cinnamon.
Look at that chew!