This is how you make gooey, chewy, massive rainbow cookies that make everyone in life love your guts.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Lookie here! You don’t even need a mixer. You just mix all the goods with a whisk. Don’t have a whisk? Spoons work too.

Add some super cute rainbow candies… aka mini m&m’s. You could add regular m&m’s. Really… whatever floats your boat.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

This is the weird part. Roll your dough into a ball then rip it apart evenly with Hulk Hogan strength.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Bake cookies like this. Laugh because they look funny. Cry because you are ridiculous.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Not even joking. Really bake your cookies like this. It’s the SECRET.

While your cookies are baking, admire the adorable slash colorful slash overflowing bowl of mini m&m’s that you opened two bags of m&m’s for just so you could show all of your invisible internet friends what an m&m bathtub looks like.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

After your cookies bake and cool and you inevitably burn the skin off the roof of your mouth because you’re really a child with no patience, flip it over and look at how pretty it’s cookie butt is. Colorful cookie butt.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Stack up some giant rainbow cookies and set them by your overflowing m&m bathtub bowl. Pour a mason jar full of milk so you can photograph your cookies for your invisible internet friends, even though you hate milk and don’t even like to dip cookies in it.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Talk to your cookies because they are so pretty and perfect.

This recipe was sent to me by a reader, Gabrielle (Hi Gabrielle!), and as soon as it hit my inbox I knew I had to make them. I can easily say this is the best cookie I have ever made and that is no exaggeration. Ask Gabrielle… because I professed my love for her immediately like a complete weirdo.

Up until now, I have been using my fat snickerdoodle recipe… which took me hours upon hours to perfect, as the base for newer cookie recipes like my blueberry cookies and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I can say with almost 100% certainty that this will be the only cookie recipe I use for the time being… because if you can’t tell, I’m infatuated. With a cookie. Haaaalp me.

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Giant Rainbow Cookies

makes 18 large or 36 small cookies

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in the m&m’s.

Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.

Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be
soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

Note: to melt the butter I simply microwaved it, and to let it cool I allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.

ETA: a few readers have told me that this is the same recipe as Cooks Illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Giant Rainbow Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Finally, take one single bite of your cookie since you are the epitome of self control, then neatly pack them up to share with others. Do not eat any more cookies, ever, because you are always satisfied with one bite of dessert.

415 Responses to “Giant Rainbow Cookies.”

ensign_beedrill — November 9, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

These are great! First few times I made them they turned out good.

But if you’re thinking about making the dough one night, sticking them in the fridge, and then baking the cookies the next night, don’t. Dough takes forever to soften back up. ;)

Risa — November 29, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

“COOKIE BUTT” She said butt! LMBO! First time I have ever heard of a cookie having a butt, love it. I just bought some CINNAMON M&M’s and can’t wait to try them with this recipe. Thank you for posting, first time at your blog and totally love your recipes and snarkiness!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — December 10, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Hey Jessica! Had to tell you that I just made these, and they are amazing! I’m bringing them to my husband’s work Christmas party tonight, and I know that they are going to be a big hit! Thanks so much! I’ll be blogging about them soon, and I will definitely be linking up your recipe and giving you all the credit! You rock! ;)

natasha — December 17, 2011 @ 6:24 am

This is my go to cookie base now!
    I divided the cookie dough into four portions and added different mix-ins to each one. It was wonderful.
    And one of mine actually came out looking like a butt… ;D

Danielle — December 20, 2011 @ 12:36 am

I like these cookies, except everytime i make them i always have to add at last 1 cup more flour becauase the dough is too sticky. also when i rip them apart and stack them before baking it doesnt look or taste any different then when i just drop spoonfulls onto the pan

Katie — December 24, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

OH. MY. GOD. So delish. Thanks for the super-awesome recipe and the always entertaining blog!

Krys — January 25, 2012 @ 1:36 am

These cookies are in the oven, and I had the same issue as mentioned by another person–the dough turned out a bit sticky (more like a cake, despite efforts not to over mix.) I added about 2 tablespoons more flour and decided to do a test run (I’ll go look in a few in hopes that my cookies are not melding into one giant cookie!) Either way, I can tell Im already in trouble because this is the BEST tasting cookie dough straight outta the bowl EVER! Cross your fingers for me.

sally @ sally's baking addiction — January 25, 2012 @ 11:04 am

These cookies are the best thing I’ve ever baked. And I’ve made your better than crack brownies before lol! Jessica, this recipe is perfection and I will, without a doubt, use it as my go-to basic cookie recipe for different add ins. I think it is the extra egg yolk that makes them extra gooey and soft. I brought them into work and people were asking if I bought them from the store! You are amazing. Thank you for the wonerful recipes!! :)

Holly W — January 28, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog, and these look delish!
    Love that you posted the reality of the fact that we do so many little things like pouring milk just for the sake of the photo composition. keep it real!

Kaitlin — February 15, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

I had to share that I made two batches of these & they came out PERFECT!!

Any complaints on the recipe could probably be contributed to eggs not being at room temp or butter either not softened or not cooled. I followed the recipe exactly as listed (butter was cooled in freezer, though, due to my impatience), and the cookies were a hit at two birthday parties.

I also used the dough as a base for my “giant thin mint cookies”, subbing out the m&ms for crushed up thin mint Girl Scout Cookies and then “stuffed” them with thin mint cookies. My boyfriend took them to work and I’ve been getting requests ever since!!!!

shireen — February 22, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

These cookies are awesome!! Best tasting dough! Although, you have to make sure to centre and press down the top half of the ripped cookie dough.. in my first batch the top halves fell over in the oven.

Candice M — April 21, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

I just made two batches, turned out to be three cookie sheets of medium sized cookies and all I can say is I’m gonna need to go buy more m&ms… These are hands down, THE BEST cookies I’ve ever made, or ever eaten! My husband wants me to make a peanut butter cookie with these m&ms in them next! That could tie for winning cookie! Maybe?

Megan — April 25, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Ohmygoodness! Just took these out of the oven after making a double batch for my fiancee and his family! It was an absolute hit! So yummy and easy! Thank-you so much!

Annette — April 27, 2012 @ 3:51 am

These look and sound wonderful. The only thing I’m confused about is the recipe says to rip the ball apart and then squish the two halves together but in the picture it looks like you just have the dough halves stacked on top of each other, not squished together. So which way is it?

Sophie — May 12, 2012 @ 4:43 am

Those look seriously AMAZING! I can’t wait to make them!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Annamaria Settanni McDonald — May 16, 2012 @ 3:30 am

HELLO COOKIE! My son and daughter well all of us would love this cookie! My son is obsessed with M&Ms. He’s almost 3. So I am going to make these for him but I know they will be a hit with everyone. They look so yummy! Can’t wait to try them! I am a new follower. Please stop by if you’d like! I liked your page on Facebook as well!

Warmest Regards,
    Annamaria

Janel — May 17, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

The dough was too soft for me to split them. Next time, I’ll add just a bit more flour and/or refrigerate the dough for 30 min or so. I live in the mountains, so we do have to add a bit more flour to some recipes. Also ~ big deal here ~ your temp is 325! I made an assumption of 350 and you know what happens when you make assumptions!

Mary — June 5, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

I think you’re lying to us. You had a complete Cookie Monster moment after you took the last picture. The cookie disappeared, didn’t it? I know the ones I made did. Great recipe. Now I must see how it will work with the mini reeces cups I’ve got in my cabinet.

Cameron — June 17, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

Ok, this is now a favorite recipe in our household. My wife and daughters can’t keep their hands off the cookies. I used the large M&M’s and it was tough to make the small size cookies, I also found that I needed to refrigerate the dough for a little bit. It made it easier to work with. These cookies are fantastic and are easy to make. Great Recipe! Thanks for posting it for all of us! I think going forward I will need to double the batch as these cookies are not going to be around for very long!

Kate — June 20, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

These were delicious! This will definitely be my go-to cookie recipe from now on. I made two batches as one batch does not go far if you make big cookies. The first batch I used big M&M’s and the second I used Ghirardelli milk choclate chips. Both were delicious! My 2 tbs. scoop made for really big cookies so I can’t imagine what a 1/4 cup would make. I ended up using a 1 tbs. for some so I’d have more cookies to go around. For my next batch, I plan to use the milk chips with Heath bar crumbles :) Thanks for the great recipe!!!

Ida — June 21, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Hi, I made these again and I think I use too little flour. The dough is so wet. I considered putting it in the fridge for a bit, but I wanted to make them right now. LOL. I used PB M&M’s this time and made 16 huge ones. They spread out a lot and into eachother on the pan :/ any ideas?

• Nichole — July 16th, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

Make sure your dough is well-chilled and only place six cookies to a sheet. I don’t have any problems that way.

Nichole — July 10, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Thanks for this recipe! Made these today – a double batch and they came out so great. These might be my new chocolate chip recipe. The next time I want to make chocolate chip cookies, I’m going to try it.

Karen — August 8, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

Great recipe. Foolproof. Love it.

A.Mafi — August 9, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

I just made these and they were absolutely perfect! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

jessica — August 18, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

aack! how is it I am really just discovering you? yer awesome. like with a capital A. A fancy-pants capital A with curly-cues and the like. Thank you for your generosity!

Nancy Carlson — September 4, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Just took these out of the oven. Cooled one down by fanning like crazy so I could taste the deliciousness immediately. They are great! Softer chewy centers and look amazing. I made the quarter cup size and did the breaking in half thingie suggested which made them nice and BIG! I also added broken mini pretzels and sprinkles, I probably had closer to 2 cups of add ins and it totally worked. I love these.

Katy — September 13, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

I understand to bake them rough-side upward, but what about the bottom piece? Does it go rough side down?

Thanks,

Katy

Nika — September 22, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Thanks a lot for the recipe. I used regular M&M’s, but guess minis would have worked better. Anyway, the cookies were fantabulous, I’ll definitely be making these again.

JennC — November 16, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

Made these tonight with Coconut M&M’s….oh my. SO YUMMY!!!!

Zoe — November 25, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

these cookies are baking in my oven RIGHT NOW! My entire house smells amazing and I look forward to making more of your cookie recipes throughout the holidays.
    Was I supposed to grease the pan??

Emily — December 6, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

These are amazing! I halved the recipe and took them out so that they were a bit underdone. I love them!!

Madison — January 12, 2013 @ 11:43 pm

Just made this recipe and took to a party: they were a hit! (and I just ate 3 of them with frozen yogurt). Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! http://thesweetmash.com/blog/2013/1/12/maximum-mm-cookies

Bianca — January 22, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

Just made these, but I substituted all of the AP flour with bread flour… And they came out AMAZING!!! I left out the m & m’s (didn’t have any) but they were perfectly sweet and soft and delicious without them! I just sprinkled a little bit of powdered sugar on top once they were cool. Yum :)
    Oh and I also don’t use the ripping apart method. I just roll the dough into a ball and bake because the other method has never worked for me in the past!
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, Jessica!

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 27, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

i love Cook’s Illustrated’s “Perfect” Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe so I definitely want to try their Thick and Chewy version that you used!

Tanya — February 6, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

Just made these tonight to quote my kids “delicious”! I made another recipe that was very dry…but these cooked perfectly.

Tommi — March 20, 2013 @ 10:55 pm

I’ve been reading your blog since 2009 and I just wanted to say thank you. I hope you read this. Late nights in college, ignoring my homework and reading your blog (among with a few others) gave me the courage to quit pursuing my engineering degree and go to culinary school. I now am finishing up my last semester in culinary school, cook at a french restaurant in Nashville, and started my own blog last week. This recipe gave me the base for my favorite chocolate chip cookies and I posted about them this evening and linked back to you! Your creativity in recipe writing and great photography give me something to aspire towards.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — March 22, 2013 @ 10:29 am

OMG these look like the perfect M&M cookies! I’m kind of shocked that you used melted butter without browning it though :)

Arjun Kanuri — May 15, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

I pay a quick visit day-to-day some sites and blogs to read content, but this website presents feature based
    content.

Zed Power — May 27, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Looks yummy but too sweet for me!

Skye — June 5, 2013 @ 5:38 am

Hi! I tried these today but the dough was way too gloopy and greasy :( I had to add quite a lot of flour to make up the dough to the same texture as the picture. I’ll try again next time and see if it turns out better.

Abbygail — June 19, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

Thank you oh so much for this fab recipe! I have never really made a cookie I was proud of until I came accross this. It was a major succuess!

Sarah — July 13, 2013 @ 12:13 am

Glory these are undeniably amazing! I think these just shout Summer and I am drooling over all your fabulous creations! I had featured u in the post of Top 7 Creative Cookie Recipes For Your Kids on AllFreshRecipes, looking forward to ur newly recipes!

Sweet Sticky Rainbow — August 26, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

What lovely photos!

Meri — October 28, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I love these cookies!! I made them for the first time and they came out perfect!! my whole family loved them…thank you soo much :D

SumgalinSeattle — January 24, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

Thank you for this excellent post! I’ve had some bad luck, the last two cookie recipes I made fell flat (literally… spread out super flat). These turned out perfectly. I baked one batch on the Silplat (spread out further) and one batch on regular baking sheets (took a couple minutes longer to reach doneness but came out “puffier”.

brookem22 — February 1, 2014 @ 7:48 pm

Just made these. They turned out GREAT! Thanks for the recipe!

Julee Ellen — February 6, 2014 @ 9:27 pm

I love how fun you are in your posts, you are really engaging. Thanks for the tips!

Molly — May 2, 2014 @ 10:29 pm

Here’s the deal…..the reason these cookies are so good is because they start with melted butter. Every out of control baked good starts with melted butter. Fact. End of story. Take this knowledge with you through the rest if your life. I don’t mess with anything that doesn’t start with melted butter.

vicki — September 22, 2014 @ 7:57 am

I found your blog through yummly — you crack me up! I came to look at the peach tilapia recipe but quickly linked to cookies! YUM – can’t wait to try these.

Cathleen — November 3, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

Can stork margarine be used instead of butter?

1 3 4 5