Savory Blue Cheese Pear Galette.
This post is sponsored by Harry & David! This savory pear galette is incredible! Flaky, buttery crust, juicy pears and crumbled blue cheese all over for the perfect sweet and savory bite. It’s delicious and fancy!
Pear season is here! And I could not be more thrilled.
This pear galette has a flaky, crunchy crust and is topped with lots of crumbled blue cheese. The combo is perfect – a hint of sweet, a touch of savory, a little tangy. It’s everything.
I also just love a galette because as we all know, I don’t have much patience for pie. Making a galette is just as delicious and so much easier. The crust is very “rustic” – meaning you can make it look however you want and totally get away with it! Um, sign me up. Sounds great!
I’m so excited to partner with Harry & David to bring you this delicious pear galette! If you’ve been around the blog for awhile, then you know that we’ve loved Harry & David forever – back when I was a kid, my dad would get the pears around the holiday season and we would all fight over them! They are just the best pears.
I’ve been lucky enough to work with them for years now and I’m so excited to bring you a new recipe with their Royal Riviera Pears.
I am telling you – NOTHING beats these pears! There is not a better pear out there. So juicy and perfect, we look forward to them all year long.
I’ve made so many different pear recipes over the year that I knew I wanted to take the savory route here. I’ve made salads and even margaritas in the past, but a sweet and savory galette sounded fantastic to me.
I ADORE this galette because it’s studded with blue cheese! The pear + blue cheese combo is such a classic and so good. The juicy, sweet pears combined with tangy, creamy blue cheese – there is so much flavor there. They complement each other and are just divine.
I used the Rogue Creamery blue cheese and gorgonzola from Harry & David. Years ago when I went on a press trip to Harry & David, I got to tour the Rogue Creamery and their cheese has been my favorite ever since. It’s exceptionally creamy! Their smoked blue is also probably one of my favorite cheeses of all time.
To make this galette, I used my classic galette crust (mother lovett’s pie crust!) and filled it with the Royal Riviera Pears. I sprinkled a little blue cheese on the crust, which gets crispy and SO good when the galette is baked. I also like to sprinkle on more blue cheese when the galette comes out of the oven.
The end result is packed with incredible texture and flavor, and just happens to be super pretty too!
I love making something unexpected like this galette for the holiday season. It can work as an appetizer or a dessert and is another one of those recipes that seems super fancy but comes together easily.
Plus, it’s DELISH.
Savory Pear Galette
Savory Pear Galette
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 3/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1.5 sticks or 12 tablespoons)
- for brushing: 1 egg + a few drops of water, beaten together
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 3 Royal Riviera Pears, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse just until combined. Add the cold butter pieces into the food processor and pulse until small coarse crumbs remain.In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vinegar and water. Sprinkle the water/egg mixture over the flour and pulse again until the dough comes together.
- Remove the dough with your hands and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the sliced pears to a bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch, sugar ginger and salt. Toss the pears well and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the fridge. Roll it into a “rustic” shape – no shape necessary really – until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Layer the pears in the center leaving a 2 to 3-inch border of crust. Once the pears are layered, fold the crust over top of the pears. Brush the crust with the beaten egg wash. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar, then press on the crumbled blue cheese.
- Bake the galette until the pears are bubbling and the crust is golden, about 40 to 45 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with more crumbled blue cheese, especially in the center with the pears where it will melt.
- Slice and serve!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Those crunchy blue cheese edges OMG.
One Comment on “Savory Blue Cheese Pear Galette.”
Rogue Creamery is so good – the Rogue River blue is incredible. Such a great galette idea. This looks great Jess!