With this weekend marking the unofficial start of summer (says me), maybe you’re looking for some delicious warm weather treats?

Maybe you’re still looking for ideas to make for your Memorial Day picnic that is in 8/24/48 hours? Maybe you’re a super planner and have stockpiled ideas since March? That would not be me. I’m a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, what-sounds-good-right-this-instant type of party food person.

We have to talk burgers. Cheeseburgers with mustard aioli are a must. Be untraditional and make some sweet potato burgers or crab cake sliders. Actually, just browse this entire section of sandwiches and burgers and please make me one. Or four.

You can make this chicken in the crockpot and be insanely low maintenance. It includes beer. Happy happy joy joy.

Don’t forget the hot dogs! Simple, traditional hot dogs may be best for your get together this weekend but promise me you will trash up a dog before September 2013. Pinky swear?

What is summer without baked beans? Nothing. That’s what it is. P.S. they are made with bourbon.

I have a dip dependency. Last year I consumed this white pizza dip with just a few other humans. Like the entire dip. Blueberry cheddar dip sounds weird but has never been followed up with a complaint. JUST DO IT. Cheesy caramelized corn dip is a food group. And this recent beer cheese queso should be a given. No words needed.

If you’re a corn fanatic like I am, you might enjoy some grilled corn cheddar quinoa. If quinoa makes your head spin you may as well just grill your corn then cover it in bacon butter. Yeah I said it. Bacon. Butter.

If you want to feel good about yourself, or as I call it “project don’t feel like crap on holidays” (which, by the way, I’m currently completely failing at) then you should probably make this summertime chopped salad. But my one and only vote goes to some roasted tomato caprese panzanella. I ate that at least once a week last summer. Since it’s a salad the bread doesn’t count. #truth

Thirsty and hot? Please have a margarita. If tequila frightens you (as it should), this cantaloupe coconut lassi is so fun.

I could never choose a favorite summer dessert, but I hope you’ll make some ice cream cupcakes or this gin and tonic cake. Super refreshing. So real.

What’s your summer treat of choice? Are you picnicking this weekend? That’s a verb now, you know. Tell me! I like to share.

27 Responses to “Stuff You Should Probably Definitely Make For SUMMER.”

Kellie - The Suburban Soapbox — May 25, 2013 @ 7:48 am

I always, every time, trash up my hot dog. Is there any other way? But a gin and tonic cake…..oh boy, I will be making this and hiding in a closet with it. Gin and I go way back. :-)

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — May 25, 2013 @ 7:55 am

I am all about some fresh fruit in the summer. I can’t get enough. Watermelon, pineapple and cantaloupe is on my grocery list every single week during the summer. And then I haul it all home and have my husband cut it all up. Isn’t it why we have then around?

But I also just love a good grill out with great foods, awesome drinks and yummy sweets. Those always turn out to be the best nights with the most laughter. I love it.

Molly @ Baklette — May 25, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I have not been stockpiling since March, and still have yet to decide what I am making! I wanted to test a recipe first, but it looks like we are just going to wing it! Thanks for the delicious ideas!

Monica — May 25, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Jessica – your pictures are always beautiful and mouth-watering! When I think summer foods, I’m think BBQ meats but then I go to fresh, sweet watermelon, and then I get to the good stuff – ice cream!! I’m off to make some ice cream pops for Monday’s BBQ! Have a great one!

• Jessica — May 25th, 2013 @ 8:22 am

thank you so much!

Tieghan — May 25, 2013 @ 8:22 am

Officially overwhelmed! Need to make this all!

Have a great Memorial Day!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 25, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I will almost definitely probably maybe make all of this stuff. SUMMER IS AWESOME!

Dan — May 25, 2013 @ 11:04 am

I made the white pizza dip on several occasions and each time it was a big hit. Have a great Memorial Day.

Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner — May 25, 2013 @ 11:08 am

Oh my gosh, how did I miss that roasted tomato caprese panzanella before? I have to make that this summer. I am sure there will be picnicking and ice cream this weekend, and I’m planning on making a low country boil.

Larry — May 25, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

What if I just… had one of each? Would that be too much? Or just enough? Screw it, who cares!? Calories don’t count on the holiday weekends (they are on holiday, too, duh).
    #realtalk

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 25, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Fun roundup and reminders! That blueberry dip. I remember when you posted that and always wanted to try it. And all your cheesy dips and spreads. And the drinks. And the desserts! Have a wonderful holiday weekend :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 25, 2013 @ 4:02 pm

I love Memorial Day because it is totally the official kick off for summer! What a great round up of recipes!

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — May 25, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

Amazing roundup of recipes. I have no idea what to do for Memorial Day yet but these recipes are definitely inspiring! & I want to try that blueberry cheddar dip!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 26, 2013 @ 8:03 am

Ohhhh, Happy Memorial Day!! What a great kick off to the summer! Love all of you recipes!

nessa — May 26, 2013 @ 9:50 am

Want to make all of these! Great post!

Lauren — May 26, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

The blueberry cheddar dip and cheesy caramelized corn dip are my favorites! Made them both last summer and they were HUGE hits. Thanks for the roundup, I am now officially ready for a delicious summer. :) Happy holiday weekend!

Sadie — May 27, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

I’m glad you shared the BBQ chicken again. That stuff is the best.

natalie @ wee eats — May 27, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

SO MANY THINGS TO MAKE! Can I just come over to your place and eat some?? :)

Cate @ CatesKitchenAdventures — May 28, 2013 @ 5:20 am

Ah I’m so jealous of your summer spread! So much so I nominated you for an award. Couldn’t resist!

Elinor — May 28, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

In reading this, I’ve realized I have made probably 75% of the things on your list. You have a stalker!! :)

Made that hot and cheesy corn dip this weekend for the 10th time probably – everyone looooved it (as always)

keep up the good work!

Desi — May 28, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

I need like every single one of these summery recipes in my life asap. I already have like a hundred recipes of yours bookmarked, now I’ve got like 20 more :) Love these posts you do, they help me catch up on recipes I may have missed. Is it weird that i love you and we’ve never met? :) lol

Jenn @ The Boiled Noodle — May 28, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

I kinda had to stop myself from drooling on my iPad screen :) These all look so wonderful…and since firing up the grill or just noshing out on the deck is as a staple at our house in the summer…I will be trying them soon! Thanks for sharing!!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 29, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Trashy hot dogs are my favorite :) this recipe list is fantastic!

Tina — May 29, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Just wanted to say “thanks”. Made the spicy beer queso with chorizo for a Memorial Day party and it was a HUGE hit! I was able to pack it up in a mini crockpot I scored at Target and people throughout the party were spooning it on everything — chips, burgers, veggies, etc.

Thanks again!

1. Pingback: Highlights: Kicking Off Summer » Relishments

2. Pingback: in case you missed it | saltysweetsour

3. Pingback: goat cheese peppadews. | Cody, Uncorked.