Let’s talk pizza night.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Or in my case, pizza night(S).

Because the guy in my life likes to keep things PLAIN and, well… plain, pizza night can’t be like, “fun” pizza night. There can be no fontina portobello pizza or apple bacon pizza or stuffed crust pizza or thai chicken pizza. There can be no crazy cheeses or non-meat toppings and certainly nothing sacrilegious like fruit or balsamic glaze. We can have the traditional mozzarella, with way too much sauce, an obnoxious amount of pepperoni, and maybe if we’re lucky, provolone and roasted red peppers. Oh, and these days it can only be made on a garlic bread crust. Because it is so necessary to drench your carbs in additional butter once a week.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really blame him though. As much as I love crazy-face pizza flavors, true pizza to me will always consist of piles of stringy melty, gooey cheese, sauce and crunchy crust. I’ve never been wild about pepperoni but I don’t throw a tantrum and will simply pick it off if I’m not feeling it. But sometimes I eat it. Most times I’m indecisive. All the time I’m a rather huge pain in the ass to live with. I even feel that way about myself.

The thing is? I want that traditional version of pizza once a week too. Well, frankly, I could probably eat it thrice a week. Whatever. But traditional? It’s comfort. It’s home. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Quite literally too.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

So… now we just have to have pizza nightS. With a big, fat S. Because what I love almost as much as that traditional meal is creating fantastic, sometimes weird and delectable pizzas with an array of flavors. It’s like there are endless options to experiment with and for an impatient, always bored and scattered food obsessed freak, that is music to my ears.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

This pizza could be eaten for breakfast, but since I’m elbow deep in a serious egg obsession, which I like to refer to as my eggsession, I made it for lunch. Seriously, it’s taking all my willpower to not consume like six poached eggs a day. [Gah. So good!] I love the versatility of eggs and how they instantly add great flavor and texture to different foods. I’m on my way out with asparagus, but roasted to perfection with cheese on bread is somewhat doable at this moment in my life. And crispy bacon? Well, that’s self explanatory. Duh.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas

makes 4 small pizzas

1 batch garlic bread pizza dough (I didn’t add the garlic or spices, but you can if you want!)

4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated fontina cheese

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

4 large eggs

8 asparagus spears, stems removed and chopped into pieces

Make dough as directed, then separate it into four equal balls. Roll or press each ball into a small circle, pressing down slightly more in the center to create a little “dent” – this is where the egg will go and it will help keep it from rolling off the dough. Place dough on a nonstick baking sheet.

While the dough is rising, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until just somewhat crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Reduce heat to low and add onion, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix cheeses together in a bowl.

Brush each pizza with olive oil, then cover with a sprinkling of cheese. Add a few spoonfuls of the onion + garlic, bacon, then place a few pieces of asparagus on each pizza. I placed mine in somewhat of a box around the center to help hold in the egg. Crack the egg and gently place it in the center. Some of the white will roll down the sides and that is completely fine! Top with a bit more cheese and some fresh black pepper.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until egg is cooked to your liking and cheese is golden.

Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Weird but good: dip this in BBQ sauce.

93 Responses to “Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas.”

Carol — May 10, 2012 @ 6:55 am

Saw the title and thought – weird but intriguing. Saw the pictures and thought – I am SO making that tonight.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — May 10, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Pizza Nights(S!) Heck to the YES! I love me some good pizza and the possibilities are endless- as you have shown us through your creativity. I am diggin this new flip!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 10, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Can I come to your house to eat? This looks great and yes I would eat it for breakfast or anytime of the day! Great recipe, very creative!!!

jessica lynn — May 10, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I get something similar all the time out here. People think I’m crazy, but egg on a pizza is my favorite topping. Add some asparagus and pancetta and it’s perfect!

Kim in MD — May 10, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Forget dinner…I want this for breakfast! :-)

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 10, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Jessica. We’re so alike it’s scary… I was thinking to myself while reading this recipe… wow this owuld be good with some bbq sauce. I live for the stuff. I love all condiments.. seriously, it’s kind of gross how much I add to pretty much any food. ;) Anyhoo… plain pizza makes me wanna cringe (sorry Mr. How Sweet!). sooo yeah i’m loving everything goin’ on with these mini pizzas.

Lori @ Think Global, Art Local — May 10, 2012 @ 7:22 am

I’ve been wanting to try egg on pizza for ages…you totally just inspired me to finally give it shot :) The pictures alone have me craving this hardcore (too bad I had breakfast already….there’s always second breakfast, right?)

Simply Life — May 10, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Amazing! this would be perfect for any meal!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — May 10, 2012 @ 7:31 am

I could easily eat pizza every night of the week. And I love both traditional and nontraditional pizzas. This looks awesome … except that I’ve never cooked eggs like that before. But I think it’s something I need to try!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 10, 2012 @ 7:45 am

I’m with you on the eggs – just can’t get enough of them!! I’m also a fan of breakfast for dinner (bacon and eggs for dinner) but this could technically be dinner for breakfast, since pizza’s kind of a dinner food. Haven’t tried eggs on a pizza yet but you can bet I will be now!

Milisa @ Miss in the Kitchen — May 10, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Eggs are probably the food I cook the most, right up there with hamburgers. Egg on pizza, I’m there!

Laura — May 10, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Mmmmm, my man loves an egg on everything! I need to show him this…I’m more like your husband when it comes to pizza ;)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 10, 2012 @ 8:24 am

That egg is gorgeous on there and obviously making pizza for breakfast okay.

Rachel Cooks — May 10, 2012 @ 8:35 am

It’s like you read my mind–this looks so delicious! My guy is a pepperoni guy too, I like lots of veggies on my pizza…but I know you probably don’t know anything about that ;)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — May 10, 2012 @ 8:38 am

These amazing little pizzas have just made my weekend menu, and I cannot wait to bit into one. What a fantastic breakfast or lunch pizza idea!

Jan — May 10, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I’ve been dying to try baking an egg over a pizza. These look yummy! My life needs a few more pizza nights I think ;)

Julia — May 10, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Loooooooove these! Amazing flavors, and pretty much perfect for any and every meal!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 10, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I have never had egg on pizza, but I love eggs & pizza, so it makes perfect sense to combine them! As always ur pictures are beautiful and make me hungry!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — May 10, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Pretty sure this is the prettiest pizza that I’ve laid my eyes on!! Love the flavors here too, asparagus on pizza for the win! (just typed “wine” — shocker there lol :P)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — May 10, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Any variety of pizza always suits me…regular ol red sauce and cheese to various toppings, sauces and cheeses, I’ll eat it all. I have to say I still haven’t tried a fuity pizza like the one you mentioned and I’m sure I’d love it just the same as the savory kind :) Love the egg idea and you go it just perfect on top of the little pizza. Nice!

Erin — May 10, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Such a cute idea. I used to have pizza nights with my friends all the time back in high school. My dad and I would prepare a bunch of dough beforehand, and everyone would form their pizzas into whatever shape they desired (we had elephants, monkeys, pigs, flowers, stars, butterflies…) and use any toppings from the line up (which back then didn’t include anything too out of the ordinary).

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — May 10, 2012 @ 8:50 am

I’m sooooo going to have to make these for our pizza night this week!!!! My hubs *loves* a runny egg and slapped on top of a pizza with bacon and asparagus?!? Yes, he will be in pizza heaven. As for me, I’d leave the egg off…gg yolks give me the creeps b/c that’s where mayonnaise comes from *shudders*

Nina — May 10, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Eggs on pizza. I am in love. Can’t wait to try this. Don’t know if the hubs will like it, but he eats peanut butter on burgers, so I think it’s only fair that he would try it!

• Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — May 11th, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Peanut butter on burgers sounds so weird, but it is absolutely delicious!!! We have an incredible burger joint within walking distance of our house (bad news) who makes EVERYTHING homemade, down to the pickles, ketchup, mustard, and mayo. They have a burger called “The Memphis” that is to die for. It is made with a freshly ground beef, turkey, or black bean burger (your choice) and then topped with fresh banana, applewood smoked bacon, and homemade crunchy peanut butter. It is so flipping good. Granted, I only eat it in slider form, but it is by far one of the best burgers on the planet. Sounds crazy (and it is), but it’s also crazy delicious!!!

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 10, 2012 @ 9:06 am

New take on breakfast pizza. Love it. Wish I hadn’t just eaten breakfast!

Devon @ The Food Bitch Blog — May 10, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I have been OBSESSED with all things egg lately.. especially slathered with buffalo sauce. But you added bacon. And pizza. I’m in love.

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — May 10, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Personal indeed! Why on earth would I want to share that thing??
    I’ve been egg obsessed my whole life!

Jessica — May 10, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Pizza with an egg on it pretty much changed my life. Much like dry shampoo, Carmex Lime, and DVR. In no particular order.

Stacy — May 10, 2012 @ 9:15 am

This looks fan-tastic! My personal pizza obsession is chicken, with sauteed apples and red onions smothered in cheddar cheese. LOVE your ideas.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — May 10, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I like your “eggsession”! Pizza is by far my favorite food – ALWAYS searching for the best one around. I’d have to scramble my eggs though, just can’t do the runny stuff – it kind of freaks me out.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 10, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I’m in a full-fledged egg obsession as well. I can’t stop putting soft boiled eggs on everythingggg.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — May 10, 2012 @ 9:22 am

MMM!! I bet this would be great dipped in balsamic vinegar too. Adding this to the dinner menu asap!

Miriam — May 10, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I really want to make this pizza RIGHT NOW, for breakfast!… But since I’m at work I will content myself with some peanut butter toast.

So, I will make that tonight : my boyfriend, especially, will be thrilled… and will probably think that I have fallen on my head or something because really, I have never ever bought bacon in my life… Now, I know how crazy you probably think I am! ;)

Morgaine Fey — May 10, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Mmmm…I wonder what the reheat possibilities are for these. The boy will HATE it and will refuse to touch it, but I want these NOW. Breakfast for a week maybe, with a recipe for four? Who knows! I shall experiment!

You always are so FREAKING inspiring, Lady!!!

• Jessica — May 10th, 2012 @ 9:41 am

You can definitely reheat – I did and they were pretty good, however the egg will cook more.

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} — May 10, 2012 @ 9:42 am

you’d be found among the culinary genius in Naples

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — May 10, 2012 @ 9:44 am

There’s too much to love about these pizzas! The fact that they’re small, so I can eat two. The eggs – nice and runny the way I like them! The bacon because, you know, bacon. I love the idea of the bbq sauce too! BBQ chicken pizza is one of my all time favorite pizzas! Great recipes and photos Jessica!

Cait's Plate — May 10, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Aaaand you’re still in my head!! I currently have 1908304928305 tabs open looking at “breakfast pizza” recipes!!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — May 10, 2012 @ 9:59 am

I adore egg on pizza! Dipped in bbq sauce? yum!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — May 10, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Best pizza I ever had was in Georgetown at Pizzeria Paradiso – that beauty had an egg and caviar on top. It was life altering, axis tilting – and I’m not a caviar fan. More pizzas should have egg on them. Thank you for spreading this pizza-gospel to the masses. It’s gorgeous, as per usual.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — May 10, 2012 @ 10:00 am

um yeah, this looks awesome. i love to switch pizza up with some non traditional toppings… and bacon makes everything and anything better.

Stephanie — May 10, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Wow, egg on pizza. I’ve GOT to try this! Thanks!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 10, 2012 @ 10:12 am

egg on pizza is seriously one of the most genius “inventions” of our time. If you’ve seen the PW wednesday series at all, we’re doing a breakfast pizza for the next one and the excitement I have about making it is kinda embarrassing.

Bev Weidner — May 10, 2012 @ 10:15 am

YES AND YES AND YES.

and YES.

Ashley — May 10, 2012 @ 10:19 am

The egg on topppp, yesssssssssssss. Okay, I can’t help but be excited about the egg + your eggsession. I feel the exact same way. I eat around 3 per day. Have you tried soft boiling yet? In love!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — May 10, 2012 @ 10:26 am

I am definitely making this for my husband! This is GREAT combo that includes all of his faves — eggs, asparagus and meat (yeah, he’s not picky any and all meat are big wins with him)!!

Mary @ Have the world on a string — May 10, 2012 @ 10:36 am

OMG this combines everything I love! Will be making this weekend!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 10, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Egg on a burger, I’ve heard of. Egg on a pizza… only in the most hushed of tones with a “breakfast pizza” connotation. But this, a drippy egg on a gourmet pizza? What? Fantastic!

Iris — May 10, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Looks like the perfect breakfast pizza! Maybe I should make this. I’m totally in a brekkie rut.

Allie@sweetpotatobites — May 10, 2012 @ 11:12 am

pizza night(S) is a staple in our house too…love egg and bacon on pizza!

elise — May 10, 2012 @ 11:41 am

had to comment because im in my own little eggsession right now too. being mostly veg*nish for so long, i was late to the party, but now i cant get enough of them. ive been flagging, starring, and bookmarking eggy pizza recipes but im nervous about making the plunge. is it really as simple as it seems? 30 minutes and the whites get cooked all the way and the yolks arent over-done?

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — May 10, 2012 @ 11:47 am

Anything goes on pizza in my opinion! Mmmm love this idea.

1. Pingback: Meal Plan 5/14 - 5/18

2. Pingback: Weekend Things - Recipe: Breakfast Pizza | Cooking for My Kids

3. Pingback: A little kooky « College Kid Yoga

4. Pingback: Scratch Pizza: Bacon, Egg, and Asparagus « HYPEBEASTEATS | eat good, stay fresh!

5. Pingback: Springtime Mushroom, Asparagus + Prosciutto Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is