Crispy Ranch Smashed Sweet Potatoes.
The best crispy ranch sweet potatoes!! These smashed sweet potatoes are sprinkled with ranch seasoning, roasted until crispy and served with homemade ranch on the side. A ranch lovers dream!
If you’re a ranch lover, this side dish is for you!!
My classic smashed sweet potato bites, showered with ranch seasoning and even roasted until super crispy and crunchy (look at those edges!). Then served with even MORE ranch. If you’d like.
I am here for it!
I first shared my smashed sweet potatoes in Everyday Dinners – a chili garlic version and they are incredible. While the sweet potatoes are a bit fussier than making smashed potatoes with baby red or gold potatoes, they are just as delicious, if not more. That savory sweet combo is everything.
My cousin Lacy has been roasting sweet potatoes with ranch seasoning lately and raving about them. So I knew we had to make some smashed sweets, ranch edition.
Now when it comes to the ranch seasoning, I like to use the one from Trader Joe’s. It comes in a shaker, is easy and delicious! You can also use something like a Hidden Valley ranch shaker – anything to get that extra ranch flavor. The sweet potatoes get smashed and covered in the seasoning – you want as much of the potato covered as you can!
The key to making a perfect version of these is to chop your sweet potato into a disk that is over one inch thick. This means that for your traditional medium-ish sweet potatoes, you’ll probably get three pieces. You’ll chop the sweet potatoes, par boil them so they are tender enough to smash, and then use the back of a glass to smash the potato into the baking sheet.
Yes, slightly high maintenance, but these are theeee most requested potato dish in our house. They are Eddie’s favorite – I just made them last week for his birthday! Any version of a smashed potato gets a rave review here.
I think the best part about these is how perfect they are for dipping. They are an excellent vehicle for sauce of any kind. Sure, ketchup is always going to work, but other sauces are even better. I like serving smashed potatoes with pesto and of course, cheese. Always cheese
But I also love using my homemade ranch! I have this in the fridge almost every week – we adore it. Of course, you can use your favorite store-bought one too. But the combination of the ranch seasoning AND the creamy ranch dressing… oh my. Flavor explosion.
And of course, these go with just about anything! Love a versatile side dish.
Smashed Ranch Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Ranch Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes in thirds - or if you have very large sweet potatoes, even 4 or 5 pieces. I like to leave the skin on sometimes, but feel free to peel them.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Boil the potatoes until they are just barely fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil. Place the potatoes on the sheet. Use your hand or the bottom of a glass to smash them once, trying to keep them in one piece. Sprinkle them all over with the ranch seasoning. I usually give them a quick spritz of olive oil to help the tops really brown.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove and top with fresh chives. Serve with ranch dressing. If desired, you can also sprinkle with a bit of parmesan cheese.
The golden edges are the best part!