Veggie Supreme Detroit-Style Pizza.
I know, I know, I know! I juuuuust shared a pizza with you five minutes ago.
At least it felt like five minutes ago because the days are moving at lightening speed. But this is a special one! An extra special one.
Also, how do I live in a world where it feels like everything is extra special to me?
New favorite thing alert! This is FAB.
It’s funny when I make a supreme pizza with all these toppings, because in real life I tend to choose PLAIN pizza. I’m so legitimately boring with my pizza that it’s unreal. I occasionally like pepperoni and roasted red peppers and mushrooms but I’ll still almost always choose plain. Or a white pizza, which is also rather plain.
Sometimes it’s buffalo chicken, but that’s a very specific mood, you know?!
But here’s the thing! When the traditional “supreme” toppings are all together on the pizza? I LOVE THEM. Like I crave the flavors that they all create together. Or even remotely like at all. So all these veggie toppings are things that I’d happily throw on my pizza and eat like a champ.
And this one! This is my quick and easy take on the Detroit-style pizza crust! I mention this all the time, because we LOVE the pizza at Ironborn in Smallman Galley. I always want to recreate it after we have it. It’s just unreal.
I used this method from serious eats because they are basically my food bible. So! I made my regular old dough and put it in a smaller sheet pan with lots of olive oil. Kind of like making focaccia! The outer crust gets SO incredibly crispy and delicious.
My go-to toppings with a veggie supreme pizza are bell peppers, roasted peppers, mushrooms, black olives, onions and garlic. Together, this tastes like heaven! I know. Are you wondering if you’re on the right website? About the click that X in the corner to minimize this ridiculousness?
I’m light on the sauce (because it’s not my #1 thing) and heavy on the cheese (shocking, I know) which makes for the perfect pizza for me. Maybe a sprinkle of bacon if we’re being real.
OH and! If you’re into the cauliflower crust pizza, this is the BEST cauliflower crust and I have a pizza supreme version! It’s dreamy. One of my favorite pizzas, even with the cauli crust.
But this is SO not cauli crust… and here we are talking thick and crispy and burnt cheesy crust (the best part). Perfect for MONDAY! I mean, really. We all deserve a pizza on this day.
Veggie Supreme Detroit-Style Pizza
- 1 1/8 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese plus extra for sprinking
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- crushed red pepper for serving
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- At this time, I like to grate my cheeses and slice any veggies!
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a 9x13inch cake pan or dish. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead it a few times until silky, using a sprinkle of extra flour if needed. Place the dough in the pan and press it out towards the edges. It might not reach the edges at first (and it will spring back), so give it 10 minutes to rest, then try again. You can do this a few times, letting it rest and stretching it out! Once it's in the pan and as close to the edges as it will get, cover it and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees F.
- To make the pizza, press the dough down in the pan with your fingertips and remove any large air bubbles. Spread the sauce on the dough, leaving a small border around the edges. Add a small handful of cheese (the mozzarella or fontina!), then layer on the veggies and garlic! Add a few more tablespoons of sauce and then load on the cheese. It's okay if it's around the edges, because it will get crispy on the edges of the dough!
- Bake the pizza for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly and the crust around the edges is golden. Remove and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese. Run a spatula around the edges to remove the pizza. I like to remove it one rectangle and cut from there. Slice and serve it!
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Let’s do a beergarita with it too! That will cure all.
57 Comments on “Veggie Supreme Detroit-Style Pizza.”
Bring on more pizza posts! And yes, time is moving insanely quickly.
pizza mondays are my new favorite thing!
I’m so glad that you’re as obsessed with the pizza at Ironborn as I am!! Like why had I never heard of Detroit-style pizza before they came to town, and where has it been all my life?! I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not that I’ll now be able to recreate the addictive crust at home, but I’m definitely going to be making some pizza this weekend!
I KNOW!!! it is so so so good!
Ironborn is awesome! This past weekend we went to the Federal Galley, it’s right over by the Children’s Museum. They also have a Detroit Style pizza place there, and it was fantastic. It’s called Michigan & Trumbull. We also got food from Supper and El Lugar, love having so many options in one space!
yes!! we have been there too. i thought michigan and trumbull was also great!
Mmm this looks incredible. Does Ironborn generally have more sauce on there’s? I feel like on pictures I’ve seen it looks like a lot (I personally like a lot of sauce and cheese). I don’t generally order a lot of toppings when I order pizza either…I almost feel like if they aren’t done to my liking, idk, just would rather avoid, haha!
Speaking of favorites at PGH restaurants….Emporio, the government cheese there, so simple but so good…do you have any recipes with something similar to that cheese? I’m obsessed with that cheese there on pork balls or just with the tater tots.
you know what, they do! i wouldn’t say it’s an overwhelming amount though. i am really not a huge fan of tomato sauce and prefer less sauce on pizza (which is why there may be less on here, haha!) – so you can definitely add more!
OMG we loooove Emporio. It’s prob one of Eddie’s favorite restaurants! i haven’t tried the government cheese though! omg now i must.
As someone who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, I’m loving that Detroit style pizza is starting to make waves. This look so delicious!
Monica || https://www.onandoffduty.com
Monica – right there with you!!
love! thanks guys! xoxo
I usually hate supreme pizza, but this looks amazing!!!
Pingback: Veggie Supreme Detroit-Style Pizza. - Next Step News
I am also usually really boring with my pizza. I am currently eating low carb so I’d have to change out the crust but there are lots of options for that, one being mostly cheese based, so it would be good to add some veggies to a pizza like that!
Pingback: Detroit Style Pizza – Veggie Surpreme Detroit Style Pizza | TheDirtyGyro
you can share a pizza recipe with me seven days a week; never an apology necessary
thanks julie! xoxoxo
I just read “Doritos style pizza” then did a search of the ingredient list looking for the Doritos. Guess its Monday and I’m seeing what I want to see. Looks delicious either way!
Being from Detroit, it makes me so happy that everyone is loving on Detroit Style Pizza!!! It simply is the best!!
it really is! thanks rosa!
Pingback: Detroit Style Pizza – Veggie Surpreme Detroit Style Pizza – recipequicks
I rarely miss gluten – but today you have me craving this pizza like crazy! Looks amazing!!!
thank you jenna! xo
This looks good! The Zingermans
Cookbook came out last fall & their Detroit style recipe is perfect and so easy!! It’s exactly like the famous places around here (around & in Detroit)
i need that cookbook!
Omg! Being a metro-detroit native living in upstate new york, this brings joy to my pizza loving heart! Thanks for sharing and will give it a try.
thanks erin! xoxo
Thank you for the recipe! I’m going to try to make my own pizza dough soon. Have never made it before! I usually just take the easy way out and use a naan as the crust.
i love a good naan crust too. :)
Oh wow this looks so good!
Candice | beautycandyloves.co.za
Pingback: Detroit Style Pizza – Veggie Surpreme Detroit Style Pizza – Cravings Happen
Pingback: Detroit Style Pizza – Veggie Surpreme Detroit Style Pizza – Chow Hub
Pingback: Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread - Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza
Pingback: Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread. – Fruitide
Pingback: Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower Flatbread. - Proper Health Today
Is 550 right for the temp? My oven only goes up to 500…and I have a commercial series Kitchen Aid range!
it is! but i should have specified that in the serious eats post, they say put it as high as it goes. im surprised yours doesn’t go to 550 because my kitchenaid one does! i would do it at 550 and maybe give it 5 minute increments until it looks done. :)
thank you!!! making it right now, will post how it turned out :)
Pingback: Elegant Cakes – The Weekend Dish: 3/10/2018
Going to try this tonight. What pizza/marinara sauce are you using? Thanks!
I made this last Friday night and it was so good i almost cried!! I’m making it again tonight, except just a cheese version! I pre-ordered your cookbook…I can’t wait for it to arrive!!
i’m also from the detroit area and you nailed this pizza! it looks so good.
Pingback: Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza with Hot Honey and Goat Cheese
Pingback: Hot Honey and Goat Cheese Pepperoni Pizza. - Next Step News
This was fantastic! Made it tonight and it completely exceeded expectations. So flavourful, crispy and delicious! Will for sure make another million times!!
Can we see this on IG stories? Also wondering if all-purpose GF flour will work.
We have made this pizza so many times, and it never disappoints! The crust is so thick and pillowy, it’s insane! Like focaccia bread! But it’s pizza! We’ve even made a vegan version by just skipping the cheese. And it was still amazing. Highly recommend. :) Thanks for the great recipe!
Pingback: Easy Detroit-Style Pizza - Flaky Bakers
Sounds D-licious, & by looking at the Nutr. Info. – it’s totally GUILT FREE. Bring it on!
Fuck this recipe
Any suggestion as to how to substitute instant yeast for active dry?
Would whole wheat flour work?